F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
meth is great because you basically get 100-110 octane and eliminates the possibility of detonation

however with meth you should still keep the timing conservative (lets say within 18 degrees)

meth is a great idea if you are running 20+ pounds of boost as well

·
Administrator
9,503 Posts
I have meth on the way.

Oh, and I'm gonna run methanol too! Don't know squat yet about nozzle sizes and stuff. I think I'm going to run a 60/40 mix. I'm as interested in valve cleaning and cooling as I am extra power.

·
Administrator
9,503 Posts
Most say the 1000cc nozzle. I wanted more cooling without reducing the mix so I went to the 1200cc nozzle.

If you look at the pull you will see the ambient temp dropped through the run. These are real world pulls. My ambient temps change as I drive around along with my iat1 and iat2 numbers. It's not always cut and dry like a dyno or track pull.
I'll probably just use whatever Torrie tells me to run. I may bump it to 70/30. I don't know. I want a solid power boost, but I also want valve cleaning and cooling power.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I bumped mine to 70/30 mainly because the 91 out here is crap. We have heat here, but not much for humidity, so my temps stayed pretty much the same. On a really hot 100+ day, it'll still cool it to around 78-80 degrees. The Iat's can hit 140 if I'm parked for a while. It'll cool right back down to the high 80's after a good hit. This stuff's amazing.

·
Administrator
9,503 Posts
I run 93, and I *think* that it's good. 5* said it looked good on their 93 performance anyway.

I'm going to have a 91 tune not tuned for meth, that I will use meth on anyway. But if I get stuck without it I'll be fine. Then a 93 performance with meth.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Teezy, in your table. The METH side should be showing a NEGATIVE difference between the IAT1 and IAT2.

And on the top tables (lowest) .... MAYBE you have the IAT2 Non-Meth & Meth transposed too?

PS: Any chance of computing the amount of methanol consumed in a 1/4 mile run? I have my own "project" and I do not yet have methanol. I need to know the amount of methanol that is typically consumed in a 1/4 mile run. I am trying to compute the amount of "Octane boost increase" over the gas octane in the tank.

·
Administrator
9,503 Posts
I wasn't saying you made the numbers up but the reading is erroneous. Looks like you made the log while the temp was normalizing. The point was there's no way unless you're freezing the intercooler with something that you can get post turbo temps below ambient. There may be other ways but not with our set ups. Now with meth that's a different story. I'm starting to think I should've went with meth instead of an intercooler. Main issue that worries me is what if the meth kit fails. I wish there was a fail-safe that could cut power in the event of a failure.
My answer for that is a tune that isn't tuned "for meth". That I use daily and on trips. I'll still use meth on that tune, and still see a lot of benefit from it (I'm told). But the tune won't depend on it.

Then I'll have another tune to take full advantage of the meth. But of course while using this tune will really watch the data and pay attention to the warning lights on my controller.

Maybe someday someone can build us a non meth tune while in "normal" shift strategy, that switches to a meth tune in "sport". Or tow haul. I'd lay good money for that...

·
Registered
283 Posts
My answer for that is a tune that isn't tuned "for meth". That I use daily and on trips. I'll still use meth on that tune, and still see a lot of benefit from it (I'm told). But the tune won't depend on it.

Then I'll have another tune to take full advantage of the meth. But of course while using this tune will really watch the data and pay attention to the warning lights on my controller.

Maybe someday someone can build us a non meth tune while in "normal" shift strategy, that switches to a meth tune in "sport". Or tow haul. I'd lay good money for that...
I have thought of that and if it's mainly for cooling could you run mostly water? I was thinking maybe 70-30 or 60-40 water to meth.

·
Administrator
9,503 Posts
I have thought of that and if it's mainly for cooling could you run mostly water? I was thinking maybe 70-30 or 60-40 water to meth.
I landed on research showing that a 30/70 meth/water mix would be good. "Best for mileage" I read. I'm thinking of running a 50/50 mix like that. And 60/40 on the meth tune.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Teezy, in your table. The METH side should be showing a NEGATIVE difference between the IAT1 and IAT2.

And on the top tables (lowest) .... MAYBE you have the IAT2 Non-Meth & Meth transposed too?

i did them in colors because the excel sheet was acting up. The blue is cooler temps the red is hotter temps

PS: Any chance of computing the amount of methanol consumed in a 1/4 mile run? I have my own "project" and I do not yet have methanol. I need to know the amount of methanol that is typically consumed in a 1/4 mile run. I am trying to compute the amount of "Octane boost increase" over the gas octane in the tank.
next time I hit up the track I'll see what it uses

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I wasn't saying you made the numbers up but the reading is erroneous. Looks like you made the log while the temp was normalizing. The point was there's no way unless you're freezing the intercooler with something that you can get post turbo temps below ambient. There may be other ways but not with our set ups. Now with meth that's a different story. I'm starting to think I should've went with meth instead of an intercooler. Main issue that worries me is what if the meth kit fails. I wish there was a fail-safe that could cut power in the event of a failure.
i understand what your saying. That's why I said these are real world pulls. This is what the logs show on these pulls. typically my logs look like the 2nd log. But i wanted to posted up what my logs showed.

I would like to do something like water misters to help cool the the iat2 down.

I agree reed with you on the fail part. I'll probably replace the pump every 8 months to be on the safe side. Maybe pickup the aem fail safe

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Still looking at the table, the best "cooling of IAT2" with Meth was -19.8 (IAT1 vs IAT2). And the worse "Cooling of IAT2" (non-meth) was +21.6 (IAT1 vs IAT2).

That is still a 40*F difference. Using the old formula of 1% HP difference for every 10*F, that is still a 4% HP Difference. On 350RWHP, that is 14RWHP.

But, if Teezy has THIS info, what was the KR and Spark Advance for each run? If the Meth reduced KR and allowed for a 2* Spark Advance, that could result in a significant HP difference also. And run the vehicle with the same tune (non-meth) ... so we can see the effect of the Meth without an optimized tune. Of course an optimized tune should yield more spark advance and one of it's primary power enhancing capabilities).

Teezy keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hopefully once it cools back off here I can get some equal temps runs. I have noticed that the humidity % seems to effecting how much the meth setup aid in cooling.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I run 93, and I *think* that it's good. 5* said it looked good on their 93 performance anyway.

I'm going to have a 91 tune not tuned for meth, that I will use meth on anyway. But if I get stuck without it I'll be fine. Then a 93 performance with meth.
Whoa! This is the warranty at 5* guy. You really getting meth! Quite a jump. Working with Torie now as well?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
So the title is "curious". What questions do you have? Looks like you have it covered and are in track for success

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
1 - 20 of 104 Posts
About this Discussion
103 Replies
25 Participants
Gremlin85
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing