F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a high mileage 2012 and looking to do a transmission fluid change. I see the full capacity is 12 qts and the pan hold 7.5 qts. All the how-to articles show just draining the pan. Any easy ways to get the rest out? I would rather not contaminate my new oil with 4 qts of old oil? My old F-250 there was a way where you could unhook the tranny cooler line and start the vehicle with a clear hose on it and drain the rest of the fluid and refill so you could get a complete fluid change. Worked perfectly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Problem with your f150, as far as flushing the system thru cooler return line, is that your f150 trans has a thermostat above valve body for the cooling system. It is in a bypass state more than a open state.
So just removeing the return line, and doing that deal wont really do what you think.
You can remove the thermostat, with a certain part, and then yes can flush like you notmally would.
And have fun filling with oil. Or checking. It had a 2” dipstick. You can also buy a kit that uses a lokar dipstick so its an easy deal.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Rather than open the return line, open the supply line going to the transmission cooler. There is youtube video of an Amsoil dealer doing this on an F150. I don't know if this gets everything in the torque converter or not. When I did mine, I just sucked out the old fluid and did a pan drop. After getting it hot and a few miles on it, I sucked the fluid out and replaced with fresh oil a second time. With a suction device you won't need to drop the pan, but you should drop it at least once to replace the filter.

I'm afraid the only way you're going to get a complete fluid change is to hook it up to a machine. If getting all of the fluid matters to you, just pay someone to do that.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Haven't tackled it on the f150 yet, but on my Saab you pan drain, refill, and drive 50 miles. Then repeat 2 more times. This is how they recommend in the service manual. No easier way to do it. Makes a huge difference and the fluid is clear AF after the last change. I will probably do the same on truck.

·
Administrator
10,118 Posts
Rather than open the return line, open the supply line going to the transmission cooler. There is youtube video of an Amsoil dealer doing this on an F150. I don't know if this gets everything in the torque converter or not. When I did mine, I just sucked out the old fluid and did a pan drop. After getting it hot and a few miles on it, I sucked the fluid out and replaced with fresh oil a second time. With a suction device you won't need to drop the pan, but you should drop it at least once to replace the filter.

I'm afraid the only way you're going to get a complete fluid change is to hook it up to a machine. If getting all of the fluid matters to you, just pay someone to do that.
I was going to do it myself, but I called the dealer to check first. For $250 they dropped the pan, changed the filter, and removed/refilled all fluid. I didn't think $250 was bad at all for parts/fluid/labor. It took them two hours start to finish.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yeah that's reasonable. My local dealer wanted $375 to do it. I said no way. For ~$100 I bought a case of fluid, the pan gasket, the filter and did it myself for free.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Problem with your f150, as far as flushing the system thru cooler return line, is that your f150 trans has a thermostat above valve body for the cooling system. It is in a bypass state more than a open state.
So just removeing the return line, and doing that deal wont really do what you think.
You can remove the thermostat, with a certain part, and then yes can flush like you notmally would.
And have fun filling with oil. Or checking. It had a 2” dipstick. You can also buy a kit that uses a lokar dipstick so its an easy deal.
What is the part number of the item you mentioned to remove the trans thermostat?

·
Registered
322 Posts

What suction device did you use? Looking for a recommendation on this tool for when I swap fluid on my trans. I would really like to not make a mess in my driveway.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016YW6XL2?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

You'll need an air compressor. The end of the hose comes off, which leaves you about 3 feet of rubber tubing that you can twist and shove down the fill hole. After about 4-5 fill and dumps, when the pan was removed there was only about a quart or so remaining in the lowest reaches. Worked really well and allows you to change some of the oil even if you don't want to drop the pan.Like I said, I pulled and swapped more oil the next day after running the tranny hard. Oil was still a little dark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts