F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
First, I’m a GM guy always have. I do own a Focus cause it was the only thing available for what we needed and advise I shouldn’t have followed. Anyway. We have 6.3k lb camper dry, fully loaded (with water) probably 8k I haven’t weighed it on scales yet. I have a 60 mile commute (Focus) looking to get rid of the focus and get a 2500 he, but everyone keeps saying get an eco boost, it will do it and more. Thoughts? I’ve googled and looked and seems to be okay. I have one buddy with one and his heats up pretty good going up a big pass out here in Idaho. But then other say no problem they do the same bill with 9k lbs and other in 95 degree summer weather. Getting anything over 15 mpg and being able to tow our TT would be great seems like a unicorn to me, but everyone points to these trucks. Any advice?

For starters, I don't know any truck that will give you 15 mpg pulling 8k. My 2012 gets about 9 pulling 7k. Ecos have plenty of power and great comfort features, but do realize that they don't get any better mpg than their 5.0 counterparts. You can get more pulling power with the Eco however, and it does well at elevation. Are you looking at New or used? How old?

Used probably 3-4 years old. By 15mpg I meant daily driving. Towing I would expect less.
Eco will out perform any half ton out there when set up properly [emoji1417]. You won’t be disappointed.

I think given your trailer weight you’ll be wanting the 3.5, especially pulling long grades. Research transmission selection and tuning to help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be looking at the second version of the 3.5L if budget allows. I think 2017 was the first year if I recall.

Reactions: FlyingMonkey
I tow heavy for my 2.7 F150 rated for a 7500lb trailer. I tow a Jayco SL220 TH with my 2016 / 4X4 / 2.7 / 6 speed / 3:55's. My CAT scale numbers show my trailer at 8200lbs when fully loaded with 2 Harleys and full fresh water. Truck CAT scales at 5400lbs with a full tank of fuel.
I usually lock out 6th gear and just let the truck do it's thing. I keep my speed around 60mph. No complaints here.
I average 19.5mpg daily driving / 9mpg towing

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Eco will out perform any half ton out there when set up properly [emoji1417]. You won’t be disappointed.

I think given your trailer weight you’ll be wanting the 3.5, especially pulling long grades. Research transmission selection and tuning to help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you say setup properly are you talking about with options or hitch type, load and tongue weight?

There are a lot of 'tow' options with the F150's. They have the standard tow package, max tow package the hd payload package.

Same engine in all of them, but you get some suspension/GVWR upgrades in each package.

I've got a 13 max tow with #7700 GVWR. About #500 more than the standard package. The hd payload package of that generation has a #8200 GVWR.

Can't believe my truck is now 6 years old now!! Still drives like new and still tugging my TT like a champ.

I have added some overload springs and aftermarket brakes and shocks, but all stock otherwise.

I tow a #7000 loaded TT now and switched to premium fuel and have to watch the coolant temp on the long grades, but can manage it easily now.

Any make of truck in the 15 range will tow a #7000 TT. Just pick your poison and go with it! Since this is an Eco forum.. We are going to sell it.. Go to the other make forums, and they will sell those too.

I'm getting around 17 mpg daily driving, up to 20 mpg on straight unloaded hwy and 9-10 mpg towing. No complaints or issues at all, so I'm happy and it has 85,000 miles on it now.

Good luck!

There are a lot of 'tow' options with the F150's. They have the standard tow package, max tow package the hd payload package.

Same engine in all of them, but you get some suspension/GVWR upgrades in each package.

I've got a 13 max tow with #7700 GVWR. About #500 more than the standard package. The hd payload package of that generation has a #8200 GVWR.

Can't believe my truck is now 6 years old now!! Still drives like new and still tugging my TT like a champ.

I have added some overload springs and aftermarket brakes and shocks, but all stock otherwise.

I tow a #7000 loaded TT now and switched to premium fuel and have to watch the coolant temp on the long grades, but can manage it easily now.

Any make of truck in the 15 range will tow a #7000 TT. Just pick your poison and go with it! Since this is an Eco forum.. We are going to sell it.. Go to the other make forums, and they will sell those too.

I'm getting around 17 mpg daily driving, up to 20 mpg on straight unloaded hwy and 9-10 mpg towing. No complaints or issues at all, so I'm happy and it has 85,000 miles on it now.

Good luck!

I've got a '14 model 3.5 Ecoboost and pull a horse trailer regularly and will second what he said. 16-17 mpg daily, 19-21 on the highway unloaded, 9-12 towing my horse trailer.
My truck has the 3.31 rear end ration and I still have no complaints in hills when towing. My horse trailer loaded up with saddles, tack, horses and whatever else I scaled at 7200 lbs, while not as heavy as your camper the wind drag is likely the same, my tractor/loader on a trailer loaded up is near 8500 total weight and still no complaints.

I have 2.7 with 3.55 with max tow. I tow my 4000lb tiny trailer & it seems this is where the 2.7 should stop even though it is rated for 8000lb. Its a very good daily driver I wish I have 3.5 for more power :) Who does not like more power?

I have 2.7 with 3.55 with max tow. I tow my 4000lb tiny trailer & it seems this is where the 2.7 should stop even though it is rated for 8000lb. Its a very good daily driver I wish I have 3.5 for more power :) Who does not like more power?
The 2.7 does not, can not, and will never come with "max tow", nor is a 3.55 2.7 the "maximum towing capable" 2.7. The 2.7 trucks capable of towing the most in that group are the ones that come with the 2.7 payload package (and consequently 3.73 gears).

All that said, I have a '16 2.7 with 3.55 gears and I won't think twice about taking 8,000 lbs or less anywhere. (My camper is 6500-7,000 lbs depending on how we pack) It's a great all around vehicle for me. Fun, economical, and it really does do "work" pretty well. I've towed miscellaneous things from very little up to my maximum rating of 12,600 gvwr, which comes out to about a 7500 lb load. It seems to tow a 4000 lb load the same as it tows a 7,000 lb load. At 3,000 rpms it's just relentless.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Tell em Madmax!

Meaz is the resident 3.5 towing ambassador
Madmax is the same for the 2.7

(Mr. B is poised to raise the bar on Meaz)

Not sure who is carrying the mantle for the Gen2 3.5? So far it appears that the steal trucks are worked harder

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I was kicking around the idea of regearing my truck to 3.73 after I bought my camper. After towing it into the mountains I'm reconsidering. I think it might be a waste unless I also upgraded to the 9.75 rear end, which I'm not willing to pay for. I could always go faster if I wanted to.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

First, I’m a GM guy always have. I do own a Focus cause it was the only thing available for what we needed and advise I shouldn’t have followed. Anyway. We have 6.3k lb camper dry, fully loaded (with water) probably 8k I haven’t weighed it on scales yet. I have a 60 mile commute (Focus) looking to get rid of the focus and get a 2500 he, but everyone keeps saying get an eco boost, it will do it and more. Thoughts? I’ve googled and looked and seems to be okay. I have one buddy with one and his heats up pretty good going up a big pass out here in Idaho. But then other say no problem they do the same bill with 9k lbs and other in 95 degree summer weather. Getting anything over 15 mpg and being able to tow our TT would be great seems like a unicorn to me, but everyone points to these trucks. Any advice?

I have 2016 3.5 ecoboost with heavy duty tow/payload pkg. We've towed our 5th wheel all over the USA with no problems. Very happy. 5th wheel is #9000.
Can I ask what you think your pin weight is?
And since you have the HDPP package, you're actually using the 3.5EB potential.

I'd rather pull 9000 5th than even 6000 off the WDH.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Really like my 3.73 gears for towing.. I just keep it in 5th going on the flats and it's around 2000 rpms going between 60-65 mph. It'll hold 6th at a couple hundred rpm less, but there is more boost going to the engine and that just raises the temps and the mpg's actually go down...

I monitor the boost and temps with a phone app and a ODBII adapter so it really has made a difference in how I tow, especially when I now tow a #2000 heavier TT than I did before.

Also, I tried running premium gas when towing my #5000 TT... didn't see any real difference in mpg or performance..

Towing the #7000 TT, running regular, I was in 3rd gear going up the grades and running hot.. Switched to premium (92 octane) and then next trip over the same pass I was back to cruising in 4th and running about 10 degrees cooler and going about 5 mph faster..

I 'm not tuned at all, so all stock computer wise... Been running the premium on my daily commute and seeing about a 1 mpg improvement overall, so been running the 92 since around September of this year.

Anyway, just my own personal experience so far, so no real test data... Other than my own butt feeling.. ha, ha...

Good luck!

Mitch

We tow a 5th wheel with our super duper awesome HD '13 XLT 3.5 L boost. Been tow n the 5th wheel now for 6 seasons. Truck still 92% stock. Only 53 K. Original suspension, shocks, brakes but fixin to put new shocks & brakes on her. Added an oil separator bout 10,000 mile ago and just install a 5 star tune. Monitor ECT, TFT & Boost w/Edge Insight CTS monitor. Opps forgot, also in the process of replacing all the bulbs inside & out with LEDS so the stockness is slowly dropping.. Still does perty good on mileage...21+ hiway 17 city & 10 ish towing.

Reactions: Mr B
Huh?... Are your trailer brakes dragging or something? My 2.7 with 3:55's yanks my 8000lb toyhauler around without any issues. I believe the 2.7 is more overbuilt and more durable than the 3.5 engine. It's definitely quicker when zipping around town.
The main shortcoming of a 2.7 F150 will be the 8.8" rear axle which is rated on my truck for a 3300lb RAWR. I suspect that rating has more to do with the P rated tires that came on the truck than the axle itself.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the opinions, I know forums aren’t going to give me every answer, but give real world advise and always the one guy who gets pissed cause something broke at the wrong time. So from what I can tell 14 and up are the best years for the 3.5 and 17 and up comes with a not yet proven 10 speed transmission. I’m learning k no it to trust new Ford technology till after three years to have the bugs worked out.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.