F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, but have been reading for a few weeks. Looks like a great place!

I'm in the market for my first ever Ford. I'm pulling a small travel trailer and have decided the F150 Ecoboost with Max Tow is the truck for me.

I'm a pretty frugal fellow and can't stomach the price of new trucks these days. I've had my current Chevy for 11 years now. It's nice to not have payments for so long, and I don't welcome a new loan. That being said, our family has a real need for an upgrade.

I thought that taking advantage of 2013 rebates at the end of the year would be a real help. So, we started shopping. Little did I know how tough it is to find Max Tow on a lot! A local dealership does have what I want though...all except the color. 2013EB XLT 4wd, CC, 6.5' bed, max tow, chrome package, white. It has only 15 miles on it.

I was at the dealer last weekend and they showed me their internet price. MSRP is $44,xxx and the internet price was $34,xxx. The way they presented it last week, I assumed that the current $7000 in rebates came off the sales price. I was wrong, it included rebates. I do qualify for a Zplan purchase. So all week, I had in my mind that I would get it for less than the internet price and then deduct rebates and my trade.

I went back yesterday ready to purchase. Turns out, Zplan was $39,xxx - rebates, put me at about $33,xxx (saving about $1200 off the internet price). My trade has average trade value of $7500 (per KBB and Edmonds). They offered only $5500. And, they didn't share their interest rates.

I'm writing this for a little feedback. Does anyone have experience to know where I could expect this deal to be a little sweeter? Or, does it already seem like a great buy? We don't have to make this purchase. If it isn't a "can't walk away" deal, then we won't do it.

That being said, my heart has fallen in love with the truck already, and I'm sitting here on a Sunday morning depressed that it didn't go like I wanted. Funny how much your current truck ages in your mind once you sit in a new one.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Did your dealer try to find you one at aother dealer? I have to beleive that there are plenty of 2013's out there with Max tow and not white. Have you checked online for other dealers inventory? Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wayne. They did check and found one within 300 miles. I have not checked personally. The one they found was not an option, as it had front buckets and I need to seat 6.

A week ago, I had another dealer search and they found 3 within 500 miles.

Once the dealers find out about Zplan, they have all become less than helpful. This is surprising, as my understanding is that the manufacturer accommodates the price difference to the dealer.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks Wayne. They did check and found one within 300 miles. I have not checked personally. The one they found was not an option, as it had front buckets and I need to seat 6.

A week ago, I had another dealer search and they found 3 within 500 miles.

Once the dealers find out about Zplan, they have all become less than helpful. This is surprising, as my understanding is that the manufacturer accommodates the price difference to the dealer.
I'm not familliar with Z-plan I use X-plan.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Z is $100 less than X according to what I saw on the invoice yesterday.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Z is $100 less than X according to what I saw on the invoice yesterday.
I hope you are able to make a deal on the truck of your choice hopefully, it won't be white.:)

Reactions: 2Canches

·
Registered
556 Posts
Your experience is definitely not unique. I've found that it is extremely hard, if not impossible to find a dealer that is willing to take your money. Been through this song and dance with these people and the only way to handle it is remove all variables, this way you won't get back-ended by the dealer. The first dealer you went to is what you call a learning experience, you got a free education on what you want, a test drive, and what type of screwing you will get if you don't know your options. He is automatically removed from your options as you will never get a good deal from him now. Do not trade in a vehicle as this is a common place to get back-ended, sell it outright. Of course you will lose your $750 trade-in assistance from Ford, but it is worth it. Oh, almost forgot, you will lose most, if not all your rebates if you pay cash.

Now with that out of the way, get on-line and check out all the Ford dealerships you are willing to drive to. Find the vehicle you want and negotiate your deal over the phone and have them e-mail you the bottom line driven of the lot price. You will have to play them against each other and see which one is hungry enough to take your money. Explain to each dealer that you aren't in need of a vehicle but will buy one if the price is right. You got a decent truck now, be prepared to walk and let them call you back in a couple weeks. Again, have everything in writing before you set foot on any dealer's lot. Only reason to be there is to test drive your potential vehicle, complete the paperwork, and drive off. Good luck.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Your experience is definitely not unique. I've found that it is extremely hard, if not impossible to find a dealer that is willing to take your money. Been through this song and dance with these people and the only way to handle it is remove all variables, this way you won't get back-ended by the dealer. The first dealer you went to is what you call a learning experience, you got a free education on what you want, a test drive, and what type of screwing you will get if you don't know your options. He is automatically removed from your options as you will never get a good deal from him now. Do not trade in a vehicle as this is a common place to get back-ended, sell it outright. Of course you will lose your $750 trade-in assistance from Ford, but it is worth it. Oh, almost forgot, you will lose most, if not all your rebates if you pay cash.

Now with that out of the way, get on-line and check out all the Ford dealerships you are willing to drive to. Find the vehicle you want and negotiate your deal over the phone and have them e-mail you the bottom line driven of the lot price. You will have to play them against each other and see which one is hungry enough to take your money. Explain to each dealer that you aren't in need of a vehicle but will buy one if the price is right. You got a decent truck now, be prepared to walk and let them call you back in a couple weeks. Again, have everything in writing before you set foot on any dealer's lot. Only reason to be there is to test drive your potential vehicle, complete the paperwork, and drive off. Good luck.
Looks like Crab Balls has been there and done that. Good advice. I have never had my local dealers not agree to find me what I am looking for and then make a dealer trade or just go get for it me. Of course, the deal has to be what I am willing to pay then, I just let the dealer go get it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
$33K ….

That is an outstanding deal compared to what I paid.

But i am as happy as i can be
i will second that 33k is way good i had xplan and such and all the rebates i paid $100 less then invoice but that was my fault for getting a new vehicle every 6-12 months and being up side down trade value wise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do not think $33k is a good deal at all. I paid $33k for my XLT Screw 4x4, 302a, off road package with the tailgate step. Keep negotiating and pit dealers against each other. We also traded in a new (2 month old Tacoma) and got more than we paid for it. The deals are out there, you just have to do your homework. I have negotiated my last two vehicles entirely online and this has been the simplest way to buy!

·
Registered
73 Posts
If they are showing you the invoice and your price is below invoice the deal sounds pretty good. You will always do better selling your current vehicle yourself and if you belong to a credit union you can get better interest rates. The tow-max trucks are hard to find and dealers just don't seem to order many, it's hard to even find a truck with the 3.73 rear end on dealers lots. Good luck

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I paid 35,877 for my loaded XLT with max tow and alot of bells and whistles in Feb. I say go for it! I agree that the pickup you had seems archaic when compared to my new one. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I paid like 42for fx4 loaded 51something invoice , payment started at like 700 playing hard got down 620! So some is just going in telling or look on line find find truck lower price take show them! Plus you can get better deals with out plans!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Only thing I would have said was for you to get a CarMax purchase price. I sold two cars to CarMax in the last year. They gave me more than dealer trade in both cases by alot

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
First off, white trucks are the best.....

I paid 36k for my loaded Fx4 and have no regrets.....

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
That white paint alone makes the truck a deal at sticker price! Lol

I think you can do better, but that price ain't bad. I user xplan and still negotiated after that. Max tow is extremely hard to find on a dealer lot. When I bought back in March there was only 1 maxtow truck for sale in the entire state. I love my EcoBeast and you will too, but find a deal that works for you since you are the only one that has to live with it.

Regards,

SPPD

Reactions: OxfordFX4

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the comparison prices. SPPD, I think your truck is exactly the one that's available locally, except this one is 6.5' bed.

I could try carmax, however, ford is giving $1750 in rebate on the trade. Making the dealers offer of $5500 a little better than an insult. My trade is worth a legitimate $7300 wholesale. I feel like I should get that plus the rebate. The dealership seems to think that the rebate money gives them room to lowball the trade.

I would buy this truck if they came to the $7300 on my trade and gave a competitive interest rate. The salesman kept saying that the $1k rebate for financing with ford essentially meant that being a point higher was okay. Again, he seems to think the rebates are there for him to make money, not to help me get a better value.

I'm driving from SC to New Orleans over the holiday. Is there any huge dealership on that route that I MUST stop at? I've called one in Atlanta and he said he's found the truck, but won't email me photos or the window sticker.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I need to try listing my trade in auto trader and try to get $9500. That nets me $2k over the dealerships offer. Too busy to fool with that this week though. Starting after Thanksgiving, I'll list it. Should sell quickly at that price, but you never know. It's a one owner, clean, 92,000 mile truck, at under $10k. I haven't seen many of those online.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thanks everyone for the comparison prices. SPPD, I think your truck is exactly the one that's available locally, except this one is 6.5' bed.
It sounds like it, however my truck is only 2wd.

SPPD

1 - 20 of 33 Posts