F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Back again with another Meth question. It might be a dumb one but I'm not a meth head and this is my first ever turbo vehicle. So with the meth controller it needs to tap into a boost line. I have the full race catch can to be installed and it has the PCV block off plate with the barbed fitting for boost line.

Unfortunately the meth controller boost line won't fit over the barbed fitting. I'd rather use this and not cut into a factory line. So what can I do to fix this.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just use a short section of the right size rubber hose for the FR block off barb, then use a brass or plastic adaptor to step the size down for the meth boost reference line.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I ran it last night on the 2nd tune. The one I was having a problem with. And it only bogged down 2 out of about 6 wot runs. I think it might be flooding the spark with meth. I'll try different controller setting and maybe the different nozzle soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I've got finally set right. Right now I'm running it at 10/16-17. Anything lower than that I'd end up flooding the spark at wot in the high rpms at the end of shifts. I think I was just a bit skeptical about running them set so high. Since Torrie originally recommend 8/12. But I got it all tuned up and my final revision for the 87 tune. And I must say I love the gains, the truck pulls some much harder throughout the rpm range.

·
Registered
99 Posts
For those who installed the t-fitting for a boost reference. What kind of hose did yall use. I ended up not being able to use the factory tubing and just using some pretty thick fuel hose. But I'm afraid that I'm having a boost leak around the t-fitting. Trucks not running right again. It sputters under heavy load again. My tuner told me it's running lean under wot. And my spark plugs were awfully black when I checked them. Any ideas??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone make a front mount kit for a snow pump and small 3qt tank? I saw some pics of a couple but couldn't see exactly how they were mounted.

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
For those who installed the t-fitting for a boost reference. What kind of hose did yall use. I ended up not being able to use the factory tubing and just using some pretty thick fuel hose. But I'm afraid that I'm having a boost leak around the t-fitting. Trucks not running right again. It sputters under heavy load again. My tuner told me it's running lean under wot. And my spark plugs were awfully black when I checked them. Any ideas??

I'm not an expert, but I believe black plugs are from running rich or oil in the cylinders.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I believe black plugs are from running rich or oil in the cylinders.

Perhaps you need to have o2 sensors checked out of it's showing lean but running rich. Running rich can cause it to break up. *I think*

·
Registered
99 Posts
Perhaps you need to have o2 sensors checked out of it's showing lean but running rich. Running rich can cause it to break up. *I think*

I may need to check my o2's. But I realized the problem was when data logging, my fuel rear pressure dips too low when the load is high. Check out my thread I started. I know it's not running right but unsure of what the problem is

·
Registered
89 Posts
Know this is old, but what size nozzles are you running. for a 2.3l turbo we would run DO5 and DO7 up to 400hp the smaller the nozzle the better the atomization you will have. if your thinking that you flooding the plugs, look into adding a second nozzle and running 2 of a smaller size. ( this is just experience with a different turbo motor and what worked with it)

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
So if you could only get one out of an Intercooler, a downpipe or meth injection, Meth Injection would be the best option of the three?

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
Really depends who you ask. Some folks say it's the cat's meow, some say run from it and run fast.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Really depends who you ask. Some folks say it's the cat's meow, some say run from it and run fast.

I'm not one to run from meth injection as I've used it before with much success. I'm just wondering, on this platform, if you had to choose the best bang for buck - would it be the intercooler, a downpipe or the meth injection?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I'm not one to run from meth injection as I've used it before with much success. I'm just wondering, on this platform, if you had to choose the best bang for buck - would it be the intercooler, a downpipe or the meth injection?
Methanol can compensate for an Intercooler and it can cool the intake charge even more than an Intercooler ...

As you know, the amount of power you get from methanol depends on the concentration of the mixture.

Methanol is like NOx, the party is over, when you run out of it. While if you make power with parts (and the parts are working properly) you will not have to worry about running out.

That is why some guys will add methanol FIRST (before any other parts) and others LAST (after they have added all the parts they can). It is whatever YOUR personal preference is ... not OTHERS.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Is an intercooler the same thing as a CAC? I think it is but get confused easily...
Yes. CAC is a "Charge Air Cooler". The link below gives you a great description of the various types.

What is interesting, in the old days when aircraft had multiple stages of air compression, the term "Intercooler" was the cooler between various stages of air compressors, with the final stage prior to the engine being the "aftercooler". But for modern automotive use, with only a single cooler, the term CAC is "technically" a better term as there is no discreet "Intercooler" and "Aftercooler".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercooler

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I'm just gonna invest in the methanol injection first. Since each mod I'm looking at is roughly the same cost, I think the best benefit is methanol injection.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. Great information on the Wiki page too.

I'm installing the Snow Performance kit on my 2017 in the next few weeks. I just installed tunes from 5 Star. I likely won't tune tune it any hotter after getting the meth kit installed so if the pump fails, it won't damage the motor. I realize I may be leaving some HP on the table but considering the thing has less than 2,000 miles on it, I want to ease into things gently... :)

I'm hoping with the meth kit, I can keep the stock CAC but we'll see if I need to upgrade it. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Purchased Snow Performance's Stage 3 kit. It was also recommended by my tuner to just go meth. Hopefully I'll have it and then install it within a week... hopefully.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts
About this Discussion
103 Replies
25 Participants
Gremlin85
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing