F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I've been considering buying a 2011 FX4 crew cab with the 3.5. It is a single owner but pretty high mileage, I imagine the guy just got tired of owning the same vehicle. It has 237,000 miles on it and looks to be in great shape cosmetically.

I dont tow very often and when I do it's really nothing more than 6000lbs helping friends move or pull a uhaul. Just wanting the truck for all weather reasons to keep my SS Sedan out of the snow. I have been daily driving it for almost 4 years but northern VA winters are harsher than South Csrolina.

My question is what kinds of things should I look for with a high mileage vehicle, what should I look out for? What are the absolute need to have mods I should strive to get done.

The asking price is $12.5k and it has 237k on the odometer, single owner, good looking, gray with black interior, FX4, max tow, and 6' 6" bed.

Sounds like I need a 1/16 drill bit to get things started.

I thought of offering $10k and seeing if they bite to leave some cash for leveling kit, catch can and maybe tires if they are needed.

I really want a 17 platinum but I cant sell my SS. I just love it too much, too many memories in it.

·
Modinstrator
3,109 Posts
...My question is what kinds of things should I look for with a high mileage vehicle, what should I look out for? What are the absolute need to have mods I should strive to get done...
Unless you knew the history of this vehicle and you knew that things like the timing set, valves cleaned, lead frame etc. had been done to it, just say NO. Planning on any of the popular mods engine and drive train wise on a truck like this is potentially just asking for it. To put this in the simplest terms I know how, it’s lived a good first life.

An unknown with that kind of mileage on a 3.5 Gen1 could literally be up for anything power train wise and it can get expensive quickly. I personally could not make myself do it. I’ll probably catch heck for saying it but that kind of mileage is higher than about 90% of the high mile trucks on the forum. Save your pennies and get the 2017 when you can. Then again you may be that guy that gets lucky and drives it for another 100,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
9,053 Posts
Edit: GearHead_1 posted while I was typing. So any redundancy wasn't planned, but wouldn't be surprising

At 237,000 miles, most of us would consider that as a good success story for the first year Gen1. Or put another way, I don't think we would be surprised or too too disappointed if suddenly a few common issues were to finally pop up.

The biggest problem is that many of those end-of-service components can be quite co$tly. Especially the labor because it's jam packed with a considerably complex motor.

But then, maybe the current owner has already addressed some of them?

You have to mentally prepare for worse case scenario and then weigh the risk. Would you be willing to take those risks? Example: how much is a motor swap, or a rebuilt transmission, or new turbos, timing chain repair...... any one of these is possible to confront you during the second owner experience.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,524 Posts
Hello. I've been considering buying a 2011 FX4 crew cab with the 3.5. It is a single owner but pretty high mileage, I imagine the guy just got tired of owning the same vehicle. It has 237,000 miles on it and looks to be in great shape cosmetically.

I dont tow very often and when I do it's really nothing more than 6000lbs helping friends move or pull a uhaul. Just wanting the truck for all weather reasons to keep my SS Sedan out of the snow. I have been daily driving it for almost 4 years but northern VA winters are harsher than South Csrolina.

My question is what kinds of things should I look for with a high mileage vehicle, what should I look out for? What are the absolute need to have mods I should strive to get done.

The asking price is $12.5k and it has 237k on the odometer, single owner, good looking, gray with black interior, FX4, max tow, and 6' 6" bed.

Sounds like I need a 1/16 drill bit to get things started.

I thought of offering $10k and seeing if they bite to leave some cash for leveling kit, catch can and maybe tires if they are needed.

I really want a 17 platinum but I cant sell my SS. I just love it too much, too many memories in it.
I'm just gonna say NO do not buy it. Too much mileage on that gen 1.

·
Registered
895 Posts
1. Why would you want to "fix" an issue that's made it this many miles? (Please don't say facebook).
2. What the seller is askingi issome drunk people talk.
3. How well can you work on cars and how familiar are you with these trucks?
4. Ya, there are certain things that can get very expensive very fast.

Consensus: no, just a straight no.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas.

I've been around vehicles since a child. Worked on a fair of them as well. That being said I work a lot and dint have as much free time for wrenching anymore. If it is a hobby on the weekends then that is one thing, but wrenching for a daily is a no go situation for me.

The truck would only be a inclement weather vehicle so reliability is paramount. I've been toying with the F150 or a V8 runner (ended in 2008). My SS is lowered and even with all seasons in the snow it turns into white knuckle fights between me, the power slide, and traction control. It was cool the first time, after that I had to be a grown up and admit that it just wasnt good, especially when I may or may not have my boys in the car.

That being said, I might spring for a newer XLT (2015-ish) ecoboost if I could find one with leather. I hate that if I want leather, 4wd, and the 3.5 I need to spend $30k used with 100k miles.

Thanks for the opinion gents, I will keep an eye open for a good opportunity.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
If you like the V8 gen 11 F150's, the ecoboost engine might not be to your liking. They want to be worked. Kinda like a sled dog. Going easy and laying low ain't the thing for the TT 3.5.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Since you have another vehicle I say go for it but that’s just me. Had a supercharged G8 I sold to buy my 2014 and recently have wished I kept it as a toy and bought a cheaper truck for daily use. Yes it has a lot of miles but to me less of a issue since you have another vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
How is too many miles acceptable if it’s the 2nd vehicle and not a daily driver ? It’s still more likely to cost alot to keep running as a 2nd vehicle. What am I missing ?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Nothing to add to your post, but I really, really hope I can get a good solid 237,000+ miles out of my 13 F150...

I'm at 97,000 miles now and bought it brand new so I know it's history.. It is my daily driver so it does need to run daily..

Anyway, good luck! Mitch

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2019 3.5 XLT/SE 4X4 Magnetic SuperCrew 6.5 box 3.55 rear
87 Posts
Thanks fellas.

I've been around vehicles since a child. Worked on a fair of them as well. That being said I work a lot and dint have as much free time for wrenching anymore. If it is a hobby on the weekends then that is one thing, but wrenching for a daily is a no go situation for me.

The truck would only be a inclement weather vehicle so reliability is paramount. I've been toying with the F150 or a V8 runner (ended in 2008). My SS is lowered and even with all seasons in the snow it turns into white knuckle fights between me, the power slide, and traction control. It was cool the first time, after that I had to be a grown up and admit that it just wasnt good, especially when I may or may not have my boys in the car.

That being said, I might spring for a newer XLT (2015-ish) ecoboost if I could find one with leather. I hate that if I want leather, 4wd, and the 3.5 I need to spend $30k used with 100k miles.

Thanks for the opinion gents, I will keep an eye open for a good opportunity.
Bear with me on this one, try looking into a brand new XLT, 2020 not 2021. With the way COVID wreaked havoc last year many industries were thrown for a loop, and auto sales is no exception. Right now leftover 2020’s abound on dealer lots and they are going for a steal. You’re right about spending $30k on a truck with 100k on the clock, but right now if you do enough digging to find it I’d almost guarantee you can find the truck your looking for brand new for $10k more. Just something to chew on my friend, best of luck to you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How is too many miles acceptable if it’s the 2nd vehicle and not a daily driver ? It’s still more likely to cost alot to keep running as a 2nd vehicle. What am I missing ?
Yeah I think it depends on the individual. My last truck was a Silverado with 180k that was the extra vehicle it had a handful of issues but mattered less to me for some reason. I’m with you though if he could find a 5.0 prob be better if it had higher miles. I’m just slightly biased because I sold my 600hp toy for my ecoboost truck and recently have regretted that decision 🤣

·
Administrator
11,043 Posts
I bought my old 99 powerstroke with 200,000 miles, and sold it 10 years later with 340,000 miles . I put all of a fuel pump, alternator, and clutch in it. Best vehicle I've ever had!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 3.5 XLT/SE 4X4 Magnetic SuperCrew 6.5 box 3.55 rear
87 Posts
I have to say that’s really not a bad deal at all for a platinum with just 82K. Love the 157” wheelbase trucks, my favorite kind of f150 right there. If I saw it in person and it looked clean and healthy I’d almost have to make an offer on it. Good find.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You could do worse.
I don't have a sunroof, may want to check out what others say.
Don’t get a sunroof. Very rarely used in the real world and something else to go wrong and can get expensive quick on a truck out of warranty. I’ve had three vehicles with them and not one would I say added value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I don’t know if the sunroof is a deal breaker but I agree with be prepared for something to go wrong with that. Seems to be a fair amount of complaints with them.

·
Banned
2005 Crew Cab 5.4 V8
1 Posts
It seems to me that the mileage is too high for this car. You have fully viewed the vehicle history? Maybe you should find other options at a reasonable price and with less mileage. I would also use the odometer rollback check just in case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts