F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I hate complaining about a product, especially in this case, but I know I would more so hate purchasing a high dollar item to find it not meeting expectations. I won these fog lights from a Facebook competition back in the beginning of April and I was thrilled! These would be replacing a set of Morimoto knock-offs (Pre-XB) I found on amazon for around $50. The contest was sponsored by 4x4TruckLEDs (I believe this is their product) and they were absolutely great to work with. They got them sent right out and I was able to install them on April 14th.
Another little note before I get to the lights. I've had Bambi mode activated on my truck for about a year and half, I also set my fog lights as my DRL. I ran the stock housings with LED bulbs this way for a couple months with no issues at all, I then ran the amazon lights for 9 months with zero issues as well.

Now back to the CrystaLux Fog Lights
The packaging they came in was great, very slick looking. My first impression of the lights was that the lense cover seemed a little flimsy in comparison to the ones I already had, but it really wasn't too bad. I proceeded to install.
I started with the passenger side, got the light in and fired it up to test it out. Looked awesome! I turned them back off and then worked on the drivers side. Once I got that one in I roughly adjusted them, starting with the pass side and then the drivers side. I got done on the drivers side to see that the pass side had quit working. :eek: I checked the connection, and even plugged my old light back in, which still worked. I checked the wires again, wiggled everything and nothing still.. Other side still worked though.
I messaged 4x4TruckLEDs about the issue, and he agreed to send me new one then I would send him the defective one back. He stated he hadn't see an issue with these, and was curious as to why it quit. I wasn't complaining, because these lights were free to me and nothing's perfect. At least he was willing to send a replacement.

I got the replacement on the 21st, swapped it out on the 22nd and sent him the defective one back (I paid for postage, but no biggie). All was great and I was super happy with the lights.
That is until on the 25th I noticed the drivers side quit working.. D#!*mit! Note that during the time I was waiting for him to send me the replacement that I left both lights installed, but they were both unplugged. No nothing was able to damage the plug, I didn't drive in any water whatsoever, nor mud. (Utah is dry, dry this year, plus my truck sits in the driveway 5+ days of the week.)
I messaged 4x4TruckLEDs again, completely expecting them to tell I was I was out of luck since I really hadn't paid for these lights, but on the 27th he told me that He would send me a replacement again.
I don't remember the dates, but essentially the same drill as last time. I left both lights unplugged until I could get the replacement in, swapped out the bad one and shipped it back to him.

Everything was great this time for a while longer. Both lights worked awesome. Then on Aug 14th the passenger side decided to quit again.. Again I messaged 4x4TruckLEDs. This time I mainly wanted to just let them know that I was still having issues with the lights. At this point I don't see a point in him continuing to send me free lights, and honestly I don't want to be continuously changing them out. This time I explained that the lights were being used as DRL, but even so the truck doesn't get driven much. I told him that all the changes were made in the computer of the truck, and that I didn't think that would cause an issue with the voltage the lights were receiving, but maybe so. He messaged me back, also puzzled at the culprit and asked that I checked the voltage at the connections. I did so and got 14.5.

Now I'm not sure if that's "too high" but seeing as to how 2 other setups have ran in these conditions without issues I'm leaning towards the fact that the CrystaLux lights are the issue. If anyone would like to test their voltage at the fog light connector and get back with me that would be awesome!

Today I decided to put my amazon lights back in. In the future I may try out the Morimoto XB lights if something can't be figured out with these CrystaLux. I definitely like the newer flat face and looks of the CrystaLux and XB's compared to the amazon ones, and the light output of the CrystaLux were amazing, but I can't keep dealing with non functioning lights. I hate realizing I've been driving around for who knows how long with only one light working..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gonna send you a completely new set, v2.0s (which are 2x brighter than Morimotos). I think the higher voltage you have coming out of your fogs is causing them to die. v1.0 (which you have) use a different LED chipset which may not play well with the 14volts for some reason. v2.0s (which were released after you won those) use a different LED diode now, which should handle that voltage just fine. You should have them in a few days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gonna send you a completely new set, v2.0s (which are 2x brighter than Morimotos). I think the higher voltage you have coming out of your fogs is causing them to die. v1.0 (which you have) use a different LED chipset which may not play well with the 14volts for some reason. v2.0s (which were released after you won those) use a different LED diode now, which should handle that voltage just fine. You should have them in a few days.
Thanks! I really appreciate it!
I still hope someone will respond with what their voltage is. I would hate to fry the new ones as well if there really is some issue with my truck.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It is awesome to see you stand behind your product. Even better standing behind it when it was a giveaway. I wonder if mine are LED?

Thanks! I really appreciate it!
I still hope someone will respond with what their voltage is. I would hate to fry the new ones as well if there really is some issue with my truck.
I will try to remember to check mine this weekend. However mine is a 2018 Platinum so may not be much value given the difference in model year.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The V2's look awesome, but why are all the LED replacement fogs in the 5500+K temp range?

None of them look good with our OEM HID's being 4300k.

Really wish there were some lower temp LED options out there.

FYI, I'm currently running the amazon specials. Seriously looking at baking them open to see if i can switch out the diodes to a warmer color...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts