F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoy over landing more than I do big lifts and big tires. I am picky about my tires. I've run all different kind of MT's, but that I live in the south(with the occasional ice storm, like this week in Atlanta!) and everyone around here runs MT's. I have been looking at the Cooper Discovery A/T3's recently. It seems to be a pretty good and long wearing tire with a 55k mile warranty. I was curious to know if anyone else is running them, or have thought about these tires. Any input is much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Yeah, I'm LOLing at all the southern boys thinking their 4x4's with MTs can handle roads with a bit of snow. I have the AT3's here in VT and just drove from Wisconsin to here through some pretty intense whiteout conditions due to lake effect snow while towing a trailer. I blasted through up to 6 inches on the highway no problem at 40-55mph in 4hi depending on visibility. Get them.

I have 275/65R20's (slightly over 34"), which were around $260 at the Ford dealer. Total bill with alignment, balance, and mounting was $1100.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! SO from the sounds of it, you like those tires! Sounds like they did great too! I looked at your build page, how was the ride changed going with bilstein 5100's? And what is the AS AAL?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've been researching the same question over and over as I can't stand the factory tires. You may also want to look at the Cooper ATP that discount tire sells, or also the Mastercraft Courser AXT. One of the 3 will probably be going on my truck, just haven't decided which one yet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, seriously, the GY Wrangler SR-A tires that are on my 12 FX4 are complete crap. Ive had them before on other vehicles, not by my choice, and they just suck!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
5100's are worlds better over stock, and for $345 I don't see any reason not to go with them on all 4 corners. Lift height is selectable from stock up to 2.5in. Ride is a little stiffer but handling is much better. The AS AAL is the autospring add a leaf for the rear, adds about 1.5inches over stock and stiffens up the rear. you can definitely tell that gets harsher over stock, but when towing the truck sits level and rides perfect.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I had Cooper AT/3's on my 93 GMC full-size and they were great in all the weather I through at them. Very quiet and looked like new after about 10k.

Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, Goodyear has name band recognition, but the SR-A's just don't cut it. Cooper makes good tires, just don't think they get the respect they truly deserve. And typically they are reasonably priced as well.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Are these the Cooper version of the MT atz p3???

Those will be m next set after these General Grabbers piss me off.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Are these the Cooper version of the MT atz p3???

Those will be m next set after these General Grabbers piss me off.
Not sure, I got the AT3's over terra's, etc., since they have a a ton of siping.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
You mean the MTZ?

Three different TZ tires.

MTZ (mud terrain)
ATZ (all terrain)
ATZ P3 (new gen all terrain)

Also, Cooper owns MT..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just from looking on the websites I would say the following:

Cooper A/T3 doesn't have a comparable one in MT
MT ATZ P3= Cooper S/T Maxx
MT MTZ= Cooper Discoverer STT

But I am no expert, so I could be totally wrong

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Just from looking on the websites I would say the following:

Cooper A/T3 doesn't have a comparable one in MT
MT ATZ P3= Cooper S/T Maxx
MT MTZ= Cooper Discoverer STT

But I am no expert, so I could be totally wrong

I haven't looked yet, I just got new tires. lol

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
The Mickey Thompson ATZ p3 is pretty much the same thing as the Cooper ST Maxx. The only difference is the ATZ p3 is available in lager than a 33" size.

I had the Cooper ST Maxx on my ranger in a 32" and they were really well mannered and ended up being more aggressive in person than the pictures I had seen.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
The p3's look really good, and I hear good things.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The Mickey Thompson ATZ p3 is pretty much the same thing as the Cooper ST Maxx. The only difference is the ATZ p3 is available in lager than a 33" size.

I had the Cooper ST Maxx on my ranger in a 32" and they were really well mannered and ended up being more aggressive in person than the pictures I had seen.
They are relatively aggressive, if I didn't have to drive in snowy and icy bullshit for half the year, that's what I'd get. Can't say anything bad about the AT3's though, they are super quiet and get the job done better on ice. My dad will be switching over to those next like everyone else we know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good tire we have them on the wifes dodge. Pulling horse trailers and with our fine winter we are having they have done great.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
My friend has them on his Chevy and they don't have the best snow traction. But we ain't hit the ditch yet and his truck doesn't have TC. I was quoted $1000 for a set of 4 in 275/60R20 and $1500 for 305/55R20.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Several of my friends have run the normal ATZ's and love them. It's rare that an a/t performs so well in the slop that we have around here, and the road manners are great too. After these Grabbers are shot, I'll be getting either a set of p3's or another set of KM2's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts