F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Ecoboost SC 4x4 with a 3.73 rear end. I have noticed lately that my mileage is crappy. I'm talking barely getting 15mpg on the highway. My tires are BFGoodrich 10 ply all terains and slightly taller than stock, but I was still getting around 18-20 mpg on the high way with them on. I've also installed a K&N Air filter (just cleaned it about a week ago), and recently installed a 4" heartthrob exhaust after watching an episode of truck tv (or something like that) showing quick and easy steps to get the most out of your ecoboost. I thought the exhaust would help my fuel mileage, not hurt it, but after installing it I've only noticed about a 4mpg drop in my truck. Does anybody have any idea what is going on? Thanks. BTW, I also use AMSoil full synthetic motor oil.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I agree with Slow on the Tune/programmer. If your ECU has not been upgraded to match the new add-ons its not going to operate correctly or know what to do with all the extra power (Fuel/air ration, etc) thus crappy fuel milage. I had same thing happen on my 08 F-150 5.4L V8. I put a Banks power pack on (Headers, Exhuast, CAI and tuner/programmer). I installed everything but had to wait for the tuner/programmer to come with the correct tunes on it. When driving around without the tuner installed the truck shifted too early, crappy MPGs (-4 to 5 MPGs). Once I installed the tune the truck turned into a beast and mpgs went up past what I was normally getting before the upgrades.
Just make sure when you talk to a tuning company you let them know what you have modified on your truck, if they don't ask.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for getting back so soon guys. Yes, I have considered a tuner, I've been looking at the Edge CTS Evolution with a pyrometer. I've been wanting to get one for a while now and would love to get one, but I'm also saving up for a wedding this December. I don't know if I'd be money ahead going ahead and getting the programmer now, or waiting until after the wedding. Is there another option? I'm kind of green when it comes to all this stuff.

·
Registered
89 Posts
it should read boost as the obd port will send all info from the ecu to the display, including boost which is an ecu input. did you buy it yet? If not, I can get you a good deal on an sct programmer with custom tune files comparable to the files I have in my truck. contact me if you are interested [email protected]g.com

·
Registered
860 Posts
What size tires are you running? I'm running the BFG 275/70 on stock wheels, same gears and I get about 18-19 on the highway cruising about 65-70.

I have a 2011 Ecoboost SC 4x4 with a 3.73 rear end. I have noticed lately that my mileage is crappy. I'm talking barely getting 15mpg on the highway. My tires are BFGoodrich 10 ply all terains and slightly taller than stock, but I was still getting around 18-20 mpg on the high way with them on. I've also installed a K&N Air filter (just cleaned it about a week ago), and recently installed a 4" heartthrob exhaust after watching an episode of truck tv (or something like that) showing quick and easy steps to get the most out of your ecoboost. I thought the exhaust would help my fuel mileage, not hurt it, but after installing it I've only noticed about a 4mpg drop in my truck. Does anybody have any idea what is going on? Thanks. BTW, I also use AMSoil full synthetic motor oil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What size tires are you running? I'm running the BFG 275/70 on stock wheels, same gears and I get about 18-19 on the highway cruising about 65-70.
I'm running the same, but like I said, it didn't start happening to me until I put the new exhaust on. I'm going to see if a tuner will fix it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Keep us posted Viking and congrats in advance on the wedding! Oh I would recommend buying tuner sooner rather than wait. Only cost you more as you add on the miles (4mpg lost = less wedding money the longer you drive the truck without the fix gas isn't getting any cheaper) lol good luck n cheers!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keep us posted Viking and congrats in advance on the wedding! Oh I would recommend buying tuner sooner rather than wait. Only cost you more as you add on the miles (4mpg lost = less wedding money the longer you drive the truck without the fix gas isn't getting any cheaper) lol good luck n cheers!!!
That's what I was thinking too, better sooner than later. And thank you for the wishes, I'll keep you guys posted as I make more mods to my truck (still working on a name for him). And how do you add an avatar to your profile? I'd love to upload a pic of my truck but I can't find where you do it.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
To add an avatar go to the small link line just under What's New, you'll see Forum Actions. Click the little arrow to the right and choose Edit Profile. In that window there will be a column of links to the left, choose Edit Avatar. From there its pretty intuitive! You can do it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I'm sure most of you have seen my frantic post about my programmer locking me out of my truck essentially making it a 6,000lb paper weight, but Edge's customer service was able to flash a stock program to my device so I could get it restarted. Once I updated to the latest firmware for the tuner I was able to flash a tune (I chose the fuel economy mode) and boy, what a difference it made! I've still got to play with it a little bit, I was able to update the tire size and gear ratio on the tuner (don't know if anything else needs to be messed with to get accurate fuel economy readings or not) but I went from barely getting 15mpg at 75mph (according to the info center of the truck) to 20mpg at 75mph! That's awesome! I don't know if the tuner is 100% accurate as it says at 75mph I was getting anywhere from 27-31mpg, if that's true then it's well worth the investment. Is there anything else I need to do to this thing to get it reading better or do you think it's accurate? Thanks guys, you've all been a big help.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Keep us posted on the new gas mileage. Does the edge tuner void your warranty?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep us posted on the new gas mileage. Does the edge tuner void your warranty?
I'm sure it will if they see it's been tampered with, but you can flash your stock files back on before taking it to the dealership and remove the programmer so they don't see it. Also, mine is out of warranty anyway, so I figured what the heck. And I'll keep y'all posted on any changes to gas mileage. So far so good though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't done a manual calculation just yet, but according to my truck's information center I averaged 18mpg combined with this last tank. According to the programmer I got a combined 21. I'll have to do a manual calculation and see what it is for this tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was at a trade show a few weeks ago and I was talking to my exhaust vendor, that also makes the high flow exhaust kits for the Power Stroke and Dodge Cummins. About making one for the EcoBoost.

They told me without a tuner that it would NOT be a good idea for the EcoBoost. Because of how the gas engine is different than the diesel. It would harm the MPG. And compound that with a cold air intake. You might be OK with one but both would make the computer read a lean cond. and the ECM would send more gas causing the problem your talking about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
markf
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing