F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this on here somewhere but I haven't found it yet. What oil should I use? My truck is my primary transportation and will not see a lot of heavy hauling/towing, if any at all. 75/25 split between hwy/city.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
Use what ya want. Oil is oil. Just change it regularly that's more important than the type. But ford recommends their motocraft semi synth.

A million people will give you a million different answers.

If you really care you need to take in a new oil and used oil sample after your mileage rating an have them checked against each other for dirt/metal and oxidization and additive levels.

I bet the big change is carbon contamination and that's about it. Oh and a bit of fuel in this truck due to direct injection.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
As mentioned, your truck came with semi.
Personally I prefer full synthetic and changed it over sometime after I reached 1K.

There are a lot who believe that conventional oil is good, but the lubricating properties of synthetic and the resistance to breakdown far exceed those of conventional oils.
You probably will never go wrong with conventional oil and a regular oil change, but if paying a little more gives me better lubrication which mean less wear on moving parts, I'm all in.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I like full synthetic. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy like a hug from mother. Mobil 1 is my flavor of choice.

Regards,

Ken

Reactions: OxfordFX4

·
Registered
868 Posts
these come with semi synthetic and i would not even consider going backwards and putting conventional oil into one.
factory change intervals are 5,000 miles with semi so you would be changing your conventional every 3,000 miles and still not as well protected
turbos are hard on oil and keep in mind we are running 2 of them even with these liquid cooled turbos the oil still sees alot of heat as it passes through

back in the day conventional oil was the downfall of many a turbo and yes designs have changed but its still a proven fact that the oil is the life blood

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm sure full synthetic is the popular choice. But I think any type of oil will do; it will just depend on your change intervals.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The specification of the Ford manual indicate semi or full synthetic meeting Ford Motorcraft 5w-30 Premium Synthetic, Ford Motorcraft 5w-30 Full Synthetic or specifications XO-5w30-QSP or XO-5w30-QFS or equivalent.

If anyone knows the details on the specifications please enlighten the rest of us. I've never been able to find the details of these "specifications" from any manufacturer.

Given that I wouldn't bet the farm that any oil will do, or an oil that doesn't meet the basic requirement. Least I wouldn't want to be in a situation with an engine failure and Ford questioning the oil maintenance or the oil specification used. IMHO giving the warranty provider an avenue to get out of paying a claim for using oil that doesn't meet the requirement certainly opens the door for the vehicle warranty claim to be denied. Not all situations are the same nor will have the same result. However using less than the requirement certainly induces risk to a potential warranty claim being paid by the manufacturer that wouldn't be there if the owner had simply complied with the stated requirement.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Apparantly Ford feels different about US F150s versus Canadian F150. The Owner's Manual recommends semi-synthetic for US 150s but only regular oil for Canadian F150s (wtf)?

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
it's because of the metric system Grim. & our trucks are tougher (joke?)

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
it's because of the metric system Grim. & our trucks are tougher (joke?)
Your system is base ten.
Ours is base twelve.
12>10 therefore we win. Case closed. You are the weakest link, goodbye.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,416 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'm sure full synthetic is the popular choice. But I think any type of oil will do; it will just depend on your change intervals.
I would not recommend doing this. If you have an engine problem and you are found to not be using the proper oil it will void your warranty.
Been down that road and it is a lost cause, period.
I recommend you thoroughly read your owners manual and your warranty.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I wouldnt run anything but full syn. on a turbo motor. The turbos use the same oil as the motor so you especially don't want low grade oil lubing the turbos which are more fragile then the motor. In my turbo camaro, all the lsx guys use Shell Rotella diesel oil in the engines to prevent oil break down in the turbo when it gets a million degrees in a run. To each their own but this is my opinion.

·
Registered
262 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts