F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I popped an exhaust manifold stud and have the super annoying leak/squeal noise now. I’m 4K miles out of my extended warranty, so I’m on my own for this either way. I have been planning on using this as an opportunity to do some upgrades. But after waiting a month, the CRP manifolds are still on backorder. Now I’m wondering if they are even worth doing on a truck that will likely never see bigger turbos. I was planning to do the SPD adapters at the same time. Is it worth the time and money without bigger turbos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
I’m wondering if they are even worth doing on a truck that will likely never see
From what i have read they are a better material and resist warping a lot better so even on stock turbos they would be ideal

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes i would say they are worth it. You could just as easily warp the next set of stockers as well and then you gotta do it all over again. Thats not something I would wish upon anyone.

Performance wise, no, i dont think they would buy you much.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I put the CRPs on my stock with stock turbos. It has made a world of difference for me towing. It seems like I can hold gears longer and up steeper grades.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
As mentioned above, the stock manifolds are prone to warping (been there myself). The CRP have wider flanges and less prone.

Since you must go "in" to fix your problem, it is definitely worth it (or risk having to go back in the future).

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
I need to get this done too my drivers side has been bad for 3 years. But only chirps when cold then still seals up.

I just don't know if nearly 6 times the price is really worth it especially on a stock truck.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I need to get this done too my drivers side has been bad for 3 years. But only chirps when cold then still seals up.

I just don't know if nearly 6 times the price is really worth it especially on a stock truck.
When it first started, it only did it when the engine was initially started and taking off from a standing start. But over time, mine got worse and would occur whenever I was pushing on the throttle (and not necessarily floored) and in the 3 lower gears (regardless whether the engine was just started or been running for hours).

I was lucky, mine was covered by warranty.

But now that I am no longer covered by warranty, and I plan to keep the truck for awhile now. I have the CRP manifolds, GT Turbos and SPD ported adapters, just waiting for anything to go. Then I'll have them all replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

It worth it simply because of the insurance not to have to go back and do it again. Its not a pleasant job.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Yes but Canadian company charging $550 US for jsut the manifolds = $800+ for us Canadians.

·
Registered
60 Posts
IF you do the manifolds and stick with your original turbos, be sure to replace coolant fittings (they’re prone to leaking) while you’re at it. My dealer offer to add that for cost of parts as the big part of the job is getting to the manifolds.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IF you do the manifolds and stick with your original turbos, be sure to replace coolant fittings (they’re prone to leaking) while you’re at it. My dealer offer to add that for cost of parts as the big part of the job is getting to the manifolds.
I’ve watched a couple YouTube videos in doing the job myself, and those fittings were emphasized as being on the parts list. That is solid advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, so the CRP manifolds arrived yesterday and I’m still waiting on the other parts (gaskets, coolant fittings, etc) to show up. Is it worth having the manifolds ceramic coated while I’m waiting?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
OK, so the CRP manifolds arrived yesterday and I’m still waiting on the other parts (gaskets, coolant fittings, etc) to show up. Is it worth having the manifolds ceramic coated while I’m waiting?

"while you're in there" yes.

It is a lot of work to get to them, don't kid yourself and the jiffy tite fittings are very finicky. I say do the turbos and manifolds while you're there!

How are the manifolds built in canada more expensive in canada vs us? lol

@CRP Engineering is very nice guy BTW. I just put the manifolds in with 2000 degree coating. See my thread!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I could only get the jiffy fittings on the turbos and the block. The ones on the back of the heads were just too cramped to get at unless you have small hands or some special tool. What does the ceramic coatings cost? Depending upon what you're after and the purpose of the truck, that money might be better spent on a different add-on IMO. Ditto on CRP. Top-notch service.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, so it's been a little while since I got all of the parts. Now I'm waiting on the manifolds and adapters to get Cerakoted. It's taking a while, but I was able to get it done for just the cost of the materials, so that was a no-brainer. Next question, with the manifolds and the SPD adapters, is there enough of a difference in performance potential that a new tune from someone that will datalog and do updates is worth while? Current tunes are from LET, so updates aren't really a possibility.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
nevermind, I misread your question. Post some install pics!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I cant believe they would make that big a difference on a stock turbo truck unless you were already maxing out the turbos.

If anything you may see a little less wastegate if the exhaust is able to escape the cylinder a little better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts