F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just looking for anyone who has used the CPe intercooler or anyone with some input on how it performs? For the price it seems like an awesome option because I know they make quality parts, but I can’t seem to find anyone with real world experience using it. And searching this forum has gave me no real results.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have one and love it. 10 degrees over ambient no matter how hard i push it. I was pulling my 9k camper this summer when it was 95 degrees out and still never seen over 105 -110 intake temp on long hill pulls. Defiantly one of the best upgrades i have made. Fitment was great to. No issues.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one and love it. 10 degrees over ambient no matter how hard i push it. I was pulling my 9k camper this summer when it was 95 degrees out and still never seen over 105 -110 intake temp on long hill pulls. Defiantly one of the best upgrades i have made. Fitment was great to. No issues.
Awesome that’s exactly what I was looking for, I’m going to be pulling a smaller trailer this summer as well so that’s great to hear. I know it’s got drains for condensation, have you ever noticed it’s accumulated much?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
It does seem like a solid unit. Ive never really looked at it before but it has nice cast end tank with dividers in them to get the air perfectly spread across the entire core. Looks like one of the better stock location units for sure.

My afe certainly doesn’t keep me within 10 degrees of ambient. Towing i will see 140-150F on huge climbs.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi,
Just looking for anyone who has used the CPe intercooler or anyone with some input on how it performs? For the price it seems like an awesome option because I know they make quality parts, but I can’t seem to find anyone with real world experience using it. And searching this forum has gave me no real results.
The prices I am seeing on their website make them in the same price range as the Mishimoto, Wagner or Full-Race on sale. Are you getting a better deal than that? There's lots of options in that 800-1K price range.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You can actually get it for about 700 from CJ Pony Parts which is quite a price difference. And I think 5 star also offers it that low?

·
Registered
345 Posts
i havent had any accumulation issues. I did drill a 1/32" hole in the drain plug for the intercooler so its always purging slightly though.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I am seeing this IC under $700 now. It looks like a great option for someone looking to save a couple hundred bucks. I watched the video over at CJ's and one thing I don't like is that is seems to be leaning forward quite a bit. It's like they kept the stock angle, but raised the height of the IC. So it sits really close to the hood latch. You can even see in the install video that they damaged the fins putting that thing in. I dunno, still on the fence...

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I am seeing this IC under $700 now. It looks like a great option for someone looking to save a couple hundred bucks. I watched the video over at CJ's and one thing I don't like is that is seems to be leaning forward quite a bit. It's like they kept the stock angle, but raised the height of the IC. So it sits really close to the hood latch. You can even see in the install video that they damaged the fins putting that thing in. I dunno, still on the fence...
I think it has the best looking end tank design of any of the stock location cac’s except for maybe the wagner.

The AFE i have is so crappy. The air just flows straight in and slams into the front wall of the end tank. No smooth curves or transistions to guide the air gently. You can tell CPe put a lot of thought into this and the fact that its $2-300 cheaper is impressive.

Full race’s v2 cac is on another level.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Full race’s v2 cac is on another level.
Well that AFe you have isn't cheap. I'd hate to drop a wad and have the same experience you have had with the AFe. Mean if I'm going for a $700 drop, might as well make it a grand to get to that "next level". I wish there was more solid data out there on how well these things drop temps. The information is anecdotal at best with a few graphs of real data. Still leaning towards a Mishimoto or Wagner, but again, another few hundred gets you that Full-Race holy grail. My fear is once I jump down that rabbit hole I'll be digging deeper for more insane upgrades. Not a bad thing, just not a hobby that my wallet can afford.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Well that AFe you have isn't cheap. I'd hate to drop a wad and have the same experience you have had with the AFe. Mean if I'm going for a $700 drop, might as well make it a grand to get to that "next level". I wish there was more solid data out there on how well these things drop temps. The information is anecdotal at best with a few graphs of real data. Still leaning towards a Mishimoto or Wagner, but again, another few hundred gets you that Full-Race holy grail. My fear is once I jump down that rabbit hole I'll be digging deeper for more insane upgrades. Not a bad thing, just not a hobby that my wallet can afford.
I bought my afe used for $450, otherwise i would be pissed. I probably would not have bought the AFE new though, since the wagner, atp, mishimoto, etc are all around the same price.

The full race is def the best cooler(imho), i just am not sure i want it in front of the cooling stack since i already battle with cooling issues towing. Even though the AFE isn’t the best, my issue isn’t really with IAT’s at this point. I’d rather have a stock location cac that has its own air flow.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I completely agree. I wish FR would have made something for the stock location. Then again I guess that is part of the issue with it being down low. I just really like their craftsmanship and quality of their parts.

Did you install that oil cooling setup yet?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I completely agree. I wish FR would have made something for the stock location. Then again I guess that is part of the issue with it being down low. I just really like their craftsmanship and quality of their parts.

Did you install that oil cooling setup yet?
No. I gotta do an oil change in 2000 miles so just waiting on that. Also, the thermostat that was in the adapter was not 195F, I think it was 180F. I ordered the 200F unit from Improved Racing that they recommended.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I ended up buying CPe intercooler, should be here tomorrow $611us from CJ being I’m in Canada the exchange wrecks me.
I was able to talk to a guy who built a bigger turbo gen 1 eco and used the intercooler, only had good things to say so I figured I’d give it a shot,
Will update in the spring when I can do some datalogs to see its effectiveness.

·
Registered
525 Posts
$611us from CJ being I’m in Canada the exchange wrecks me.
Dude I feel you there. Buying anything aftermarket is always a double kick in the nuts because of the exchange :(

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Dude I feel you there. Buying anything aftermarket is always a double kick in the nuts because of the exchange :(

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
And then customs on top of it in most cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just got the Mishimoto with pipes on sale for $700. I’m loving it so far. It’s so much larger and more solidly built. No plastic. All metal pipes and IC with silicone couplers. The pipes were a PITA to install, but the IC itself was a snap. I also added the Turbosmart Supersonic BOV. That took some engineering to install on the Mishimoto, but eventually I got it on.
The only negative I see at this point is no drains for condensate.

Sorry to hijack here, but is it advised to put a petcock or drill a hole on this unit too?

2013 F150 XLT 3.5L SCrew. AFE Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Dual 3-1/2" CAI, Mishimoto Performance Intercooler with Pipes, TurboSmart SP Supersonic BOV Kit , Team RXP Heat Exchanged Dual Catch Can, AEM Coil Packs, SCT/Bully Dog BDX Tuner w/5* Tuning Custom Tunes, AFE ATLAS 4" Aluminized Steel Cat-Back

1 - 20 of 31 Posts