F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Your call, dude. It does no harm to do it. I have a dozen friends with the truck: some have it, some don't.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I did the "pee hole" right after I purchased the vehicle. I haven't had any issues and it's been through every conceivable rain condition you can imagine. I look at it as purely a preventative measure. Just take your time and put some grease on your bit. Some guys I believe use a pin vise drill I used a power drill, just take your time and don't rush it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm on the fence for one reason only: warranty. I've got a spare passenger side turbo tube and airbox lid in case I ever have a warranty issue I can remove my catch can, install the non-drilled parts, and they'll never know. I'm worried a hole in the CAC will be seen as tampering...and I can't afford to have a spare CAC on hand haha. I think I'll keep rocking just the can for now since I've never had the shudder

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
My whole rattle tsb was done with duct tape over the hole in air box and a 1/4 not plug in the hole in the turbo tube. And with a drilled cac.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I thought the Wagner and FullRace CACs solved the issue altogether?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have a 2014. I experienced the shudder and wrench pop up on my dash once. Installed Catch Can and drilled weep hole. Haven't had a shudder since. I would highly recommended the weep hole to everyone. As for warranty, I highly doubt that they would even notice a 1/16th" hole on your CAC.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I thought the Wagner and FullRace CACs solved the issue altogether?
I can't speak to the Wagner but I can confirm that my lines are dry with my Full Race setup.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can't speak to the Wagner but I can confirm that my lines are dry with my Full Race setup.
That's what I wanted to hear. Now to save up for one...

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
That's what I wanted to hear. Now to save up for one...
Lots of guys run the Wagner on here so I'm sure you'll get an answer about it as well. I do know the wagner is a beast! Everyone seems to really like it and it's pretty well priced.

·
Registered
599 Posts
So theoretically speaking... I live in soCal so temps can be high, if I were to upgrade the intercooler my turbos would be running cooler (which ours REALLY really like) and I should get another 2 or 3 mpgs with the turbos being happier and at a stable cool temp? Am I speaking nonsense or does this have some logic and truth to it

Steve
2014 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab EB

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Ojz.....we here by change your name to the mighty "Oz". Seriously, nice work!
Back in the day my cousin and I pulled and rebuilt a 390ci/4 Barrell out of my 1975 F250 Camper Special....thought I was a "Boss" than, but dude...you have fuel injection, ECM/PCM, EPA crap, etc...
Big ups to you!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Thanks man, that helps the sting from hauling it 150 miles home, towing to the dealer, waiting a week, writing letters, having a $1000 price increase effective the day I got my quote, and wasting 5 days. I just hope it helps spread the knowledge.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
And remember that even though the software and sensors have evolved, it's still just another engine. Someone put it in and it can be done again. Have to be gentle, don't yank on things, and be patient with connectors, clamps, dowel pins, etc. Keeping a cool head is half the battle IMO.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I just had the dealer update the software to the most recent release. Fortunately this dealer agreed to do it for free after some sweet-talking.
Two small holes in the intercooler, humid/rainy weather today, no shudder so far, better transmission shifts. 100 trouble free miles.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Drilled my IC just a few minutes ago. Nothing but oil came out. Which is normal in turbo engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ecoboost Problem

I'm new to forums and all this so sorry if I post out of a standard protocol. However, here's my story: I have a 2014 F150 EB XLT. I was towing (within wt limits) on the hwy in cruise around 1.5-2k RPM. I heard a pop and the truck died. Looks like a blew a head gasket, blew a hole in the engine block and threw a rod or something as the piston (at least 1 piston) smashed the spark plug. I've done routine mx and kept up on all fluids as well. Ford ESP just informed me this is NOT covered under warranty and it is because I have aftermarket parts.

1. I know the law and they have to prove that my parts did this (I have a Full Race intercooler, CAI and a mega catch can).
2. I'm trying to gather information as I have seen several instances where something like my and your case has happened as these ecoboost gen1 motors are getting in the 70k mile range.
3. Please keep us informed as to what Ford says. And I will do the same. But as I see it, we have similar issues and 2 different configurations unless you have the EXACT same mods done which I doubt.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts
About this Discussion
110 Replies
36 Participants
Mikedick77
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing