F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Creak / Squeak / Knock in Driver Seat Lumbar Area

Any of you who have a horribly consistent and very audible creak/squeak coming from the lumbar area of your driver’s seat should take these details to your service advisor in hopes that they’ll skip the first repair that didn’t work (for my truck anyway) and skip right to the second repair I had finished today that we hope will solve the problem for good.

The way I understand it, the lumbar adjustment in the F150 driver’s seat is a bladder type mechanism that bolts into the seat frame. When you twist the knob on the left side base of your driver’s seat it actuates a spring there on the left side, which in turn pulls on the bars in the lumbar assembly/bladder in the seat back. This puts tension on the bars which bows them out into your back. The other (right) side of the lumbar assembly does not have a spring and simply attaches into the seat frame.

Ford’s first fix was to have my dealer replace the entire lumbar assembly. This saw the seat stay quiet for 3 whole days before the noises came back slightly, and then got worse and worse over the following weeks to where any movement I made or pressure I put on the seat resulted in a 100% consistent and reproducible creak/squeak. The noises come mostly from the left side of the seat lumbar (where the tension spring is) and sometimes a knock type noise coming out of the right side of the seat lumbar.

The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] fix finished today was a labor only evaluation and troubleshooting of the situation where they discovered that the tensioning spring on the left side of the lumbar assembly was coming into contact with some part of the seat frame or lumbar mechanism. With every shift of weight against the seat, the spring was being contacted and perhaps compressed slightly which was producing the noises. They adjusted the way the lumbar mechanism sat in the seat, and maybe even bent something to ensure the spring had ample room to operate and never came into contact with the rest of the seat/lumbar mechanism at any time. No parts replaced, just some good old fashioned root cause analysis. I hope it stays quiet or it’s going back a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] time!

Hope this helps some of you, it sure annoyed the hell outta me. And if you have this issue please go report it to your friendly local dealer because I hear it takes about a year and quite a bit of feedback for Ford to issue a formal TSB on things.

Earlier discussion here:
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3...-first-warranty-service-2-parts-replaced.html

·
Registered
943 Posts
I hope it is a permanent fix. I haven't had this problrm with mine and sure hope I don't.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Crap! Mines the power lumbar, and it's creaking...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts
F*** that bringing it to ford. Rather fix it myself. Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
GIX

Thanks for posting that info. My driver set is doing the exact same thing. I did a Google search and found your thread. I will give this info to the dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is 90% better... No squeak/creak coming from the left side of the seat where the spring is, but there is still the occasional knocking noise coming from the right side when I shift my weight back against it. Apprently the right side has no spring and is where the lumbar assembly hooks into the seat frame, so its probably getting a little bit of play there.

Will probably wait until my first service to have them address it a third time, damnit.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If that is a hook on a spring, do you think a piece of vacuum hose on it would work as an isolator? For the time being I just adjusted my lumbar out as far as it goes. Not very comfortable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just left the dealer. They are going to replace my lumbar spring assembly. They ordered it today. Let's see if this fixes the problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well.the dealership replaced the lumbar spring assembly. They told me I was go to go. So I pick it up after hours and it still squeeks!!!!!

Looks like I'm going back tomorrow with this thread info in my hand....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just left the dealer. They are going to replace my lumbar spring assembly. They ordered it today. Let's see if this fixes the problem.
That's what the original poster said: only after they modified the frame mount did it get fixed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know. I told the dealer about the OP mishap. I told them it may just need adjusted. I was reading about it online. The service advisor ignored my insight. So they decided to order a new assembly. Well it got them no where. Going back today with this thread printed out...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Update.....

So the new lumber was squeaking too.

However after about a week it's now quieter than a church mouse. So for a week it's been good. I'm gonna cancel my appointment for now. Hopefully the squeak is gone......

·
Registered
96 Posts
No its squeaking again......wt.......Gonna wait a few weeks and go back to the dealer. Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If I adjust my lumbar all the way out, it is quiet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

It defiantly helps on mine too. The further I extend it the quieter it gets. I'm not real comfortable driving with it extended all the way out. You would think a new truck wouldn't have a quiet seat no matter what position the lumbar is in...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah, I agree that it shouldn't, among other things, like steering popping or drivetrain clunking. ?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The service advisor ignored my insight. So they decided to order a new assembly. Well it got them no where. Going back today with this thread printed out...
Of course they ignored it... That way they can get paid when the replace the entire assembly (which they can justify doing in this case) and then get paid again when you take it back a 2nd or 3rd time because it didnt work.

Mine is 90% better and no longer makes any noise from the left (spring) side since they adjustmed/modified it, but it still has an occasional knock if I press back into the right side of the seat. Not sure it's worth having them rip the seat out of the truck a 3rd time, but we'll see how it goes long-term.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took it back for this a third time last week. The squeak on the left side (spring side) they fixed last time has stayed quiet, but I was still getting a knock / crack / snap sound out of the right side if I shifted my weight back.

The notes in the repair this time say "squeek coming from lumbar support mounting hook insulation, applied felt tape and verified for repair".

Lets hope the third times the charm with this. :mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts