F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Any ideas why my methanol injection is causing my truck to bog down when it's getting injected. I'm running a 50/50 mix with the biggest nozzle snow perf has which I think is 625ml. I have it set to half [email protected] and full spray @12.
Which snow kit do you have ,? I have the big dual nozzle kit,although I had huge issues with it thanks to LET selling it to me,& then almost burning my truck down with it & it never worked correctly it empty the whole tank in about 15 miles..
i even called snow & they couldn't figure out what mess they made of the install..

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Purchased Snow Performance's Stage 3 kit. It was also recommended by my tuner to just go meth. Hopefully I'll have it and then install it within a week... hopefully.
Let me know how it works,mine never worked correctly & is just sitting on the truck unplugged..so much for their BS about 80tq & 50 hp gain,lol..

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Let me know how it works,mine never worked correctly & is just sitting on the truck unplugged..so much for their BS about 80tq & 50 hp gain,lol..
Will do. Seller is shipping the kit today so I should have it installed next week or next weekend.

Why hasn't yours worked properly? What's going on with it?

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
Will do. Seller is shipping the kit today so I should have it installed next week or next weekend.

Why hasn't yours worked properly? What's going on with it?
+1. What's up. They are pretty simple. A boost reference to the switch and a meth line from the pump to the injection site. The basic system is very simple. The wiring is simple, etc. Sometimes finding the correct boost reference or having your injection site set up perfectly can cause problems. What issues exactly have you had?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I finished the Snow Performance Stage 3 install (took 8 hours) and it's up and running. I just need to datalog it to see how it's working and how it is helping. I'm running basic blue washer fluid as a substitute for right now while I dial the controller in to my specific needs. I'll then switch to Boost Juice (49/51 mix) and possibly tune for it as well.

What took so long was figuring where I was going to mount everything and then lengthen all the wires to reach where they needed to go. I soldered them so it was done right. I want to neaten up my wiring and paint my mounting brackets I made, but otherwise it's a fully working kit.

Here are some pictures. Willing for questions if there are any.

20170807_083655.jpg
20170807_083650.jpg
20170806_141946.jpg
20170806_141550.jpg
20170806_141443.jpg

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
What's there to miss. I'm reading correct boost on the controller according to my sct boost reading as well. All wires to the pump are correct. I used the snow plastic mounting piece for the nozzle right before the TB. I'll attach a picture. I like 90% sure the Meth system is working properly. Any other ideas of what I could've missed. View attachment 87809 View attachment 87817

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
wonder if those glued in nozzles ever leak due to Pressure

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
If you look at the picture of his nozzle instead of using a TB spacer I guess that kit comes with a adapter that glued into the air intake for the nozzle to attached to..
i was just thinking out loud about boost pressure leaking out of it.?..the ones I had before on another vehicle it was screwed into the air tube & sealed with a Orings on each side..

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
I can't see the pictures. I imagine it's the sandwich bung that is added to a silicone coupler? If so it isn't glued in. It has a flange and a nut and sandwiches in there. Seals up nice.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I finished the Snow Performance Stage 3 install (took 8 hours) and it's up and running. I just need to datalog it to see how it's working and how it is helping. I'm running basic blue washer fluid as a substitute for right now while I dial the controller in to my specific needs. I'll then switch to Boost Juice (49/51 mix) and possibly tune for it as well.

What took so long was figuring where I was going to mount everything and then lengthen all the wires to reach where they needed to go. I soldered them so it was done right. I want to neaten up my wiring and paint my mounting brackets I made, but otherwise it's a fully working kit.

Here are some pictures. Willing for questions if there are any.

View attachment 108666
View attachment 108674
View attachment 108682
View attachment 108690
View attachment 108698
So how did it work out ? Mine still a POS ,LOL I KNOW LET's third time trying to hook up a 12v power source the fools used the a brake relay ,now the controller activates even if it's KOEO and I touch the brakes..
the high /low nozzles could be switched but even at cruise in vacuum to 1 psi it still dumps meth and goes through a tank in 15miles..
i told them 3 times what they did wrong and still didn't fix it,I would but it's a little hard from a wheelchair..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
So how did it work out ? Mine still a POS ,LOL I KNOW LET's third time trying to hook up a 12v power source the fools used the a brake relay ,now the controller activates even if it's KOEO and I touch the brakes..
the high /low nozzles could be switched but even at cruise in vacuum to 1 psi it still dumps meth and goes through a tank in 15miles..
i told them 3 times what they did wrong and still didn't fix it,I would but it's a little hard from a wheelchair..
Sounds like a wiring nightmare to me.

Mine came out perfectly. Works as it should. No siphoning of meth and I programmed it to come on as I saw it should. The instructions didn't come complete on how to wire both solenoids which is where some confusion can occur. The first solenoid should be wired to the positive wire to the pump and then grounded. The other solenoid is the power solenoid and comes on under full boost and fuel duty that you set - it should be wired to the green wire from the control unit and then ground.

My positive wire to the unit is tapped into a key-on fuse in the passenger kick panel. I grounded it right under the dash at the bracing to the center console. I had to lengthen all my wires so I soldered everything. The only things that are not soldered is the grounds, the key-on fuse tap and the splice into the pump power wire from the first solenoid.

I'm not sure what LET did to your setup.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
What do you do with the injector pulse input? (Or whatever it is)

There were detailed instructions on that in the kit. They shouldn't have messed that up unless they were too lazy to make sure they had the correct wire in the wiring harness.

The blue wire from the control unit attaches to the signal wire at the computer harness in the engine bay. I un-clipped the far left connector of the harness to the ECU, I then followed the instructions on which wire I was looking for. I took off the electrical tape and removed the plastic cover of the connector using a flathead screw driver. This was tedious as I did not know how to remove it. I just logically looked for the 2 plastic tabs on top and separated them and pushed the cover off. I then removed the rest of the electrical tape to let me move the wires around easier. I located #35 pin according to the instructions and it described a blue/brown wire. It was the 5th one in on its row of pins. I traced it back far enough to tap into it using a posi-tap.

I got it on the first try and it works as it should. I get a readout on the controller of how much injector duty it reads in %. At idle when warm its 17%, crusing is anywhere from 20%-30% depending on how flat the road is. Under WOT I don't see more than 60-70%.

Here is where it said the wire is. It's hard, but you have to follow it back from that pin. You can easily confuse other wires if you don't trace it back. I found the row of wires, counted the fifth one over and bam, there it was.
pin location.jpg
Locate the blue/brown wire located at terminal #35. Trace this wire away from the plug slightly, and use the supplied wire splice to connect the blue harness wire to the fuel rail pressure signal.

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
What I mean is more like, tuning wise. What do you do with that when setting it up? What does the controller look for from the truck, and what does it do in response with spray?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
The controller lets you set up when it kicks on the first injector using the first solenoid depending on how much boost and fuel duty it reads. You calibrate when it kicks on by the controller so the possibilities are only limited by your vehicle. I have mine start at 11 PSI and go full on stage 1 by 15 psi. The fuel reference wire controls the unit for when you need that second injector to kick in using the second solenoid which is hooked up to the green wire. This is the "Power Injector" and "Power Solenoid". This kicks on however you determine as well. My setup has it start at 15PSI and go full at about 18PSI.

The controller gives you the option to use boost only, fuel duty only or both. It specifically instructs you to set it to both on the 3.5L Ecoboost. I then set up the % that it needs to see to make it kick on full power. I set min to 69%.

I'm still in testing phases with this to calibrate when I want it to kick on and when I want the second injector to kick in as well. I am changing my settings to make it progressive from 11PSI up. I just need to find the best balance between the boost reference and the fuel injector duty to maximize the system.

Once I get it how I want it, then I will get it tuned to the methanol and see how much timing and boost I can safely run with it.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Which snow kit do you have ,? I have the big dual nozzle kit,although I had huge issues with it thanks to LET selling it to me,& then almost burning my truck down with it & it never worked correctly it empty the whole tank in about 15 miles..
i even called snow & they couldn't figure out what mess they made of the install..
Sorry I never got back at you. I'm running the stage 2 kit single nozzle. Damn sounds like alot of problems maybe it was the controller unit itself messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
The controller lets you set up when it kicks on the first injector using the first solenoid depending on how much boost and fuel duty it reads. You calibrate when it kicks on by the controller so the possibilities are only limited by your vehicle. I have mine start at 11 PSI and go full on stage 1 by 15 psi. The fuel reference wire controls the unit for when you need that second injector to kick in using the second solenoid which is hooked up to the green wire. This is the "Power Injector" and "Power Solenoid". This kicks on however you determine as well. My setup has it start at 15PSI and go full at about 18PSI.

The controller gives you the option to use boost only, fuel duty only or both. It specifically instructs you to set it to both on the 3.5L Ecoboost. I then set up the % that it needs to see to make it kick on full power. I set min to 69%.

I'm still in testing phases with this to calibrate when I want it to kick on and when I want the second injector to kick in as well. I am changing my settings to make it progressive from 11PSI up. I just need to find the best balance between the boost reference and the fuel injector duty to maximize the system.

Once I get it how I want it, then I will get it tuned to the methanol and see how much timing and boost I can safely run with it.

I hope this helps.
Sounds almost like you got the generic ecoboost system.:because mine doesn't or didn't need any wires cut it was all plug & play infact it had extra length built in..all the issues started when the morons didn't know what to do with the 12v power wire that was meant to be connected to the 12v Ignition fuse on the side panel but I already had 3 other accessories connected there so they wired it wrong,how who knows those guys were just morons at that shop.:

Anyway it's a pretty cool system if it works right,I was one of the first to purchase it when it went on sale for the ecoboost F150 As the Guinea pig ..I guess ERIC was just a moron..I could of installed it blindfolded if I wasn't in a wheelchair ..I even gave them instructing & snows number.lol..:
anyway hopefully one day I'm going to find someone who has some electrical knowledge & use their hands to help me fix it at the house..I'm thinking of getting a lift installed in my garage so I can work on my stuff..
just need to sell off the closet full of Ar10's/Ar15's I purchased new as a package deal so I could get the two rifles I wanted without paying full pop..
glad it's worked out for you enjoy..
want to drive to Bryan ,lol
i was going to ask jerry to look at it but he won't work on meth kits..

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I'm feeling like I might take my 7 month old Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth kit off and go back to completely stock on my truck. Would anyone be interested in purchasing it off me? If not, I might just leave it on there.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I'm feeling like I might take my 7 month old Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth kit off and go back to completely stock on my truck. Would anyone be interested in purchasing it off me? If not, I might just leave it on there.
Curious as to why you want to take it off?

I have had a few of these set ups on my turbo trucks and all have seen a gain with it. I might be interested

·
Registered
940 Posts
I know that Snow meth is one of the best brands. Many many ford guys run it.

If it were me, I would buy a brand new kit. That way you know you are getting a brand new pump and kit. You don't want it failing on you. Hell brand new they are like $700. That's a small dime in the bucket for power.

Meth is ****ing awesome. Prevents detonation and allows more boost and timing. Just don't get greedy with it. You want all safety features in place. Best bet is to just use it to cool the IATs. You play with fire once you dick with the timing and the boost.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts
About this Discussion
103 Replies
25 Participants
Gremlin85
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing