F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys sorry for what might be a long winded question.

I have been dead set on getting a F250 Tremor since they came out, but I keep watching prices, and I'm just not willing to pay that much for a truck. Then the F150 Tremor came out and caught my eye. Different truck but same story. I had pretty much given up any idea of a new truck in the foreseeable future. This has been going on for the past 1-2 years. Its killing me watching my 12' that I really do like, start to rust. I have already done one cab corner, and both rockers are going to need some love soon. I hate rust, and besides the Ford planned obsolescence by cab corner/rocker panel rust, this thing is spotless inside and out. Truck underside looks like a 10k mile truck.

So I started looking hard at the 2018-2019 F150's, more than I really ever have. And I ended up finding a 2019 FX4 twin to my 2012, 32k miles $46k asking price. So what's the skinny on the second gens? Anything that I need to watch for? Any common issues? I know stuff like this is all over, but I never payed attention, I have always stayed in my Gen1 bubble.

I know all about the benefits/upgrades. Dual injection, dual timing chains, 10 spd, ALUMINUM!!!!! Are they still having timing chain issues, oil consumption, anything else that is a common problem?

Thanks again! Pic of my current rig
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

· Moderstrator
3,079 Posts
I had a 2013 FX2 Ecoboost for about 18 months, then bought my 2018 Lariat EB a year ago. It had almost 37K miles, and within a few months I had the Cam Phasers replaced, a stuck shut rear door actuator replaced, and a stuck open panoramic sunroof track system replaced. I did have to "contribute" around $850 to the sunroof repair; other items were covered by Ford TSB's. Other than that - I drive in Sport mode to avoid lower speed shudder, run it hard cause it wants to be run hard, turned off the AutoStop functions with a behind the dash switch (I think this little feature contributes to the cam phasers - just my conspiracy theory) and did a couple of suspension mods with Billsteins and Hellwigs. And some other cosmetic and gadget mods. I'm not in the engine modification camp - but I do live vicariously through those here on the forum who are exceptionally adept at getting more and more HP out of their trucks.

· Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,678 Posts
Phasers. Crazy how much prices are up. I paid 39 for my 19 fx4 with 15k miles a year and a half ago.
It is nuts, in 2019 I bought my 2019 brand new for $46k that had MSRP of just over $56k

I came from a first generation 3.5 ecobost (2013) and personally there’s no comparison, I absolutely love this 2019 second gen 3.5.

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys think prices will come down any? Seems like they have some.

· Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
15,277 Posts
You guys think prices will come down any? Seems like they have some.
Perhaps.
But it's more likely that if you continue to turn over every stone, you'll come across a good deal relative the average currently.

I'm driving a brand new 2022 at ~7k below MSRP.
An average deal 3 years ago.
A tough to find deal these days.

There's a couple of dealers selling new trucks at 3% below invoice. To me that's tough to beat when considering the price of used vehicles and their interest rates now.

I'd order a lesser trim at that discount and drive it until the insanity decreases. Then "move up" to an older but higher trim used vehicle in the future?

Just one value equation strategy that comes to mind.

· Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
1,211 Posts
Issues- Phasers, 10 speed isn’t the smoothest sometimes, Factory rear shocks are terrible, Rear pinion seal went out at 62k miles,

I love the 10 speed 90% of the time. I shut off auto start/stop because it’s terrible. Dual injection works flawlessly. No issues. I love the truck, absolutely love driving it.

I like the older Gen 13 trucks. I drove a Gen 1 FX4 Ecoboost and was impressed. Mrs has a 2013 FX4 5.0. I love that truck. There’s more front seat room but I still like my truck more.

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I have loved my 6 spd, but it has its issues as well, especially on 5-4 and 3-2 unloaded downshifts. So much so i had them programed out.

As much as it kills me, i think im going to hold off for the time being. Prices are just still to ridiculous.

· Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the input. I have loved my 6 spd, but it has its issues as well, especially on 5-4 and 3-2 unloaded downshifts. So much so i had them programed out.

As much as it kills me, i think im going to hold off for the time being. Prices are just still to ridiculous.
Not to mention interest rates are going up like crazy too. I want to add a Charger to my stable before it’s too late but I was trying to hold off until early next year hoping to find a nice low mileage used example but interest rates are really cramping my style.

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I do like it. and if it wasnt for potential rust, I would probably keep it. But its going start looking rough in another 1-2 years.

Can the 17+ run E85 with tunes? Again sorry, im sure its around if i search for it. But since its duel injected, i woudl think it would have enough pump to handle e85

· Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
1,211 Posts
Thanks. I do like it. and if it wasnt for potential rust, I would probably keep it. But its going start looking rough in another 1-2 years.

Can the 17+ run E85 with tunes? Again sorry, im sure its around if i search for it. But since its duel injected, i woudl think it would have enough pump to handle e85
I think you need to upgrade the fuel pump to make decent power. But guys there are a few guys running E50 with good success around the forum.

· Registered
10,507 Posts

No, not maxed out. I am sure with a mild tune it could be ok but then what would be the point. You either have to go to larger port injectors or an upgraded HPFP.

· Registered
2 Posts
I’ve owned 3 eco boosts. My last purchase is a 2019, 3.5 , 4x4.
super strong twin turbo motor, will beat any others 0 to 60, good 4 wheel drive package, with good tires climbs with the best. On the down side, voluntary cam phaser recall, they will all need it, they prorate the price on mileage even know they admit its an issue. It should be a factory recall.
standard 4x4 with no skid plate’s especially at the center point were the tranny oil pan sits ( plastic ) with a fabric cover, offers zero protection if you high side and sits lower then the frame rails.
maybe switch the 5.0 , only has had water pump issues and plate up.

· Registered
2 Posts
I’ve owned 3 eco boosts. My last purchase is a 2019, 3.5 , 4x4.
super strong twin turbo motor, will beat any others 0 to 60, good 4 wheel drive package, with good tires climbs with the best. On the down side, voluntary cam phaser recall, they will all need it, they prorate the price on mileage even know they admit its an issue. It should be a factory recall.
standard 4x4 with no skid plate’s especially at the center point were the tranny oil pan sits ( plastic ) with a fabric cover, offers zero protection if you high side and sits lower then the frame rails.
maybe switch the 5.0 , only has had water pump issues and plate up.
Oh lets not forget the secondary fan issue running constantly that no one can figure out.

· Registered
3,508 Posts
Oh lets not forget the secondary fan issue running constantly that no one can figure out.
My fans scream in the summer and work on occassions in the winter lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts