F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Friday afternoon I hoped in my truck started right up, it idled for like idk 8-10mins, ECT was 230F before rolling out the drive way, odd for only being 72F. Got 5 minutes down the road and hit harvest traffic going across the bridge. Sat in traffic for maybe 10 minutes before i realized the truck was getting hot as hell. I put it in neutral to give it some revs to see if it would cool it off and it had the opposite effect, ECT hit like 251F. Pulled off the highway popped the hood and turned it off, checked the dip stick and oil still looked great and at the right level. There was a noticeable gurgling/pressure leaking sound and coolant everywhere. Couldn't tell if it was a hose or the water pump its self. I had to pull off twice to get it home, it would hit 250F and I would neutral, key off, coast. Got like maybe 2 minutes away from my house and the final stint of the limping journey had ECT at 270+F for at least a minute before i pulled in the driveway. I haven't looked at it yet because it makes me sad... I am pretty sure its the water pump or a failed t-stat, so i'll pull all the intake/turbo pipes off to get a better look. As long as my oil looks good and all I have to do is replace a couple of cheap parts. Got my fingers sort of crossed that I didn't damage the turbos, if they are shot then I guess i'll be upgrading, unless something else got seriously warped.. The oil temps never got passed 250F and oil pressure is the same as it always is.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That sucks man. Sounds like there was an air pocket in the motor or something then when coolant got dumped into it, it vaporized. The pressure may have ruptured the cap or a hose somewhere. Usually these water pumps don't break to where they dump a ton a coolant. Hope the prognosis isn't too bad. BTW 230 ECT just idling sounds like a huge red flag. Maybe your fans died?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you start driving if you noticed a critical engine value was well above the expected range... and continue driving until the coolant temp topped 270?
Great question! A.) Because I had to be somewhere. B.) I was 3 miles away from my house. C.) I can afford to break stuff, but I can't always convince the wife...... YOU can say i'm a idiot but I like to feel like it was all planned out... LOL

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sucks man. Sounds like there was an air pocket in the motor or something then when coolant got dumped into it, it vaporized. The pressure may have ruptured the cap or a hose somewhere. Usually these water pumps don't break to where they dump a ton a coolant. Hope the prognosis isn't too bad. BTW 230 ECT just idling sounds like a huge red flag. Maybe your fans died?
Yeah if I had to guess I would say that the t-stat got stuck closed and multiple hoses split or popped. Yeah 230 ECT is not normally how she operates. The reason I think its the water pump is due to the location of the coolant spray. I'll tear it apart next weekend and then start my part order, fingers crossed that I need new turbos....

·
Administrator
7,773 Posts
Did you happen to change the Thermostat in your truck to a lower temp one or do a coolant flush? When I was going through T-Stat issues, my truck would NEVER get up to the correct temp and every single time is was the O-ring/Gasket that either disintegrated or was folded over during install.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you happen to change the Thermostat in your truck to a lower temp one or do a coolant flush? When I was going through T-Stat issues, my truck would NEVER get up to the correct temp and every single time is was the O-ring/Gasket that either disintegrated or was folded over during install.
It was the original t-stat, never bothered with the 180F hotrod trick.

·
Administrator
7,773 Posts
It was the original t-stat, never bothered with the 180F hotrod trick.
I would check the elbow underneath your coolant reservoir for leaking then. If that isn't the culprit, by guess is faulty water pump.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would check the elbow underneath your coolant reservoir for leaking then. If that isn't the culprit, by guess is faulty water pump.
Good to know, I have to tow something with the truck this Saturday, is there anything better that the Ford OEM water pump, something with a smaller pulley?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Great question! A.) Because I had to be somewhere. B.) I was 3 miles away from my house. C.) I can afford to break stuff, but I can't always convince the wife...... YOU can say i'm a idiot but I like to feel like it was all planned out... LOL
Sorry, but your reasoning is flawed. Unless you had to pick up a check worth more than the engine and labor, which would vanish if you weren't on time... then your gamble wasn't worth it.

If you can't "convince" the wife, then I'd suggest picking out a dress.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, but your reasoning is flawed. Unless you had to pick up a check worth more than the engine and labor, which would vanish if you weren't on time... then your gamble wasn't worth it.

If you can't "convince" the wife, then I'd suggest picking out a dress.
so your opting for the "idiot"... I'll mark that down. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I swapped the water pump, and thermostat housing and replaced the gaskets. Ran some Preston radiator flush through it for 2 hours or so, driving around trying to agitate the system. Drained it, toped it off with water ran it for a couple more times doing some small tows across town. Gonna drain it again and start with coolant. I guess I need to replace my radiator... I checked my t-stat and it is shot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts