F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I know similar threads have been discussed at length, and please excuse my ignorance as I'm a newbie.

I've looked at the reviews of all the custom tunes and I currently have the 87 perf/tow tune from 5* installed. But I'm looking for something specific and wondering if something like this is possible. Bottom line, I'd like the best of both worlds.

Here a the requirements on my wish list. I have a Tremor (which has 4.10 gears).

1. I usually personally throw 91 octane in the tank but the wife also often drives the truck and will put 87 in it,so I'd like something that is totally safe running on 87.

2. I'd like to improve fuel economy around town when I'm light on the throttle (say less than 25% throttle) and when I'm cruising on the hwy. Note, as stated above, I have 4.10 gears so it hums along at 2100 rpms when doing 110 kms/hr.

3. When I get on it, (above 25% throttle) that's when I'd like it to really wake up and turn into an absolute snarly beast!!

My current mods are just a AFE stage 2 intake and a custom 3 inch catback.

Who might be able to develop something like the above? Is it possible? I'm hoping to get feedback from some of the tuners here too... I'm sure there'd be a large audience for something like this.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Have you asked 5* to do this for you?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you asked 5* to do this for you?
Haven't yet. Hoping to get feedback about all tuners before askng one specific company to develop it. I have no loyalty to anyone specifically and would like to get this done (if possible) by the best of the best (who can keep it absolutely safe with no knocking)

·
Registered
346 Posts
To add to Raiderfan's comment, all custom tuners out there have ability to meet these requests to a large extent. If 5* is not willing to do it, find a tuner you feel can work with you, get an 87 octane performance tune, and be ready to do a lot of tweaking. There's one or two tuners that offer what I would characterize a complete custom tune. I also have a tune from a less known company that has those characteristics in a pre-made tune.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Well me personally all the tuners on the market will custom make you a tune, I would pick an sct device for sure, that way you can get different ones, I've only tried one 87 tune and that was SSI, felt good but as soon as the dealer gas emptied out I was running 93. But the way your describing what you want specifically, maybe unleashed would suit you. That's kinda how their tunes come from Torrie, I'll warn you he's not big into talking or emailing a lot but is very fast on revisions and giving you what you want. He will ask for a datalog and work with you from there. Me personally if I had the tremor I would go with SSI, but that's me. Or you could buy them all and compare, that will give you the best option for what your looking for.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Most tuners will cater to what you want. An 87 oct snarly beast tune is a stretch. SSI, Unleashed and MPT will probably tune a little more aggressively. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I agree with cbvet, Unleashed I think will fit the bill for what you're describing. His tunes run very stock like for the first 1/2 throttle, after that they really come on. Shifting tends to be harsh right out of the gate from him as well, he'll dial that down if you ask. I asked for more tip and I got it, still needs more yet, but I was at a standstill for logging the tune until today. (Damn winter weather) Most important thing you can do its communicate with him what you want

·
Registered
51 Posts
As stated, Unleashed Tuning should be able to take care of you. Torrie has my 2013 F150 Ecoboost running like a champ. Great driveability and powerful at WOT. He asks for datalogs and when I forward them to him, he takes no longer than 24hrs to get back to you. I can't complain about that. I believe he has been tuning the Ecoboost platform since 2009. What I am getting at is, that he has lot's of experience. That's important to me.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, since are naming of suggestions for tunes, despite running MPT myself, I think Unleashed will probably be your best bet for a fully custom tune. If you're willing to try a semi-custom tune, try LaMotta Performance 87 octane tune. Off the shelf, it has what you're looking for, BUT (and that's the case with most safe 87 calibrations) you may not be getting the snarling beast that you really want up top. Their tune is pretty linear. If anyone questions their experience or lack of name recognition in the tuner community, the tune is written by a former SCT/current Superchips and Edge Tuning pro.

·
Registered
346 Posts
As stated, Unleashed Tuning should be able to take care of you. Torrie has my 2013 F150 Ecoboost running like a champ. Great driveability and powerful at WOT. He asks for datalogs and when I forward them to him, he takes no longer than 24hrs to get back to you. I can't complain about that. I believe he has been tuning the Ecoboost platform since 2009. What I am getting at is, that he has lot's of experience. That's important to me.

Good luck with your choice.
I have to second that review, although not from firsthand experience yet. Torrie has tuned my brother-in-law's ST.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have tunes from Torrie as well. I had him work primarily on my race gas tune. I was doing logs and emailing back and forth at midnight. Over the course of a couple nights he dialed this tune in perfectly. Too bad my track is closed.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm pretty sure Torrie is a robot, I don't think the man sleeps.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Does he go by "Buster" on that show?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Lmao.

No, but I did get to see him face plant trying to jump a red rider wagon on a bicycle....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the feedback. I've emailed Torrie & he's makin one up fo me, I'll let you know how it works out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts