F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I will admit that I have a somewhat wild imagination and look at various facets of life in a different light than many others. But, for some reason this morning I realized that after all of those years of hating, and yes I know that hate is a very bad and strong work. After all of those many years of not caring for those decals where the little boy is standing next to a Ford vehicle or logo and taking a ...well you know....or relieving himself upon said item, it has all come full circle and would be a correct decal to place on my new F350 FX4 Diesel.

See for those of you who may not know the new Diesel Engines use a fluid called DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) that is injected into the emissions system to keep the diesel running with in EPA standards. Well, the DEF fluid is a basic mix of Urea and distilled water. Urea is also a byproduct produced by the human body and is found in urine.

Who would have ever thought this would been a required fluid required by the government to add to our vehicles.

Bring on the sticker and I'll apply it right next to my fuel door which would seem to be where it now belongs.

You EcoBoost Guys and Gals, be proud of your trucks and keep them clean and mean.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wow! Lol. I did not know that. How on earth did they ever figure that out, lol?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
DPF delete!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
We have those on our newest ambulances...and it's a PITA...we had a number of issues initially where the particulate filters would say they were full and then it'd have to regen(the info screen would say drive to clean filter)...so we'd either have to drive on the highway for a while to "clean it" or just let it do it's thing. One of the times the filter said like 95% full so we drove to clean it...after about 30 minutes at 60mph on the highway it went down to 85% and then back up to 95%. Have to love the EPA restrictions and requirements! Supposedly it dumps fuel into it to burn off the carbon, so you just waste more fuel to be more environmentally friendly.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
They're absolutely useless...

·
Registered
873 Posts
I found it ironic that the EPA came out a few months back and said ambulances and firetrucks and any other vehicle with these setups will be allowed to remove them Legally. Something about them breaking down and a few people dying on the way to the hospital made them chnge their mind. I couldn't understand why they felt it was better for me to break down than an ambulance? I understand you don't want an ambulance stuck on the side of the road, but why should I have to be stuck there? The consumer always will have the time to handle the breakdown and the cost, sounds kind of like a certain healthcare law that certain originators of are exempt from...

I'm interested to see the new Mazda sky diesel. Their system doesn't have that urea crap. They claim it is cleaner and has a regular exhaust. I'm hoping this would translate somehow to the big 3s truck market or say the cummins Titan system. I guess we'll wait and see.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As a kind of interesting side note. I was made aware that at many Loves and Pilot Truck stops you can now fill your DEF tank with Urea at the diesel pumps via another nozzle much cheaper than you can buy the Urea at a dealership.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well since I am a former 2008 F250 Super Duty Diesel owner I will jump in here.. I loved that truck except for a couple of things..
#1 REGEN... Drive to clean exhaust filter.. So I drive around wasting high dollar fuel to clean that dang exhaust filter.
#2 High Maintenance... 15 quart oild change & 2 fuel filters. Not to metntion the $20.00 oil filter & the $50.00 air filter.
#3 Making Oil... If you don't change the oil every 5000 miles you are gonna get too much Diesel fuel in the oil and end up with an overfull crankcase.. Did this for 5 years and decided to go back and get me a F150 again.. That's how i found the ecoboost F150.. Good luck with your F350.. The addition of the DEF is a little less painfull than mine was but still a pain..

·
Registered
868 Posts
As a kind of interesting side note. I was made aware that at many Loves and Pilot Truck stops you can now fill your DEF tank with Urea at the diesel pumps via another nozzle much cheaper than you can buy the Urea at a dealership.
you can buy it at local autoparts stores even cheaper again ! (our local Napa sell it)
so here i have a test for you since your now a diesel guy
How do you know when your Exhaust fluid additive resorvoir is getting low but not yet low enough to turn on a warning light ?
next is do you start carrying a bottle of this in your truck and topping the resorvoir off at each fill up or do you wait until it is running low and fill it only when it needs to be filled ?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wow, thanks for the new piece of info on the diesel. As I have never owned one, it is a cool little fact to know now.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Oh here we go..... Even on the eco forum we are going to talk about DPF delete. I suggest not doing the DPF (But when it comes down to it, I ran it on my 6.4L with H&S tuning and that truck was stupid fast).

not a diesel guy here so you gotta tell me what is DPF !

·
Vendor
1,120 Posts
Stolen from Wiki: A diesel particulate filter (or DPF) is a device designed to remove diesel particulate matter or soot from the exhaust gas of a diesel engine.

Just a side note, Stock 6.4L 2008 came with 600 Ft Lbs, with S&B filter, DPF Delete Exhaust and H&S Tuner it makes 1200+. Lately the government has shut down the sale of these. We stopped selling them years ago.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Oh here we go..... Even on the eco forum we are going to talk about DPF delete. I suggest not doing the DPF (But when it comes down to it, I ran it on my 6.4L with H&S tuning and that truck was stupid fast).
My buddy just recently upgraded to a 6.7 kr from the 6.4l kr that he had the DPF delete and a Spartan 350hp tune. The truck was insane, lifted on 37's he would burn damn near anybody that tried to race him. But, in the end we got drunk one night and grenaded the engine... With diesels moderation is key, unless your willing to "build" the whole engine to support the tunes.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, same ole story of "Ya gotta pay to Play".

Speaking of which, I know Stage3 offers a tuner with a warranty coverage pkg for EcoBoost, how about a tuner with Warranty Coverage on the 6.7 diesel?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Yep, same ole story of "Ya gotta pay to Play".

Yeah, that holds true with any project though.

How're you liking the power?

I raced my buddies 6.7 kr leveled on 35's and he gave me a real good run for my money. For a stock diesel that thing is fast.

·
Registered
74 Posts
X2. Stupid fast is right. Even on 37s I was roasting tires and rolling coal. Not sure if I would mess with the Scorpion tho. Something about spending $60k would make me wanna keep my warranty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts