F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 4WD Lariat Sport, SuperCrew, 4WD, 3.5 EcoBoost, Special Edition Package
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned the truck since February 2020 and this is the first time I've ever gotten anything in the mail from Ford about the notorious cam phaser rattle. Since ownership at 20K miles I've had the noise and am approaching 30K as of now. I can prevent the initial startup rattle by cranking the engine for longer but sometimes a knocking noise develops after running for a few minutes but usually goes away once fully warmed up. I have zero issues with the transmission except for the classic 10R80 whine which I've been told is normal. It shifts smooth as silk. I'm not aware of the truck having anything done to it at a dealer since rolling off the production line, so all parts/software are original at the time it was assembled in early August 2018. The engine has a sticker dated August 3, 2018. I'm planning to take it in soon for the 21B10 but wanted to know if anyone else has had this done beginning in October and if any startup rattle is still present and if transmission problems developed after the PCM update.

The letter states if I get the update before February 28 2022 Ford will provide a prorated repair for the cam phasers if the 21B10 doesn't fix the problem if I understand the letter correctly.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,648 Posts
It is Ford's attempt to address unsatisfied customers with a "customer satisfaction" approach to the noisy phasers.
If you read closely, they claim that the noise does not result in any kind of malfunction of the truck or its performance, but they will change them out if the update does not quieten them.

Since you are well within the normal powertrain warranty, they should address your truck anyway.

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 4WD Lariat Sport, SuperCrew, 4WD, 3.5 EcoBoost, Special Edition Package
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the 21B10 done and I'm disappointed to say phaser noise is worse. Cold starting seems about the same as before but now more clatter is heard when idling at operating temperature. Not as bad as another video of a 2018 I posted several months ago that might as well had been powered by a Peterbilt engine, but definitely more noticeable. The phasers are getting replaced about a month from now as the dealer determined the update failed to resolve the rattle as they started it the next morning. Go figure. All of us owners know the B10 doesn't solve anything and is just Ford's last attempt at a cheap fix. Luckily I haven't experienced any transmission problems so far. I hope the new phasers are designed without issues. I hope Ford finally learned their lesson 17+ years later since the 3-valve Triton days . . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I had mine done on my 2017 3.5 ecoboost. They started with the "update" then like yours it got worse at times but stayed the same. I had bad shuddering where the whole truck would vibrate. Then they replaced the phasers and after that it was smooth and quiet for a day... had noise after that again (aside from the hpfp). Then later last year had the revert programing done and it has been better. Still have some noise like before though. Sometimes sounds like a chain rattle, other times sounds like I have a diesel.

So, after you get the phasers changed, make sure they revert it to the original programming. Before they did the "update". The problem was mechanical not software lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Going to the stealership in an hour to initiate this CSP. My local dealership is notoriously poor with customer service in general so I'm half expecting them to tell me to go pound sand about phaser replacement.

They literally berated me when I inquired about warranty action over my rattling wastegates on my '18 XLT so who knows how this will go.

Alls I know is, I miss my tune already. My truck feels like a gelding now :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's not cool. They must have forgotten they are a "service center" and what that means... do you have another one you're able to go to? I was also told that if they can't fix the problem with more than 3 times of bringing it, call Ford directly and explain. They can tell them to fix it.

I think ford really doesn't want to change waste gates or turbos, I asked about my passenger side as well and they said they couldn't hear anything 🤔 lol

Hope the stealership goes well though.
I can imagine about the tune, have yet to tune mine but have been longing to do it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My local dealer was a long standing Mom and Pop owned dealership that got to big for its breaches. It was recently bought out by a much larger dealership. While retained most of the existing staff, the new owner of course injected some "new blood" so to speak to start carving out it's mold. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction but only time will tell.

I just presented the CSP letter Ford sent me to the service manager and he has thus far been attentive and snark free.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I had mine done on Thursday 2/17/22, I have not had or heard a rattle from truck since new 80k on the dial, I returned my truck to stock a week ago today (5* 93 per. and 93 tow) as someone stated it's something to get used to again, it just has no low end grunt
on the positive side it shifts butter smooth in stock compared to 5* and I gained almost a 1 mpg according to the lie-o-meter, Friday I towed to camp and came back yesterday with 2 quads (3500 LBS) seems to have increased 1/2 mpg when towing also, I have no issues to report since the update has been done, tomorrow she heads off to get the 180 t-stat, SPD down pipes, turbo adapters installed and tuned on a dyno

·
Registered
24 Posts
The dealer here sucks. I guess since they are the only dealer around they can treat customers however they want. I went in early this month for the updates. They scheduled me for March 30. At least a six week wait for anything other than a oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well had the 21B10 recal performed on my '18 XLT yesterday and to no one's surprise it didn't "fix" the already knocking phasers. Started video documentation for the dealership when they give me the "our tech didn't observe the knock/rattle so we can't perform the phaser replacement" line of bullstuff. I have an appointment next Tuesday to go back in and plan on recording every cold start from now until then as documentation. Heck I may as well just load them to an SD card and give it to the dealership when I hand them my keys.

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,432 Posts
Well had the 21B10 recal performed on my '18 XLT yesterday and to no one's surprise it didn't "fix" the already knocking phasers. Started video documentation for the dealership when they give me the "our tech didn't observe the knock/rattle so we can't perform the phaser replacement" line of bullstuff. I have an appointment next Tuesday to go back in and plan on recording every cold start from now until then as documentation. Heck I may as well just load them to an SD card and give it to the dealership when I hand them my keys.
Go to a different dealership Service department. Best device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
60 Posts
Go to a different dealership Service department. Best device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To my surprise the service manager didn't even hesitate. He questioned nothing, and ordered parts to complete the replacement. Who knows maybe the new ownership cleaned up the culture a bit. One can hope...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took mine in this Monday and got it back this morning. I'm pleased to say the rattle is totally gone now and everything seems to have been put back together correctly. The service advisor told me the phasers they put in are what Ford's using for the 2021+ 3.5s which don't seem to be plagued by the problem anymore.
So far I'm not experiencing overheating as others have reported after replacing the phasers. The temperature stayed in the middle whether driving in neighborhoods or running the piss out of it on the highway at 90 mph at full boost.
One of the other things they did was perform an induction service to clean the carbon off the valves which I agreed to. But then I remembered today the 2nd gen is dual injected so the valves shouldn't get gunked up like the first gens.
Related to the engine the only anomaly I've noticed is a faint intermittent rattle coming from the left side at idle when at operating temperature (around 3:30 in the video but you may not be able to hear it). I'm not going to do anything about it unless it gets significantly louder. If the hood is closed it can't be heard at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked through past videos on my phone and discovered I filmed a video two months ago of what the engine sounded like after the 21B10 reprogram which made things sound worse.
Ignore the video title as it's not intended for this forum and is for the general internet. It was going to be an April fools joke on April fools but I forgot to post it. If I knew nothing about these engines I might believe it's a new Power Stroke from the sound. I wonder how many Netizens will fall for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I looked through past videos on my phone and discovered I filmed a video two months ago of what the engine sounded like after the 21B10 reprogram which made things sound worse.
Ignore the video title as it's not intended for this forum and is for the general internet. It was going to be an April fools joke on April fools but I forgot to post it. If I knew nothing about these engines I might believe it's a new Power Stroke from the sound. I wonder how many Netizens will fall for it.

I had the same experience with my '17 3.5 ecoboost as I stated earlier in the thread. Just had the phasers replaced AGAIN as they were apparently not working correctly, again. Lol. I will post a video of mine.
So far I've had the first reprogram, then phaser replacement, then the reprogram back to original programming, then last month phasers replaced again and now after it ran BEAUtifully for about 2 weeks had a mystery noise appear again....🤦🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got the call today all the parts are in for my phaser replacement. Soonest they would have a stall open is Thursday May 26th and they are saying it's only a 2 day job so hopefully I can get it back that Saturday.

Like many others, the reprogram seemed to make my CSR worse. I will be asking them to go back to the original software when it's in the shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I had mine done on my 2017 3.5 ecoboost. They started with the "update" then like yours it got worse at times but stayed the same. I had bad shuddering where the whole truck would vibrate. Then they replaced the phasers and after that it was smooth and quiet for a day... had noise after that again (aside from the hpfp). Then later last year had the revert programing done and it has been better. Still have some noise like before though. Sometimes sounds like a chain rattle, other times sounds like I have a diesel.

So, after you get the phasers changed, make sure they revert it to the original programming. Before they did the "update". The problem was mechanical not software lol.
I was told by the dealer that once the rattle starts the updates do no good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was told by the dealer that once the rattle starts the updates do no good.
Yes that would make sense as its a mechanical issue mainly from lack of proper oiling it seems. They did the update because it was the direction right when it came out. Which they didn't know much about how to correct the problem, still not too good it seems though lol

1 - 20 of 19 Posts