F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
* 5 Star also offers adjustable octane tunes as well.
Just FYI.
That's what I tow with, works awesome.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Do you datalog / revise the 5* adaptive octane tune, or is that one a take it as it comes?
Why pay the bill for the tuner and not invest an additional $150 for the tune?

That $150 is arguably the BIGGEST ROI of any upgrade you can possibly do to an Ecoboost.

You won't regret it. I don't think anyone EVER has stated that they have

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Agree. And for a REALLY good ROI, get the tuner from BCB and get their adaptive octane performance and tow tunes for FREE! Their Highlander tune is really great.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Do you datalog / revise the 5* adaptive octane tune, or is that one a take it as it comes?

Agree. And for a REALLY good ROI, get the tuner from BCB and get their adaptive octane performance and tow tunes for FREE! Their Highlander tune is really great.
I datalog everything.. because I'm a freak like that. But there is no need to unless you want something changed. I did it because I wanted to get the full potential out of 87 fuel since that would be the loss I would be running of course.

I'm kind of a weirdo though, a big part of the fun for myself is doing data logs and getting revisions

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yet... Drew you can always fill out their "tune sheet" on their website and or call them and tell them what you want tweaked in your tune!
It's a Beautiful Thing! 👍
Got ya. I know that BCB's and Gearhead's adaptive tunes are more take it as it comes (unless there's a specific problem that needs researching). My Highlander from BCB was just right straight out the gate.

I just sent in my datalogs for my custom BCB 93 Performance this afternoon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why pay the bill for the tuner and not invest an additional $150 for the tune?

That $150 is arguably the BIGGEST ROI of any upgrade you can possibly do to an Ecoboost.

You won't regret it. I don't think anyone EVER has stated that they have

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Maybe I mis-read something earlier, but is it not even worth trying out the canned 91 tune that the SCT unit would come with? Are we saying that they are just junk out of the box and I should move straight to a custom tune? No problem if so, but just trying to get my facts straight! Definitely don't mind the extra $150 on a custom tune if it is leaps and bounds above canned...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Maybe I mis-read something earlier, but is it not even worth trying out the canned 91 tune that the SCT unit would come with? Are we saying that they are just junk out of the box and I should move straight to a custom tune? No problem if so, but just trying to get my facts straight! Definitely don't mind the extra $150 on a custom tune if it is leaps and bounds above canned...
I personally would not spend the money on the tuner and only use the canned tunes. And if I were going to get some custom tunes, I'd buy them with the tuner because they're usually cheaper that way. Also, if you buy from BCB, you get the Highlander and MacGyver tunes for free! It was a no-brainer for me. And now I'm going through the datalogging and revision process on my Custom 93 Performance tune. I also got the nGauge rather than the SCT device.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Yeah as mentioned price and best bang wise it's just better to buy it from a custom tuning company. Pretty much all of them include a few tunes on the device as well, such as 5 star, and then only $10 each to add additional Tunes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Evening guys, so I have the X4 now in my possession, and waiting on my e-mail tunes from 5*, should be getting them tomorrow or Tuesday, super pumped. Went with the 91 P/T and 93P just so I can compare them to see if I can tell a big difference in the 93...

Question for you guys because you mentioned some issues with the X4, and people having complaints about things it would do loading tunes, etc. The person I bought it from used it once to load a tune, and never touched it again until he removed the tune and sold his truck. The firmware version is 1.1.1.6 build 89. Does that mean anything to anyone as far as reliability of version? Is it the current? Should I update it, or leave it as is assuming this is an older version and maybe its the newer versions that are failing people? I've been burned by bad updates in other software related things, so thought I would pose the question before I just went ahead and updated it... Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Installed my 5* 91 PT tune last night and of course it was raining, and slick on the roads this morning... I got to really test it out tonight, and must say I am initially impressed! I can definitely feel it on the low end, and it's improved that "laggyness" in some of the lower gears at sub 40 mph. Excited to try it at passing speeds on a road trip, but that might be a while... I have heard that these tunes get progressively better between 0-400 miles, so we'll see if any adjustments are needed after that, but so far pretty impressed.

One thing I was going to ask if anyone experiences in their Ecoboosts, and this happened some before the tune, was that sometimes on a aggressive 0-60 run, in first gear at WOT, ill get a little vibration from what I can only assume is the actual engine, maybe turbos?, really dont know exactly. Sometimes it doesn't do it, and I know im not describing it perfectly, but does anyone else get this slight vibration at hard acceleration too? Mine is a 2015 2.7...

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I never had what you're describing with my old 2017 2.7

·
Registered
146 Posts
Evening guys, so I have the X4 now in my possession, and waiting on my e-mail tunes from 5*, should be getting them tomorrow or Tuesday, super pumped. Went with the 91 P/T and 93P just so I can compare them to see if I can tell a big difference in the 93...

Question for you guys because you mentioned some issues with the X4, and people having complaints about things it would do loading tunes, etc. The person I bought it from used it once to load a tune, and never touched it again until he removed the tune and sold his truck. The firmware version is 1.1.1.6 build 89. Does that mean anything to anyone as far as reliability of version? Is it the current? Should I update it, or leave it as is assuming this is an older version and maybe its the newer versions that are failing people? I've been burned by bad updates in other software related things, so thought I would pose the question before I just went ahead and updated it... Thanks!
I have no idea, but a great question for 5 Star. Good luck!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
20 Participants
Drew3419
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing