F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I can’t understand what it is, but my image doesn’t show, only its label. Does anyone have the same problem?
Are you on Tapatalk?
If so a lot of features aren't working now since the update. Mine is all kinds of funky

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Yea I noticed images are way too big and not resizing properly @admin please fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Guys, don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am in a similar position as OP, and have a few specific noob questions I haven't found easy answers to in the hundred of tune threads on this or other forum's and don't want to necessarily start ANOTHER tune thread...

I am looking for a tuner that will also download my original OEM tune if I choose/want to go back to stock for any reason. Is the SCT one of the only ones that does that? The DiabloSport tuner I was considering with canned tunes doesn't appear to offer that in the product description... I am looking to tune and be done, not to attach it to dash or use it frequently, so any recommendations welcome!

I am considering a custom tune rather than canned by likely one of the people mentioned in this thread. Assuming I am about $300-$400 for the tuner depending on which route I go, could someone ballpark what the approximate cost is on a custom tune? I have no concept of how much that would cost, and trying to get a ballpark for all in cost! The tune would likely be a 91 octane on a stock 15 2.7...

Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Both of the main tuners will do that. SCT / Bully Dog and nGauge. I chose nGauge. I got mine from BCB along with BCB's included adaptive octane tunes (NOT a canned tune that came with the device (SCT / Bully Dog), but also not a "custom" tune since they are built for a platform (e.g. 2018 3.5L Ecoboost) instead of a specific truck (e.g. YOUR truck) and do not offer datalogging and revisions). A custom tune from BCB can be added to the tuner purchase for $125 more. These would be for your specific truck and customized over time through datalogging and revisions until it's dialed-in. I'm currently in that process right now as I have my original custom tune loaded, but have yet to datalog and get a revision at this point (due to consistent rainy weather in my area).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for that! That might be a good way to go, and the nGauge looks small enough that I might not mind mounting it and it wouldn't take up much real estate!

Noob question, but I assume that if I did go with either tuner, someone like say BoostKing would be able to custom design a tune and it wouldn't matter what my device was that I am loading it into the truck on? Or does that make a difference somewhere in software type, compatibility, etc?

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
I could be wrong but I think Boostking is going to require an SCT device?

Ngauge is an HPT device

(Think of it as 2 different development environments. A software programmer can use either environment, but they usually choose 1 and then spend years mastering it)

I could be making some erroneous assumptions, of course. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would assume that Boost King is going to require you to be using an SCT device.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks guys, good to know! Last night I actually did some searching locally, and have a lead on a SCT X4 7015 that is gently used and unpaired for $250, so I think I am going to go that route. He wasn't too familiar with it as he just used it on his 13 F150 once and is now selling the truck as stock. Would it still come with pre-canned tunes from the manufacturer? This is the same model number that would work with my truck per research, but not sure if it would come with tunes for every type of vehicle it supports, or if I would definitely need to get a custom tune for it as it would likely come blank? Thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thanks guys, good to know! Last night I actually did some searching locally, and have a lead on a SCT X4 7015 that is gently used and unpaired for $250, so I think I am going to go that route. He wasn't too familiar with it as he just used it on his 13 F150 once and is now selling the truck as stock. Would it still come with pre-canned tunes from the manufacturer? This is the same model number that would work with my truck per research, but not sure if it would come with tunes for every type of vehicle it supports, or if I would definitely need to get a custom tune for it as it would likely come blank? Thanks again for the advice
Just make sure it isn’t married to the truck still. It will come with canned tunes. You should update the device to get the latest revisions per the manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Just a friendly heads up to at least be aware of, at the very least a couple times a week I see people having issues with their sct devices, mainly x4 but also a couple others.
Not to stear you away from one but definitely good thing to keep in mind.
I personally couldn't in good conscience recommend one after all the post after post I see with people having issues on the couple pages I admin.
With that being said it seems to be the newer year trucks that have been having the issue and of course there's people who've had no issues.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Just came across my very first 91 performance tune 5 star sent me for this 2019, zero revisions.. Look at those miles my truck was just a baby..
Lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a friendly heads up to at least be aware of, at the very least a couple times a week I see people having issues with their sct devices, mainly x4 but also a couple others.
Not to stear you away from one but definitely good thing to keep in mind.
I personally couldn't in good conscience recommend one after all the post after post I see with people having issues on the couple pages I admin.
With that being said it seems to be the newer year trucks that have been having the issue and of course there's people who've had no issues.

Good to know at least! Is there a general consensus on what the issues seem to be? I am really just planning on using it very infrequently only to load a tune and maybe occasionally check a CEL in mine or wifes vehicle... Are the people who post issues frequent "super users", or is there no real consistency of problem?

Awesome run to 60 on that tune though! That is the canned 91 5star tune that comes with tuner?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Good to know at least! Is there a general consensus on what the issues seem to be? I am really just planning on using it very infrequently only to load a tune and maybe occasionally check a CEL in mine or wifes vehicle... Are the people who post issues frequent "super users", or is there no real consistency of problem?

Awesome run to 60 on that tune though! That is the canned 91 5star tune that comes with tuner?
There's no such thing as canned 5-star Tunes, they are custom, that is a video of my custom 5 star tune that I downloaded onto my ngauge.

As far as the issues it seems to be software-related, some people can't return the vehicle back to stock and have to get a hold of SCT among other things such as freezing and whatnot when loading a tune

·
Registered
146 Posts
Canned tunes come with the device written by SCT (Boost King, actually).

Then there are tunes that are written by aftermarket tuners, like 5*, BCB, or Gearhead. Those come in multiple flavors, including: 1. Adaptive octane tunes from BCB or Gearhead that are platform-specific, but are not meant to be datalogged and revised. 2. Custom tunes from BCB or 5* that are octane-specific and are refined over time by datalogging and revisions.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
* 5 Star also offers adjustable octane tunes as well.
Just FYI.
That's what I tow with, works awesome.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
* 5 Star also offers adjustable octane tunes as well.
Just FYI.
That's what I tow with, works awesome.

I absolutely agree Sirike!
In fact... a tow heavy 😉 variable octane is the last 5* tow tune I ran and it worked perfect....no need for any revisions to it!
5* rocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good to know guys! Assuming all goes well with the purchase, I will probably load the SCT canned 91 tune to see how it feels, and see if I think a custom 5* tune would be an improvement/worth the money. I really don't tow very much, maybe twice a year, but I do like the idea of an Octane Adjustable tune in the event I don't get 91. I have been for the last year with how low gas prices are in general, but if it creeps up again someday, tough call!

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Good to know guys! Assuming all goes well with the purchase, I will probably load the SCT canned 91 tune to see how it feels, and see if I think a custom 5* tune would be an improvement/worth the money. I really don't tow very much, maybe twice a year, but I do like the idea of an Octane Adjustable tune in the event I don't get 91. I have been for the last year with how low gas prices are in general, but if it creeps up again someday, tough call!
Why pay the bill for the tuner and not invest an additional $150 for the tune?

That $150 is arguably the BIGGEST ROI of any upgrade you can possibly do to an Ecoboost.

You won't regret it. I don't think anyone EVER has stated that they have

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
20 Participants
Drew3419
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing