F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was tired of seeing all you FX/Lariat/Platinum guys with your pretty color matched door handles and mirrors so i pulled mine off this weekend and color matched them. Here's a before, during, and after picture.
WP_000140.jpg WP_000145.jpg WP_000146.jpg

Reactions: strongarm18

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nice job! I wish I could switch from chrome to all color like my old FX4 lol

·
Registered
859 Posts
Looks great Matt! How hard was it to pull the handles off?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great Matt! How hard was it to pull the handles off?
Thanks for the compliments guys!

As far as pulling the handles off it’s not hard at all, you just have to be very careful not to drop the mounting hardware inside the door........if you’re not careful a good magnet will be a necessary tool......don’t ask me how I know.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Spray painting always looks great at first - it will never pass the durability test.
Hate to sound so down on your idea. I have been modding trucks, cars and motorcycles a long time now and spray paints rarely yield satifactory results over time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spray painting always looks great at first - it will never pass the durability test.
Hate to sound so down on your idea. I have been modding trucks, cars and motorcycles a long time now and spray paints rarely yield satifactory results over time.
If by spray paint you mean "rattle can" this is not it.... I used PPG DCC single stage. Prepped the handles by sanding and scuffing with the appropriate solutions, cleaned VERY well, sprayed adhesions promoter, and finally the PPG. It’s a lot of extra work and $$ over rattle can but I’ve used this process in the past and it has lasted many years without chipping or fading.

Reactions: strongarm18

·
Registered
17 Posts
looks awesome, I was thinking about doing this to my chrome when I black my truck out but I'm afraid later down the road I'd want the chrome back.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
looks awesome, I was thinking about doing this to my chrome when I black my truck out but I'm afraid later down the road I'd want the chrome back.
Maybe plastidip would be better so you can remove it later

·
Registered
868 Posts
i just picked up a color matched rattle can for my truck but its not what you guys are thinking of !
it actually cost me $57 for a spray can of paint and a can of clearcoat but i bought it at an autobody supply house and they inject it right into an empty spray can.
so it actual single stage automotive paint but i had to pay like $25 ea for the convenience of having the rattle can.
i think it was worth it because i dont have to mix anything and dirty up a gun then fuss with cleaning everything in between paint and clearcoat

·
Registered
227 Posts
What a difference! That looks great.
I was going to go to an autobody and have them do it, not very in tune to doing stuff like that on my own, but I really dislike the plastic (my handles are chromed w/ the plastic back)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts