F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 F150 FX2 Eco boost with 16k miles on it. I drive in SoCal and have gotten 15.5 mpg since new, according to the on board electronic tracker. Love the truck. It pulls a small trailer loaded with no problem. The ride is very comfortable.

Here’s the problem: there is a serious lag in the throttle response when you need it the most. And, it’s not just the lag; it’s how it kicks in at max power once it does engage that makes it doubly dangerous and frustrating. Let me explain and I hope someone has some productive suggestions on how this can be fixed.

I’m driving along in one lane and need to make a positive lane change. I step on the gas to get it done and there is a lag on a second while the truck’s brain thinks about what the position of the throttle just asked for it to do, calculates the load on the motor, shifts gears to satisfy the load need and then opens the injectors and turbos to full to get the job done. So I go from moving to a stall to a blast in about a second or so. It may not seem like a long time but in traffic it is an eternity. Same kind of thing happens when coming to a quick stop and go situation. I stop, look both ways, and go but the truck has to think about it for a second or two first, then it goes. We recently rented a Ford Escape Eco Boost for a week while on vacation and had the exact same problem.

I have already had it into the dealer to have them check it. They said they replaced a recall sensor and that should clear it up. Nope. I am ready to take it back but wanted to throw it out here to see if anyone has had the same problem or knows how the EFI/Eco Boost/Turbo system works and can explain it to me in a way that I can find a solution on my own. I have to say, my old carbureted truck had better throttle response then this one.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Maybe it's turbo lag? Especially since it happened on two separate turbo models and you had the same issues.

Family First

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Try rolling into the throttle quickly instead of mashing the peddle. It works for me.

SPPD

Reactions: ford4thot

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. You are experiencing turbo lag. And if you've ever driven an older single large turbo setup it would blow your mind.
So, what's the fix? There has to be a way to shorten the lag. Seems like the computer chip is too slow. Even rolling into the throttle doesn't always help if the computer thinks you rolled into it too fast.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Buy a naturally aspirated engine. Tunes will help. But due to the way a turbo operates it does not provide boost all of the time, only under load conditions. When under load, the waste gate closes and boost pressure builds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buy a naturally aspirated engine. Tunes will help. But due to the way a turbo operates it does not provide boost all of the time, only under load conditions. When under load, the waste gate closes and boost pressure builds.
Too late on the engine thing. How will tunes help? Even if I could get it to not kick in so hard it would help. And I am not afraid of the power as I have raced MX for years but in tight traffic situations its just too much too late.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I know what the OP means, and yes, it's mostly a function of turbo lag, possibly coupled a little bit with the way drive by wire works in the first place.

Short of a tune, what you can do is what SPPD suggested, which is just experiment with the way you roll into the pedal and get used to how your truck reacts. Mine does better at around 50-70% throttle as opposed to WOT in situations like you're describing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Work with a custom tuner, they can modify to your delight.
Can a tuner help program the way it shifts too? Part of the lag is also the computer trying to downshift too much as well. For most of what I am looking for, I think if it just stayed in the same gear and just gave me more fuel it would satisfy my needs.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
... Here’s the problem: there is a serious lag in the throttle response when you need it the most. And, it’s not just the lag; it’s how it kicks in at max power once it does engage that makes it doubly dangerous and frustrating. ...
CR2CRF,

If you're planning on letting your dealer take another shot at getting this concern resolved, let me know. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Can a tuner help program the way it shifts too? Part of the lag is also the computer trying to downshift too much as well. For most of what I am looking for, I think if it just stayed in the same gear and just gave me more fuel it would satisfy my needs.
With LET tune , I only have to use 30% of throttle to drive around. Plenty of power no lag.

Sent From Louisiana East Texas

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CR2CRF,

If you're planning on letting your dealer take another shot at getting this concern resolved, let me know. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll see how I can help.

Ashley
Thanks Ashley, I will. I'd much rather get this right working hand in hand with a Ford tech since it's under warranty and because Ford should have seen this issue already and have a data base of info to help. I was actually going to call Ford and ask to speak to engineers and become educated on how the eco boost system works because there has got to be a fix for this that will help out a lot of folks. Especially since my wife wants an Escape Eco but hated the lag we felt there when we rented one for a week.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Perhaps you (op) have a different problem, but my experience has been as others have suggested. I've learned to be a little gentle with the throttle. Mashing it always gets a momentary stall. Quick, but easy snaps my neck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Perhaps you (op) have a different problem, but my experience has been as others have suggested. I've learned to be a little gentle with the throttle. Mashing it always gets a momentary stall. Quick, but easy snaps my neck.
Guys, I'm not Mashing the throttle. It's just simple get up and go stuff. When you drive Los Angeles freeways you have to be quick when you make a move. But I'm not talking about Mashing the throttle.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Guys, I'm not Mashing the throttle. It's just simple get up and go stuff. When you drive Los Angeles freeways you have to be quick when you make a move. But I'm not talking about Mashing the throttle.
I would say move....but then I would sound like a smart-ass......;)

Seriously, try some different throttle up styles until you can get back into the dealer to get checked out. If they don't find anything wrong...TUNE IT!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm interested to hear what Ford finds with your truck. You insinuate that this is probably a widespread issue, but other than an occasional mention here and on other forums of normal, non-dangerous, turbo-lag, I'm not seeing a lot of complaints.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I drive a lot on LA freeways. Never had a problem. I think you need the good driver mod lol

Certified Internet Warrior. I once ctrl alt del'd a man to death.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts