F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put this on my iphone. The app costs $10 on itunes and it displays a bunch of parameters that I probably have no reason to be interested in (but somehow I am). In particular it estimates boost pressure and calculates torque and HP among many other useless facts. Curious if others are running this program? From what I understand Torque is the best program but is not available on iphone.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id321293183

Does anybody know what the actual boost pressure is on a stock truck. The app always shows some positive boost. 7 psi at idle speed and low 20's when you goose it. I thought that the boost pressure was in the low teens on a stock truck.

·
Registered
523 Posts
How does the application on your phone interface to the truck? How does it pull data to display? Bluetooth? Some connector to the OBDII port under the driver side kick panel?

·
Registered
118 Posts
x2 on how does it interface with the truck from iphone

·
Registered
98 Posts
x2 on how does it interface with the truck from iphone
I use DashCommand on my iPhone connecting through a PLX KIWI wifi device that plugs into the OBDII port. They also make a Bluetooth version

2013 SuperCrew XLT XTR Kodiak Brown Ecoboost 145"WB 302A package, Max Tow package

·
Registered
118 Posts
clevernamehere. do you have a link to that device?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Playing with the application some more, I was able to find a number of air pressure measures. I started a log file, took a drive, and goosed the engine a few times to see how it might work or be estimating boost. The log viewer is pretty cool because you can play it back after your run and watch the data from someplace other than the driver's seat (better than watching all this while you are driving), and it also records min, max, and averages for each value that you configure into the log. Test run max values are shows below:

boost presure estimation (by DashCommand) - 25.8 psi
Ford Engine measured boost at throttle inlet pressure sensor - 30.5 psi at max recorded value (14.1 psi at idle)
Ford Engine manifold absolute pressures sensor - 13.9 - This appears to be a a sensor that just sees atmospheric pressure as a reference and did not change during my run
Ford Engine intake manifold absolute pressure - 52.6 "Hg. At idle this was 3.2" Hg (meaning that the engine makes a fair amount vacuum when not in boost)

I'm guessing that boost should be the difference of either the throttle inlet, or intake manifold pressures and atmospheric pressure. Converting all of the measurements to psi and doing the calculations:
throttle inlet difference = 16.6 psi
intake manifold difference = 11.9 psi

Based on Nasty Wendy's comment the intake manifold is probably the correct measure?

The "estimated boost" by DashCommand appears to just convert the intake manifold pressure to psi. If you convert my max intake manifold pressure (52.6 "Hg) you get 25.8 psi which matches the max calculated boost that I had in my log. The program probably assumes that this is a gauge measurement instead of absolute measurement (which includes the 13.9 psi of atmospheric pressure). So long story short, it looks like you need to take take 14 psi off of the DashCommand value and you have actual boost. It would be nice if they calculated it the right way. I filled out their feedback survey and made this suggestion.

Fun program. Haven't been able to rationalize a legitimate use for it yet but I enjoy it. Thinking about setting up a screen to watch boost, instant mpg, knock control spark retard, and transmission temp for towing. The knock retard might tell me the difference between premium and regular gasoline when I tow something heavy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm considering purchasing the DashCommand app to use with my iPhone/iPad Mini. Looking at the website for the company that makes the app, though, they mentioned a $79 add-on for Ford vehicles. Sorry if this question is ignorant, but is the $79 add-on necessary, or will the app work on our trucks without it?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
^^^ wondering this too. Any insight?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
From reading I think the $99.99 add-on is for 2009 and under vehicles.

Can this thing monitor all the things that a SCT Livewire tuner can? Like is this worth the money or effort to get this? I only have have a SCT X3 so I can't see any parameters.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also have the dash command app. 20 dollar wifi adaptor from eBay. 9.99 for the app. You can add a extra list of ford pids which costs an additional 9.99 but is required to read knock. I've been running it for a couple weeks but can't get my hp or tq numbers above 3-4. Lol. The mileage tracker is way off also. Gotta play with it some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Huh.

·
Registered
64 Posts
14.9psi is absolute pressure at sea level. That is what things are based off of, So if the computer is seeing 30psi its only seeing 16psi of boost.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Is this really worth the money?

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is a pretty fun app so far, but I'd love to get the dashboard readings to show correctly, especially with respect to torque and horsepower. Any ideas on how to make this happen?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts