F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m lucky enough to get to try out the cvf intercooler piping for the 15+ 3.5, the piping is made of aluminum and powder coated also has a bung for a methanol nozzle. Comes with new couplers and clamps. Before you say what about heat soak, I have had them on for little over a week and haven’t noticed any higher intake temps.
Now on to the install took me a little under two hours with a couple handle tools and taking pictures along the way. Only part I had trouble with was taking the driver side stock piping out, had to twist and turn a bunch to get it to slide out through the top. The cvf piping fit great and ran in the stock piping location, the driver side is a two piece design which makes install way easier.
The piping will be available soon on the cvf website.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Heat soak on the hot side is a none issue. Its like 300F at full bore and if anything is giving off heat.

On the cold side you can always just put some insulation wrap on it if its that big of a deal. It does sit right behind the radiator so im sure its getting hit with some "warm" air.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Heat soak on the hot side is a none issue. Its like 300F at full bore and if anything is giving off heat.

On the cold side you can always just put some insulation wrap on it if its that big of a deal. It does sit right behind the radiator so im sure its getting hit with some "warm" air.
Did just that and see a 5 degree drop in IIAT2 's.

Plain HVAC aluminum backed foam rubber insulation, 2 layers. KM

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Did just that and see a 5 degree drop in IIAT2 's. View attachment 164599
Plain HVAC aluminum backed foam rubber insulation, 2 layers. KM
I tend to think that the IAT's get a little whacky simply because of heat soak. If you are standing on the gas the ECT's go up then the radiator is dumping some heat into the engine bay. Combine that with the proximity of the manifold to the hot metal engine and I don't see how the IAT's wouldnt move. I know my Jeep, which runs an almost Identical Bosch MAP sensor has this issue. I put my own IAT sensor in the cold side tube just before the manifold and under high load it usually reads 20 degrees lower than the MAP sensor does over OBDII.

In my jeeps case, it will start cutting boost back above 40°C, which is very easy to hit on the MAP sensor.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My IAT2 is recorded over a 5 mile drive on a local bypass at 55 MPH and I keep note of ambient for comparison (ah the joys of being retired). The 5 degree drop was very consistent compared to insulated, and I was looking for some heat soak. Anyway that's what I got for that. Also recorded slightly more than 5 more degree drop by removing the engine cover. Between these 2 cheap intake mods my IAT2's dropped over 10 degrees. Graph of about a minute and a half time CC at 55, the IAT is reverse of boost, guess that's due to slight airflow increase due to transition from vac to boost ambient temp 80 degrees 51% humidity, with insulation and cover removed. Understand that steady MPH is quite different from acc testing, but is esier to maintain consistancy. I do have a CVF Titan waiting to go in. As to the OP I'm more interested in temp. control feeling my 2.7 will not denefit from added air flow, Would certainly consider piping made of silicon to minimize heat transfer and retention. KM

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
butthead, I'm jealous.

I thought I was blessed with having time to do whatever fancies me most days. I think you got me beat.

This time of year IAT's are in my favor and the truck is happy throwing timing my way. But it's just the opposite around June.

Keep working at this! I might follow your lead to get 10 degrees when 10 degrees is precious. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'd love to see this done with the aftermarket intercooler in there. Seems like you're getting a quick turnaround in temperature from the pressure drop on the stock IC? I would have expected this to be a much more gradual transition.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Will add another graph with the CFV Titan, it's just not needed up here till April. For what it worth I also tried to insulate the air box and upper pipes to the turbos, no or very little change. It all came with the post CAC to manifold and removal of the cover. An interesting thing on the graph and other logs I have is how the boost leads the IAT2's by just a bit consistently both up and down. Something else to point out I removed the CAC air block vanes right after I purchased the truck but that also steadied out the IAT2 graph by quite a bit lowering the number of rising and falling temps.

snakebitten, yes life is great! If I'm not messing with the truck it's camping, historic road races, canoeing, target shooting, driving across the country especially in the mountains, lots of things to keep busy and out of my wife's hair! Forgot to mention the grand sons and chasing them around. KM

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Will add another graph with the CFV Titan, it's just not needed up here till April. For what it worth I also tried to insulate the air box and upper pipes to the turbos, no or very little change. It all came with the post CAC to manifold and removal of the cover. An interesting thing on the graph and other logs I have is how the boost leads the IAT2's by just a bit consistently both up and down. Something else to point out I removed the CAC air block vanes right after I purchased the truck but that also steadied out the IAT2 graph by quite a bit lowering the number of rising and falling temps.

snakebitten, yes life is great! If I'm not messing with the truck it's camping, historic road races, canoeing, target shooting, driving across the country especially in the mountains, lots of things to keep busy and out of my wife's hair! Forgot to mention the grand sons and chasing them around. KM
Am I reading the graph right in that the IAT's and boost are inversely related? It looks like when the boost goes up the IAT comes down. I notice this on my truck when under light load as well. Cruising along on flat ground it might be 20F above ambient, but then when I roll into the throttle to start climbing a hill, the temps actually drop.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes and the boost drives the temp. change apparently. As boost goes up air velocity does also causing a drop in temps. at least as I look at it. The relationship is really shown when separated and graphed over time. I ran this in cruise control but the load will vary even on a level road surface. The bottom of the graph is time expressed in seconds I believe so the graph represents a bit under 2 minutes at 55 MPH on a straight flat road.
I do my logs either steady cruise on a city bypass or on 4 successive freeway ramps where I can get do 0 to 80 MPH before the merge and slowed to 70 at the merge, these are in the country and durring mid work days when trafic is almost nill.
I see a +- swing of 7 degrees almost 30 seconds apart probably the engine load swings under the cruise control. KM

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
It makes sense to me, however remember this is with a variable rate of air moving across the ic. As you speed up and enter into boost, you're also moving more air through the ic, so there's faster heat dissipation going on as you accelerate. It's not just that the charge air is spending less time in the ic itself. Likewise when you let off the gas, there's a decrease in the air flow across the ic, so it starts loading up heat. This could be improved if it were done at the bench with a constant airflow on the ic under boost, then under idle conditions. Just not practical or easy to setup like this. You might be able to tease this out with the truck moving if you had a way to measure air speed. Lots of variables going on here. I appreciate the data, thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is exciting. Any word on a 2.7L pipe kit? I have the CVF intercooler, but would like some tubes to go with it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It makes sense to me, however remember this is with a variable rate of air moving across the ic. As you speed up and enter into boost, you're also moving more air through the ic, so there's faster heat dissipation going on as you accelerate. It's not just that the charge air is spending less time in the ic itself. Likewise when you let off the gas, there's a decrease in the air flow across the ic, so it starts loading up heat. This could be improved if it were done at the bench with a constant airflow on the ic under boost, then under idle conditions. Just not practical or easy to setup like this. You might be able to tease this out with the truck moving if you had a way to measure air speed. Lots of variables going on here. I appreciate the data, thanks.
The graph is of 100+ seconds at steady 55MPH and with cruise control on.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The graph is of 100+ seconds at steady 55MPH and with cruise control on.
How did you maintain a steady 55 MPH and increase boost without increasing speed? Was this done on a dyno?

Edit:
I think I get it now. It's a hill and you're measuring the engine's response to different loads, right? I was envisioning flat ground here.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It is fairly flat for a SE WI highway. I most always have boost displayed and it will fluctuate up and down with the load changes in CC, even on flat terrain. In fact I choose top gearing to keep this load variation to a minimum. 5th gear at 55MPH on 31.5 tall tires and a 6 speed 3.73 gear, 2000RPM. Here is a Google Earth Image of the Burlington WI bypass. Regular fluctuation from -5 pounds to +1 pound, 6th and 1600RPM gets into higher boost and variation

·
Registered
4 Posts
Butthead,

What exactly did you insulate? your cold pipe? Also, taking the engine cover off also lowered overall heat? I have thought about doing that on my 2012.

I have the CVF pipes on my truck and love them. I'm trying to post my experience but my post got denied or blocked for some reason. Have to figure that out.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I couldn't read the scale on the boost line. -5 to +1 pound really isn't much, but if you look at just the line it looks like it's moving a lot. With such a small measurement I wonder how much standard error there is? I mean is CC set to 55 mph REALLY 55 or does it have some fluctuation to 56, 54? We assume all things being equal here, but I could see a lot more fluctuations in the system, delays in sensor readings, delay in measurements, etc. giving you a similar result. Then again, if same set of variables gave you different numbers with the insulation, cover off, etc. I'm all ears. Anything to improve the shedding of heat is a good thing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have corrected the speedometer to +- .5mph and checked with a gps reading to 0.00. Yes the CC speed can vary more as the road undulates. The load can be graphed and shows the same rise and fall patern as the boost just a bit earlier as it should. The 2 minute time limit is due to the length of relatively flat non-curved local road available where I tested on a city bypass around Burlington WI (small town) with intersections or on off ramps about 2 miles apart.
Butthead,

What exactly did you insulate? your cold pipe? Also, taking the engine cover off also lowered overall heat? I have thought about doing that on my 2012.

I have the CVF pipes on my truck and love them. I'm trying to post my experience but my post got denied or blocked for some reason. Have to figure that out.
The pipe from the CAC/intercooler to the throtle body, made a measured reduction in IAT2. Removing the cover further reduced IAT2 temperatures. The coolant temps did not change to the extent of the guage display.
Insulating the filter/air box, nor the pipes before the turbos made any noticed change in IAT2. I did poke around underhood with an infrared thermometer cover on and off but noticed little change, at least I did not notice any. Need better local weather for more testing.
"post got denied or blocked for some reason", sorry I can't help there. KM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts