F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I know another F**king spark plug thread, I am sorry. I have been reading all over and looking at videos.

My truck is not tuned (yet) with like 92580 miles on the ODO.

I just wanted to confirm:

-Motocraft plugs either SP-534 or SP-580 gapped to .030 (or .028 if tuned N/a for me)
-replace the boots each change
-no need for dielectric grease
-no need for anti-seize
-torque to around 11 ft/lb

Is this all correct? Thank you all!

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
yes di electric, do not torque, finger tight it with the stocket, then hold the held of the wrench so less toqrue placed, turned until snug, then go a quarter of turn

·
Administrator
9,686 Posts
11 ft/lbs IS the proper torque spec (looked it up a little while back when I did mine) but woos method should do fine.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes di electric, do not torque, finger tight it with the stocket, then hold the held of the wrench so less toqrue placed, turned until snug, then go a quarter of turn
Ok, so yes to dielectric grease, no to additional anti seize?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I personally am not a user of anti-seize on spark plugs. That said, I saw it recommended time and again on the Triton engines with their plug problems. I would guess that a judicial amount and torqued to spec would be just fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used anti seize about 20,000 miles ago and have towed fairly heavy and fairly often and haven't had an issue yet. Being the engine has an aluminum head and the spark plug is steel threads I would recommend it. I did not use a torque wrench I just went spark plug tight like I've done on many engines throughout my life.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I used dielectric grease and anti-seize on mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have 222.000 mikes on 2011 ecboost and used antisieze the first plug change with dielectric grease. That was 4 years ago and many plug changes. I started gapping the plus at.026 and found they last considerably longer with a tune. I was changing plugs every 10,000 miles and have had the same plugs in for over a year with no problem. I am running a Hypertech programmer on 87 octane and get 20+ mpg with mixed driving. On the 93 octane tune I was getting around 18.5. It may not be the highest out put , but will not destroy your engine and still set you back in the seat. I drove over 40,000 miles a year and have had no problems so far......

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
you guys really change the boots each spark plug swap? I've done two and haven't changed the boots yet, why change em? mine look fine? I'm not against it, just asking
There is absolutely no reason to change the boots during a spark plug change unless they are damaged or you are receiving CEL's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts