F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if any of y’all have seen these bad boys. Makes me want to pop my compressor covers off and paint them.
Automotive lighting Orange Automotive design Bicycle part Personal protective equipment

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel Tire Orange

Product Camera accessory Camera lens Reflex camera Digital camera

Automotive lighting Orange Automotive design Gas Rim

Camera lens Bicycle part Digital camera Reflex camera Material property

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never known of a paint or coating that would stand up to the exhaust side temps of a turbo. Be interested to know how it holds up.
Yeah true. I would be curious too. 11 blade compressor though? Golly. CRP said 6 blade is the best for what they’ve tested.

Reactions: DunePig

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there’s a lot of options for the 3.5. Think I seen a 12 blade one a while ago.
I think More blades have more transient response and less top end flow.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Usually more than 7 blades will lower the amount of boost you can top out at but will spool much faster. They also can surge the easiest. I thought more blades meant less air. At least that’s what precision turbo taught me.
Yes, that’s exactly right I believe. More blades means less air, but, more transient response. I mean, CRPs Powermax upgrades are 5 blade. There’s a reason they used a 5 blade instead of a 11 blade. 5 blade is going to have a ridiculous top end flow. They’re race only turbos pretty much. Also, less blades means they are louder. More blades are quieter with spooling sound.

• Helpful
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe the blades on 11 blade(Which is what the Garrett GTX turbos have) get in the way of each other. The blades are so tight that the air can't backfill before the next blade passes once the turbo is flowing a lot of air.

But garrets new G-series turbos run 9 blade on the small end and what looks like 13 blade at the top end and they flow a good amount of air for their size. 50 lbs/min out of a 48 mm/60mm compressor.

It depends on the size of the compressor. If you have a huge diameter then the blades will be spaced farther apart and the turbo will spin at a much lower RPM.
Exactly. CRP said 6+6 blade was the best. On my stage 4s, there’s a lot of room between each blade, allowing it to really cut that air and grab it.
Like I said with CRPs Weekend Warrior and Garrett Powermax upgrades they are 5+5 blade, 52mm inducer, which is just insane. That must flow a ridiculous amount of air up top. If I had a 3.5L I think I would buy the Weekend Warriors just cuz.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts