F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanting a cold air intake. My questions are, are they worth it without tuner? Has anyone put one on and if so what do you think? I don't want to do tuner because I had a bad experience with one in the past, the truck was never right.

Thanks,
Ross

·
Registered
537 Posts
There are a number of post on this very subject. Manufactures say that the return in HP/TQ are seen without the use of a tuner, However the results are better when mated to an aftermarket free flowing exhaust. But for best results when a tuner is added to the equation you will see/feel the absolute results.

I have always become a believer that the most power you will ever get out of an air take system will be the simple "Seat of the Pants" power feel. Many time you may end up with a drop in MPG due to liking the sound of power produced by the new intake sound.

My son added one to his truck along with the down pipe. He then talked highly about the improvements it added. After a few weeks he then ordered the plate to cover the open box design of the intake and then raved about how much more quite the truck was in the cab.

Of course he also kept adding items in a quest for great power and performance. His final add to increase power was to trade it in on a RAPTOR. He seems happy now, except for the MPG.

If you are wanting more power there is a AFe product on the market that adds a couple of pounds of boost across the RPM range which should result in added HP/TQ without reprogramming the computer. It is an inline plug and play set up that alters the reading to the computer and then the stock program adjust to the reading received and increased the boost of the truck.

There is a member report due to be posted here on the forum very soon. You may want to keep an eye out for it. This part is also much less expensive than an intake system. Check out the Stage3Motorsports sponsor link here on the forum.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Well said jon,
I have not been happy with a few of the CAI add ons unless other mods are there to compliment them

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wanting a cold air intake. My questions are, are they worth it without tuner? Has anyone put one on and if so what do you think? I don't want to do tuner because I had a bad experience with one in the past, the truck was never right.

Thanks,
Ross
Ford engineers did a pretty good job on the intake, it already is a CAI. I have heard that little or nothing is gained by changing it........the filter is a diff story. Add a good after market filter. I put a K&N in mine as I have with all my past trucks...........

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
As stated, an intake alone provides minimal gains but does give you the "induction" noise. I've had a tune on my past vehicles, as well as this EB, and have had good luck with tuning.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information guys. I guess I'll leave it alone. I did already put K&N in it. I don't want a tune it because in 2008 I bought a new Chevy with vortec max in it. I put cold air intake and chipped it with edge programmer. It ran strong when it ran. It was always throwing check engines lights and I would have to take the program out and take it to the shop. They couldn't tell what was wrong and would say we reset the computer. This went on for months and the truck died on the highway one day and wouldn't start. 24,000 miles on it and I traded for my first ford 2009 F150 FX4. I've owned 3 FX4s since then. Never going back to Chevy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts