F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a CAI and Scorcher in August and all was awesome until I towed my four place enclosed snowmobile trailer to Munising Michigan 3 weeks ago. On the way home it was 2 below and the engine light came on. I took it to auto zone and found out it was a mass air issue. I immediately put the stock air box back on, removed the scorcher and went to the dealer. They cleared the code and the service manager was nice enough to pull me aside and tell me not to put the aftermarket parts back on!!! I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it. I'm not a mechanic so how did they know I had that stuff installed?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I installed a CAI and Scorcher in August and all was awesome until I towed my four place enclosed snowmobile trailer to Munising Michigan 3 weeks ago. On the way home it was 2 below and the engine light came on. I took it to auto zone and found out it was a mass air issue. I immediately put the stock air box back on, removed the scorcher and went to the dealer. They cleared the code and the service manager was nice enough to pull me aside and tell me not to put the aftermarket parts back on!!! I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it. I'm not a mechanic so how did they know I had that stuff installed?
Good Question! That was one of my worries about getting my truck tuned. What i planned on doing was setting it back to stock then driving it a couple hundred miles before taking it in for service or warranty work. That way the po1000 code will be gone and hopefully they cant tell.

Did you have the aftermarket parts in the truck? Or stickers showing the products on your windows?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. There was nothing that would have tipped them off!!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
No. There was nothing that would have tipped them off!!
The scorcher is a boost fooler... It tricks the truck into running 2 more psi.

You'd be much better off with an actual tune, but the dealer can see the boost history when they plug into it.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
could be they could tell things had been removed and replaced.
Maybe the air box and tubing was cleaner than the rest of the engine?

There's plenty of tell tales if you know what you're looking for, without ever digging into the computer.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
What did the dealer find wrong with the truck? Did they cover the issue under warranty?

SPPD

·
Registered
608 Posts
If they covered it (being a MAF issue) they could have easily voided your warranty if they "knew" you had a CAI. I bet he was blowing smoke.

Sent while enjoying a Pabst

·
Registered
41 Posts
As I understand it, the EB does not even have an MAF sensor (how did they pull a MAF fail code?)

If they were able to read that the turbos boosted more than the should, so be it. Who cares?

The tech' advice to keep the CAI off he truck is valid on, not because it will run something, but because they really haven't been proven to actually do anything positive for the engine (except make more noise).

If you would like to run tune, make sure you get one that is federally approved like the Hypertech tune.

In any case, I wouldn't be too worried about what the dealer techs know/find out.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes please elaborate on this, first of all why would the op waste their money on this scorcher, if you've seen the dyno sheet on this you wouldn't do it, the afr is out of sight, 15. That's just crazy, when you put Walmart tuning devices on your truck then your asking for damage to your vehicle. Edge, hypertech, super chips, afe scorcher, If your gonna spend the money on these why not go with a custom tune that is married to your vehicle and you can datalog it to make sure it's safe.
I'm sure he seen it because there is no way to flash it, next time if it happens try unplugging your battery for 30 min. Then take it in. I've had both turbos replaced and I'm friends with my service guy and he said he couldn't find anything saying I had a tune on it. Or if you put your stock air box back in throw some dirt on it to make it look dirty. I'm sorry but these Walmart tunes just make me want to just go buy them and datalog all of them and show everybody how dangerous they are to these high dollar trucks.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'm betting it was the tune, as that doesn't have the option to flash it back to stock. SCT tuner, flash to stock, no probs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback. It is very possible that the service dude was blowing smoke but it was kinda scary. I only have 19k miles and I just read the service ticket and it mentions the use of aftermarket parts. WTF!!!!!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'm betting it was the tune, as that doesn't have the option to flash it back to stock. SCT tuner, flash to stock, no probs.
Scorcher is a piggy back module.
It doesn't touch the tune. Just fools the truck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Federally approved?
Could you elaborate?

"Federally approved" = C.A.R.B. approved (California Air Resources Board) All vehicles sold in the USA are/have been rated as 49-State/California for emissions control equipment (even motorcycles). Or they are "50 State" compliant - which means that they have to meet CARB regs too. So, if something is CARB approved, then it is allowed in all other 49 States (presumably).

When I bought my Hypertech PowerMax tuner, it came with a label, that states "according to Federal Law this label must be posted on the vehicle's door jamb", for SMOG testers to identify the ECU's programing. The rest of the label says:
This vehicle is equipped with a
Hypertech Power Tuning Product

CARB E.O. D-260-15

(where applicable to specific product)
Follow factory tune-up specifications.​

The Hypertech also reflashes back to OEM when taking the vehicle into the dealer - ONLY because the dealer's computer won't know what to do with a different-than-OEM parameters, and will abort any intended diagnostics (not because they can, or will void your warranty. Because they can't, and won't)

I like the tune. I did the 87octane tune and nets 65hp (91 tune yields 85hp) and about 1mpg increase.

·
Registered
315 Posts
IMO by them putting " use of aftermarket parts " they are documenting things so that IF they need / want they can void you're warranty. My .2 is if you wanna run aftermarket parts use a reputable company ( Sct , Livernois ,SSI ) I have been tuned since 5k and had service work done and not a word was said.

Reactions: Ecofx86

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. It is very possible that the service dude was blowing smoke but it was kinda scary. I only have 19k miles and I just read the service ticket and it mentions the use of aftermarket parts. WTF!!!!!
I would have called him out on that! He didn't see it so he is making a statement about your truck that is a lie.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A few things for the future.

#1. they can read the ECU. They can tell if anything has been changed within a certain amount of milage.

#2. If you get a light and you have aftermarket parts, pull the parts off and put it back to stock. As long as the trucks running good you need to drive it for at minimum 300 miles to reset the computer to relearn stock configuration and have no trace of tune.

#3. Buy a scanner! They're cheap and save you a bunch of bs.

#4. Never admit to a dealer while under warranty. If they accuse you of having a tune or parts ask they to provide valid proof on it.

#5. Yes there's a MAF that's the piece you pull out of stock intake. ei: the rectangular plug with the wires coming out of it. It's not like the old school box in the past.

Hope this will help you out

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Only the early ecos ran MAF sensors, 12+ utilize air density sensors. This is why you can get away with running the twin tube intake.

Reactions: Tuffmag and scap99

·
Registered
138 Posts
Only the early ecos ran MAF sensors, 12+ utilize air density sensors. This is why you can get away with running the twin tube intake.

I see lol. But the twin tube? Like afe stage 2? Because they make them for the early model with a slot for the MAF. Regardless that's good to know.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I see lol. But the twin tube? Like afe stage 2? Because they make them for the early model with a slot for the MAF. Regardless that's good to know.
I guess the reason they did is that the oxygen content matters more to fuel/air ratio on a turbo charged engine than the amount of air flowing through the intake.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts