F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone’s perspective on getting cold air system on a 2022 3.5 eco, should I get one or is the stock intake maybe with a drop in filter good enough. Feed back please. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,669 Posts
The stock is a very good CAI in all aspects, except sound and appearance. Unless you plan significant mods for your new truck, and even tuning is off the table with a 2022, you will see no power/economy improvement.
I'd save the $$$ for shock replacements, I have little confidance in OEM dampers. KM

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,387 Posts
What is everyone’s perspective on getting cold air system on a 2022 3.5 eco, should I get one or is the stock intake maybe with a drop in filter good enough. Feed back please. Thanks
Stock intake is better than a lot of the aftermarket intakes. A lot of the aftermarket intakes don’t even flow test their products and some of them create a ton of turbulence in the air, reducing the smooth flow of the stock intake. There’s a reason I run a y-pipe style intake like the stock intake, and even though I have big aftermarket turbos, I have ran the stock intake with them many times and it does great!

My opinion - Don’t get an aftermarket intake if you want increased power. Won’t happen. The engine adjusts to the extra airflow to make the same power it did before.
If you want more sound from those beautiful turbos, then by all means, get one!! Do your research though, and just my personal opinion, stay away from AFE, and Injen, and some of the dual tube/filter intakes. I am very pleased with my JLT intake!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
unless you get the sealed airbox intake, the intake air is going to go up about 3-5 degrees with a "cold" air intake. thats what mine did. but it is pulling more air from the engine bay, and since the air is passing through turbos and gaining somewhere in the ballpark of 60 degrees as the air is compressed, it would make more sense to upgrade the intercooler first, that's the only way to actually reduce intake temp.

the stock intake pulls 100% of air though the vent above the grill, I haven't exactly scienced it, but I am fairly certain that duct is the bottleneck no matter what sealed airbox intake you use. so while the intake temp remains the same as stock, I am not convinced you are really pulling in more air.

these are just opinions, loosely based on experience with my truck, and I am sure someone has done the research to confirm or disprove my thoughts.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,387 Posts
You will not gain anything but a lighter wallet.
What are you saying… I have a lighter wallet?

Darn, you’re right. 😂

It’s actually nice to have both stock intake and the JLT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up my 2022 XLT 3.5. Are we saying that ecu tuning is no longer possible? Thus the standard CAI, Intercooler and piping, turbo back exhaust with down pipes can’t be done?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,387 Posts
I just picked up my 2022 XLT 3.5. Are we saying that ecu tuning is no longer possible? Thus the standard CAI, Intercooler and piping, turbo back exhaust with down pipes can’t be done?
Nice! No, we are just saying that you can do those mods, exhaust, intake etc. but you won’t see any benefits from them aside for looks and sound unless you have a custom tune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice! No, we are just saying that you can do those mods, exhaust, intake etc. but you won’t see any benefits from them aside for looks and sound unless you have a custom tune.
Ah. So that’s why all the manufacturers of their individual CAI say xx HP gain after a tune. I’ll start my own thread with my additional questions. Thanks boostking

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,387 Posts
Ah. So that’s why all the manufacturers of their individual CAI say xx HP gain after a tune. I’ll start my own thread with my additional questions. Thanks boostking
The only reason they say that is for click bait. Most companies run their products on a stock f150 and the truck gains horsepower on the stock tune, but it doesn’t have enough time to learn and reality is, if you drove the truck for a day, and then dyno it again, you wont see any gains, the gains would be gone. The truck adjusts and says, “oh, there’s more air? We’ll adjust to make the truck hit the torque commanded by the trucks computer” You might gain a bit of power from them with a tune, mostly exhaust, intake doesn’t really gain you anything at all, in fact the stock intake is literally better than most aftermarket intakes. Only reason I have the JLT intake is for sound. Otherwise I’d be running the stock intake, even on big turbos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts