F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about colour matching my chrome grill. My truck is grey. My only option is to take it off and paint in my garage. After I paint it, will it be ready to install in a few hours and drive with it? Is that enough time to cure. It’s pretty cold here now.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would at least let it sit overnight then feel it out in the morning. If you have a space heater I would recommend trying the keep the garage as warm as possible to help it cure faster. What paint are you planning on using and what steps are you going to do to prep the grill for paint? Check out Automotive touch up for paint if you aren’t decided yet. They have perfect matches for our paint codes as well as DIY kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinking of colour matching my bumpers and grill

I want to paint my chrome bumpers and grill to match the grey of my truck. It’s pretty cold this time of year in Canada. Can I drive the truck a few hours after I paint it? Or will it need a significant amount of time to cure.... I’ll be using spray cans. Please advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already bought the Ford colour match grey paint and clear coat.. what colour primer should I get to help match better.. my truck is grey.... should I sand down the grill or can I get away with just the primer?

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
I’d want to do this too. Not sure how i would match tuxedo black.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I already bought the Ford colour match grey paint and clear coat.. what colour primer should I get to help match better.. my truck is grey.... should I sand down the grill or can I get away with just the primer?
If you want it to last, I would sand the grill down until it’s dull and then throw on a couple of coats adhesion promoter before the primer. Not doing these steps is asking for chips in the paint.

·
Administrator
770 Posts
No. Wait til summer. It will orange peel or just fall off. It needs for sure 24 hours to cure. How are you planning on preparing the chrome? Paint does not stick to chrome without proper prep. This involves sanding and or chemical application before hand which also takes a lot of time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No. Wait til summer. It will orange peel or just fall off. It needs for sure 24 hours to cure. How are you planning on preparing the chrome? Paint does not stick to chrome without proper prep. This involves sanding and or chemical application before hand which also takes a lot of time.
I’m going to spray the chrome with whatever colour primer you suggest and then paint and clear coat last.
Do you recommend sanding the grill? It has a lot of little mesh parts.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I don't count anymore, but I started the same project on the 350 today. . .

too much chrome 1.jpg

still much to do before paint.jpg

temp until paint 1.jpg

temp until paint 2.jpg

·
Super Modistrator
2,128 Posts
Thinking I’d probably skip trying to paint the chrome myself. Short of stripping the chrome, I don’t think I’d trust any rattle can products to last long term over chrome. No doubt it could be stripped, professionally prepped and painted to your liking, whether the end justifies the means is up to you. This all said, there are members that could do this

·
Administrator
770 Posts
Primer is not good enough over chrome. It needs to be thoroughly sanded (or stripped) then sprayed with an adhesion promoter then primed, then many coats of good paint, then clear coated. I would not attempt doing this with rattle cans (have in the past). I have successfully used spray on Bedliner to paint a chrome bumper and grille though (after proper prep). If you don't mind redoing the paint in a year then giver with the color match cans.

On my gmc canyon I was able to strip the chrome off the plastic grille by using easy off (oven cleaner). It was very messy and stinky but did work.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
The old FX4 grille.

Upper Gold Camp Road.jpg

I always liked the look of the two tone.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yeah I saw that and was gonna mention blah blah moderators merge threads but that horse has been beaten to death
I don’t blame you for not wanting to waste your breath. It’s just annoying to see him ask the same questions and post the same responses to our replies which basically said the same thing: sand the grill and use an adhesion promoter before the primer if you want it to hold up decently to rock chips.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Here’s some more advice OP: use Meguiar’s 105 and 205 compound to give the clear coat a factory looking shine after you paint the grill and let it cure. The last thing you want is your new painted bumpers and grill looking dull next to that factory paint.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you want it to last, I would sand the grill
down until it’s dull and then throw on a couple of coats adhesion promoter before the primer. Not doing these steps is asking for chips in the paint.

I’ve never heard of anyone using adhesion promoter... is that like a primer for the primer? I really don’t want it to chip and flake off. Is there another type that I can put on before the adhesion promoter for better longevity? Lol

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I’ve never heard of anyone using adhesion promoter... is that like a primer for the primer? I really don’t want it to chip and flake off. Is there another type that I can put on before the adhesion promoter for better longevity? Lol
Bulldog is a name brand adhesion promoter, works great on plastics.
A few hour turn around is not a reasonable expectation for a proper paint job on anything automotive. It will certainly show in the end result if you try to rush it.
Make sure the primer/paint/clear are all the same brand so they adhere to each other. Follow the instructions on the can or contact the manf directly.
A cold garage is a terrible place to paint. Heat it up, remove the heaters, paint, after it's settled, bring the heaters back in. Better option, wait for decent weather!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts