F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and I am glad to be a member. I've done some reading and an really liking the EB. I, like many of you, know that I can't get a V8 sound out of the EB and I'm ok with that. I do however want to run a CAI, tune, and charge pipe. With those mods, will I need a catback exhaust to take full advantage of these mods? If not, could I split a pipe off the pipe behind the stock muffler and make the appearance of a SIDO exhaust with exit under the bumper? I'd really like the look of a dual without the annoying V6 sound. Additionally, at what point of modification would an exhaust be necessary?

Sorry for the noob post lol but I've read various threads about exhausts, modifying, etc. and couldn't ever find the answer I am looking for.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and I am glad to be a member. I've done some reading and an really liking the EB. I, like many of you, know that I can't get a V8 sound out of the EB and I'm ok with that. I do however want to run a CAI, tune, and charge pipe. With those mods, will I need a catback exhaust to take full advantage of these mods? If not, could I split a pipe off the pipe behind the stock muffler and make the appearance of a SIDO exhaust with exit under the bumper? I'd really like the look of a dual without the annoying V6 sound. Additionally, at what point of modification would an exhaust be necessary?

Sorry for the noob post lol but I've read various threads about exhausts, modifying, etc. and couldn't ever find the answer I am looking for.
Definitely tune it...
Before the other bolt ons, consider doing down pipes and/or an intercooler.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
First of all welcome to the site. If your truck is going to be new and/or you will have a current Ford warranty you need to seriously weigh your need for modification with your need to keep your warranty. Once you make that decision and if you opt to modify your truck and possibly give up your warranty protection then a Tune will get you more power than all the other simple modifications put together. After that you work on breathing. I other words work on air intake and air exhalation in the form of a aftermarket intake and after market exhaust with down pipe included with high flow cats.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan to buy a used 4x4 SCREW. I was really hoping that a CAI, tune, charge pipe, and a few other mods could be done before I had to change the stock catback to an aftermarket one...this may make me lean towards a 5.0 for a pure sound reason...

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I plan to buy a used 4x4 SCREW. I was really hoping that a CAI, tune, charge pipe, and a few other mods could be done before I had to change the stock catback to an aftermarket one...this may make me lean towards a 5.0 for a pure sound reason...
If you want sound, 5.0
If you want performance, Ecoboost.
Everyone has different views on what a truck should sound like, our how fast is too fast, or what's acceptable fuel economy.
Only you know your criteria, but I don't think you'll be unhappy with any of the F-150's...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Personally I like the sound i get from my EB exhaust, Pure Turbo Spool :)

V8's sound mean... but I will be able to hear your heart breaking when i leave you in the dust

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could I run a CAI, charge pipe, tune, and down pipe to the stock catback and see gains or would the stock catback be too restrictive?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Could I run a CAI, charge pipe, tune, and down pipe to the stock catback and see gains or would the stock catback be too restrictive?
Welcome to the F150 EcoBoost Forum!

You will definitely see gains with this set up. Will it be optimal? Probably not, but you will get increases. I am running the scorcher module and everything else is completely stock and I have seen a huge improvement over stock.

Regards,

SPPD

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I agree with EVERYONE ABOVE!

Initially, I just cranked the stereo up. But, I have grown to like the "funky sounding truck that goes like snot". Best of all, making power out of a Turbo Engine is so easy, and you don't have to do any of the "hard stuff" like a Naturally Aspirated engine (Heads, Cams, etc).

You'll find yourself spending THOUSANDS on a Naturally Aspirated engine, to only gain a little ... but it will sure sound great. But that same money (or less) will get MUCH bigger gains on the Turbo V6.

And while I think most EB owners would say that the fuel economy is lower than they expected, I am finding that as my engine breaks in, I am starting to get better fuel economy on the open highway. It's not great, but for a truck with the aerodynamics of a brick, it's okay.

Whenever I begin to wish I had a V8 engine under the hood (for the sound), I just stomp on it and remind myself why I bought my truck.

Reactions: Sub_Elect and Kc311

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm...would it be possible to run a pipe off the stock pipe behind the muffler to the opposite side of the truck for a dual setup underneath the bumpers? If so, I'd love that because of the look of duals with no increase in sound. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ummmmm you can get a really good sound system and play a V8 sound track constantly

Or make the sound yourself ... V8 Farts :)

Smells like tomato juice in here

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Nearly 25 years ago, I was torn between the decision of buying the last year of the Buick GN with the 3.8 Turbo vs a GM F-body (when they finally installed the Vette 350 L98 in it). Both made similar power "bone stock". I let the "sound of the engine" make the decision for me.

Later, I learnt how easy it was to make power out of the Buick GN compared to the GM 350 L98. The Buick responded extremely well to simple bolt-ons while the V8 required a lot more work, a lot more money and go far less gains.

This time I tested both and ignored the sound of the engine. When I felt that "low end grunt" of the Ecoboost in a 3 Ton vehicle, I let my "backside decide" instead of my ears. And yes, these vehicles respond very well to siimple bolt-on modifications.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I agree with EVERYONE ABOVE!

Initially, I just cranked the stereo up. But, I have grown to like the "funky sounding truck that goes like snot". Best of all, making power out of a Turbo Engine is so easy, and you don't have to do any of the "hard stuff" like a Naturally Aspirated engine (Heads, Cams, etc).

You'll find yourself spending THOUSANDS on a Naturally Aspirated engine, to only gain a little ... but it will sure sound great. But that same money (or less) will get MUCH bigger gains on the Turbo V6.

And while I think most EB owners would say that the fuel economy is lower than they expected, I am finding that as my engine breaks in, I am starting to get better fuel economy on the open highway. It's not great, but for a truck with the aerodynamics of a brick, it's okay.

Whenever I begin to wish I had a V8 engine under the hood (for the sound), I just stomp on it and remind myself why I bought my truck.

EXACTLY. You hit the nail on the head right there. Nice fuel mileage for a truck and more power than almost all V8 trucks. OK, so it sounds a little weak! An aftermarket exhaust can help a little but lets all remember.........IT'S A TRUCK.......NOT A RACE CAR!;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:
Ive been reading about a lot of EB's having problems with the engines and I'm just not sure I want to risk the problems. Also, I drove an EB and 5.0 the other night and the wife and I loved the V8 rumble and low end torque so we will probably go with the V8 but I liked the feel of the EB too. I'm an EB fan for sure but I'm not sure if we will go with one right now.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So what your saying is the 5.0 is problem free, right?
Man... I guess all of us have it wrong then.
Maybe I should have read all of those things you did during my 10 months of reseach into the EcoBoost Engine in my Truck.
But im glad I didnt because I couldnt be happier with the way mine sounds or the way it pulls me down the road at 100mph everyday
I also got this thing called a Warranty, its a good thing, you should check it out :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So what your saying is the 5.0 is problem free, right?
Man... I guess all of us have it wrong then.
Maybe I should have read all of those things you did during my 10 months of reseach into the EcoBoost Engine in my Truck.
But im glad I didnt because I couldnt be happier with the way mine sounds or the way it pulls me down the road at 100mph everyday
I also got this thing called a Warranty, its a good thing, you should check it out :)
Oh man, I'm sorry for not just sending you this in a private message since I obviously meant this for you to get so defensive over so quickly. Did you miss the part when I said I'm a fan of the EB or what? Chill out man, I'm not making a choice that hurts you or picks at you. I guess you think I should have clarified by saying, "Hey, I'm here to tick off every EB owner with my own personal preferences." Would that have made you happier? 100mph? Likely, I'll never see that speed as 100mph isn't necessary for my driving. Thanks for the useless input.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Someone needs to thicken their skin.
Getting all mad when someone is messing with you.
I could care less if you dont like or like the EB, im not driving your vehicle around.

Maybe you should chill out and make a choice :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Someone needs to thicken their skin.
Getting all mad when someone is messing with you.
I could care less if you dont like or like the EB, im not driving your vehicle around.

Maybe you should chill out and make a choice :)
It might as well be a coin flip lol

·
Registered
523 Posts
Oh man, I'm sorry for not just sending you this in a private message since I obviously meant this for you to get so defensive over so quickly. Did you miss the part when I said I'm a fan of the EB or what? Chill out man, I'm not making a choice that hurts you or picks at you. I guess you think I should have clarified by saying, "Hey, I'm here to tick off every EB owner with my own personal preferences." Would that have made you happier? 100mph? Likely, I'll never see that speed as 100mph isn't necessary for my driving. Thanks for the useless input.
Such responses are unfortunately a typical response our society today. Someone that believes their solution is the only right solution. No respect, or consideration for others. How someone could have thoughts that don't align with theirs in incomprehensible to them. Instead of being able to carry on a discussion and exchanging of ideas, many today go into emotional tirades cause they lack the ability to communicate and simple respect for other individuals participating in the conversation.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over responses like that. Just file it in it's proper place. Its unfortunate you can't simply get quantifiable responses without the conjecture.

I like you have had the same thoughts bout the EB vs 5.0. Wondering if I would have fared better with the 5.0 for my personal satisfaction criteria. I actually drove both. Drove the 5.0 for nearly two days.

I'm enjoying my EB, it's been problem free. The less desirable qualities of the EB to me is has been the initial responsiveness to driver input. Most of which I believe I've been able to resolve working with a tuner, not focusing on power, mostly transmission programming and responsiveness. My second area has been fuel economy. I thought I would be seeing better mileage comparatively. Though I believe I might be making some progress on this front. I'm aware my configuration isn't going to aid economy, 4x4 OR, SC, 6.5' bed, 3.73 gears, and towing mirrors. If this configuration was on the 5.0, not sure if I would fare any better. Maybe if I had a week or so to drive a 5.0 equipped this way, but they simply don't exist on just any dealer lots within reason.

Your not alone on your decision, best wishes on whatever it is you decide.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Such responses are unfortunately a typical response our society today. Someone that believes their solution is the only right solution. No respect, or consideration for others. How someone could have thoughts that don't align with theirs in incomprehensible to them. Instead of being able to carry on a discussion and exchanging of ideas, many today go into emotional tirades cause they lack the ability to communicate and simple respect for other individuals participating in the conversation.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over responses like that. Just file it in it's proper place. Its unfortunate you can't simply get quantifiable responses without the conjecture.

I like you have had the same thoughts bout the EB vs 5.0. Wondering if I would have fared better with the 5.0 for my personal satisfaction criteria. I actually drove both. Drove the 5.0 for nearly two days.

I'm enjoying my EB, it's been problem free. The less desirable qualities of the EB to me is has been the initial responsiveness to driver input. Most of which I believe I've been able to resolve working with a tuner, not focusing on power, mostly transmission programming and responsiveness. My second area has been fuel economy. I thought I would be seeing better mileage comparatively. Though I believe I might be making some progress on this front. I'm aware my configuration isn't going to aid economy, 4x4 OR, SC, 6.5' bed, 3.73 gears, and towing mirrors. If this configuration was on the 5.0, not sure if I would fare any better. Maybe if I had a week or so to drive a 5.0 equipped this way, but they simply don't exist on just any dealer lots within reason.

Your not alone on your decision, best wishes on whatever it is you decide.
Thank you for your response. Part of me really wants to get the EB and modify it and work on it to fix problems (if they arise) but the other part of me doesn't want to fool with anything and just get the 5.0 that I personally feel more comfortable with on a day to day basis. I may have to see about renting each for a day or so and seeing how I like them over a period of time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts