F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every couple weeks I have to top off my coolant as it runs a little low, took it into the dealer and they said a turbo line was leaking and wrote me a quote for 600$ and some fittings and hoses to be replaced, this was months ago. Took it back recently and they said they can’t find where it’s leaking from, said they did a thorough check of the entire system and didn’t find any leaks, which frustrates me because I have to add coolant often, so something somewhere is leaking. Oil test came back fine so nothing there, any other ideas what it could be? I checked around the turbos thoroughly. dont know what in the world it could be

·
Modinstrator
2,870 Posts
There are on some specific places to look depending upon model year and engine. That said, if keen eyes can’t spot it a dye test will usually help locate the problem.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Our expansion tanks are NOTORIOUS for leaking at the fitting underneath. Very difficult to witness visually, and slow enough not to puddle under the truck.

But those turbo coolant lines are just as notorious. So I don't really blame them for assuming that, but then be honest enough to tell you that they couldn't verify it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Aaron1201

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our expansion tanks are NOTORIOUS for leaking at the fitting underneath. Very difficult to witness visually, and slow enough not to puddle under the truck.

But those turbo coolant lines are just as notorious. So I don't really blame them for assuming that, but then be honest enough to tell you that they couldn't verify it.

that is true, I did read about that fitting and looked I want to say it almost looked like it had a tiny tiny residual spot on it but it was probably just the plastic

·
Registered
541 Posts
As someone who went through this, it was the water pump. It only did it once every couple weeks. Those skid plays don't help when it comes time to find the location. I put dye in and checked it daily.
IMG_20200810_210951.jpg

IMG_20200810_211037.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As someone who went through this, it was the water pump. It only did it once every couple weeks. Those skid plays don't help when it comes time to find the location. I put dye in and checked it daily. View attachment 169208
View attachment 169209
how long did you wait between putting in the dye and checking it? when it comes time to check would it help to remove the bottom plastics to look up underneath the engine better? I will definitely be trying this

·
Registered
541 Posts
how long did you wait between putting in the dye and checking it? when it comes time to check would it help to remove the bottom plastics to look up underneath the engine better? I will definitely be trying this
It was checked every night, so it's really dark and easy to see the dye under UV light.
No, there wasn't a need to remove the skid plate or anything. Once the dye shows up, it should be easy to find the source.
There is "coolant dye" and "oil dye". It's pricey but I got the coolant dye.
Once you figure out what's leaking, might be a good idea to do a coolant flush.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I will add, the water pump is difficult to see. The 37' of air pipes and coolant hoses hinder your view. It'll probably leak low and behind the pulley. You'll eventually find the source, just keep checking every night.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just went through this. It was the water pump leaking through the weep hole.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As someone who went through this, it was the water pump. It only did it once every couple weeks. Those skid plays don't help when it comes time to find the location. I put dye in and checked it daily. View attachment 169208
View attachment 169209
Put in the dye a couple days ago checked it tonight and found this, that dye worked amazing! Looks like its leaking obviously from the elbow but
The hose below it as well
t

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now you can fix it for next to nothing and do a radiator flush.
So looking this elbow up it looks to be a common problem, was thinking about just buying the 10$ elbow but not sure if i should try that first or just go straight to a “diy fix” and get rid of that elbow and just put it a solid elbow piece that doesnt swivel

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Can't tell from the picture but isn't that the expansion tank outlet hose?

·
Registered
541 Posts
So looking this elbow up it looks to be a common problem, was thinking about just buying the 10$ elbow but not sure if i should try that first or just go straight to a “diy fix” and get rid of that elbow and just put it a solid elbow piece that doesnt swivel
Idk. Try the $10 hose and work on a Macgyver solution??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts