F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plan is to travel across Canada from British Columbia to Prince Edward Island and down the eastern seaboard to Florida. We are a married pair of 65 year old retirees active in kayaking, hiking and fishing wherever there is a lake or spilling water. We travel with 2 dogs who are active with us. We like the idea of a Toy Hauler, specifically Freedom Express model 301BLDS built by Coachmen. The trailer is 33'7" from bumper to hitch, has a shipping weight of 6450 lbs., a hitch weight of 950 lbs. and a carrying capacity of 3400 lbs. In the cargo area we will only be carrying 2-50 lb. kayaks,
a 9 ft. 65 lb. fly fishing boat, various fishing gear, portable generator, and various barbecue and outside entertainment items. All told, maybe 1000 lbs. plus the usual items 2 people take with them on an extended travel excursion. With that in mind plus the dogs and their requirements, we probably would not exceed 2,000 lbs.
The tow vehicle is a 2011 F150 Ecoboost Super Crew with max tow, 11,200 lbs towing cap., 6.5 ft. box, 373 gears, 7700 lb. GVW. Tires are Goodyear Duratrac 18", and I have a set of front-end lift shocks that raise the front end 1.5 inches. I have done nothing to the rear as far as lift.
Years ago we enjoyed traveling in our 1-ton truck (F350- v10) and a 33 foot 12,000 lb. dry fifth wheel. So, we are not newbies to traveling this wonderful North American country and enjoying that
lifestyle.
My question I put forward for discussion is: Do you think that putting on 10-12 thousand miles on the tow vehicle will be over-taxing it with a trailer this size? Currently we have less than 20K miles on it. Would I need to
put an extra leaf or perhaps bags on the rear of the truck? Best suggestions for anti-sway and or weight distributing hitch. Would you go to a lighter trailer for such an extended trip. (although there
are no lighter toy haulers with a separated living area from the cargo area). And any other concerns that you might come up with that perhaps I have overlooked.
I hope to gain some valuable information from those that wish to share. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I like my add-a-leafs, and I also have a front shock lift. Haven't towed anything near that weight though, but yes, you'll want something for the rear or else you will be blinding people.

Reactions: delrio

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up my travel trailer yesterday with a 2011 max tow crewcab. The trailer was 6600lb dry weight, about 7200lb trailer as it was. I weighed it and the back axle 3800lbs with full tank of gas, me, wife and 1 kid. The limit is 4050lbs so it is a bit close.
I do believe the tongue weight will actually lighten a little bit when I pack my small generator and cargo in back f the trailer.
I had a 200lb equal-I-zer installed and it was very comfortable, I would be alright towing it across country. The truck handled the weight no problem, hills were fine and bump were different than unloaded but never felt like I was too much for the truck.
I do plan on adding airbags even though not necessary. As far as taxing the motor too much, I do not know?

·
Registered
943 Posts
The plan is to travel across Canada from British Columbia to Prince Edward Island and down the eastern seaboard to Florida. We are a married pair of 65 year old retirees active in kayaking, hiking and fishing wherever there is a lake or spilling water. We travel with 2 dogs who are active with us. We like the idea of a Toy Hauler, specifically Freedom Express model 301BLDS built by Coachmen. The trailer is 33'7" from bumper to hitch, has a shipping weight of 6450 lbs., a hitch weight of 950 lbs. and a carrying capacity of 3400 lbs. In the cargo area we will only be carrying 2-50 lb. kayaks,
a 9 ft. 65 lb. fly fishing boat, various fishing gear, portable generator, and various barbecue and outside entertainment items. All told, maybe 1000 lbs. plus the usual items 2 people take with them on an extended travel excursion. With that in mind plus the dogs and their requirements, we probably would not exceed 2,000 lbs.
The tow vehicle is a 2011 F150 Ecoboost Super Crew with max tow, 11,200 lbs towing cap., 6.5 ft. box, 373 gears, 7700 lb. GVW. Tires are Goodyear Duratrac 18", and I have a set of front-end lift shocks that raise the front end 1.5 inches. I have done nothing to the rear as far as lift.
Years ago we enjoyed traveling in our 1-ton truck (F350- v10) and a 33 foot 12,000 lb. dry fifth wheel. So, we are not newbies to traveling this wonderful North American country and enjoying that
lifestyle.
My question I put forward for discussion is: Do you think that putting on 10-12 thousand miles on the tow vehicle will be over-taxing it with a trailer this size? Currently we have less than 20K miles on it. Would I need to
put an extra leaf or perhaps bags on the rear of the truck? Best suggestions for anti-sway and or weight distributing hitch. Would you go to a lighter trailer for such an extended trip. (although there
are no lighter toy haulers with a separated living area from the cargo area). And any other concerns that you might come up with that perhaps I have overlooked.
I hope to gain some valuable information from those that wish to share. Thanks in advance.

You will for sure need a weight distributing hitch. I added the Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) to my truck. It has improved my trailer handling over my previous travels. I am using an Andersen WDH & sway control. I like this better than my previous spring bar and friction sway control. I intend to add E-rated tires at some future date. I have not weighed my trailer but we load it pretty heavy and I am estimating it weighs in at slightly over 8000#'s. Boostie has no problem pulling it where ever I want to go. Sounds like you have great trip planned. Please give us a progress report or a final report upon our return home.

Reactions: Raiderfan1890

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will for sure need a weight distributing hitch. I added the Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) to my truck. It has improved my trailer handling over my previous travels. I am using an Andersen WDH & sway control. I like this better than my previous spring bar and friction sway control. I intend to add E-rated tires at some future date. I have not weighed my trailer but we load it pretty heavy and I am estimating it weighs in at slightly over 8000#'s. Boostie has no problem pulling it where ever I want to go. Sounds like you have great trip planned. Please give us a progress report or a final report upon our return home.
Thanks to all who responded. Will surely look into the RAS and Andersen WDH & Sway Control.....Will also look into added leafs and be careful with weight allocation. Next is to try and find the TH
at a reasonable and fair price. Will post updates when trailer purchased and first few weekend outings before the big cross country trek....thanks again.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts