F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my Ecoboost a few weeks back. I tried to order it with an engine heater, but the dealer said it was not available. Any recommendations on where to get a good engine heater?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
They come from the factory with one on most of the Northwestern states. You should be able to order the part at your parts department. If your dealer doesn't know where to look, let me know. I'll see if I can find the correct part number so you can order one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer was a northwest dealer and they told me no. If you know the ford part number, please post it. I've tried to find it in a couple of online catalogs with no success.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My dealer tried to sell me the engine block heater and I am in Chicago. I declined because its not really needed here, but it is definately an option.

SPPD

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Here is the diagram with part numbers for the block heater on a 2013.

Hope this helps.

SPPD

ForumRunner_20130605_095843.png

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here is the diagram with part numbers for the block heater on a 2013.

Hope this helps.

SPPD

View attachment 1327
Speaking as a former Ford parts salesman, those part numbers are not the full part number, but just the basic or group part number. Example camshafts are 6250 and mufflers are 5230. For a complete Ford part number you need the prefix and the suffix. Example C1AZ-6731-A if I remember correctly is an FL-1A Motorcraft oil filter. Motorcraft part numbers are different than actual Ford part numbers. To order the engine heater you either need the accessory kit part number or the full part number of all the required parts. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I just picked up my Ecoboost a few weeks back. I tried to order it with an engine heater, but the dealer said it was not available. Any recommendations on where to get a good engine heater?
Check your build sheet if you purchased new, or look it up by your VIN. It comes from the factory for the cold states, it may be wrapped up under your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
113 Posts
got mine monday night , brand spankin new and it came with one , it's set up but the cooler hole on the bumper

·
Registered
41 Posts
As a last resort if you can't find one, someone (I forget who) makes an engine block heater that takes the place of the dipstick.

·
Registered
523 Posts
It doesn't appear I have one. Anyone know the Ford part number?

Right now I'm looking at BL3Z 6A051-A and or BL3Z 6B018-C. Not sure if these are correct. Some of the diagrams I'm seeing doesn't exude confidence with identifying the correct part for our application.

·
Registered
523 Posts
It doesn't appear as my truck is equipped with the block heater. Not sure how I missed that on the build.

Anyone have any pictures of where the actual heating element is inserted into the block? I believe I've pinpointed the location on mine. It appears to be on the passenger near side cylinder bank, front of the block, under the throttle body toward the passenger side. The entry point appears to be a casted extension toward the inside center-line of the right cylinder bank, again at the front of the block. I'll take a picture of what I see.

IMG_2155m.jpg

For wider perspective this is located about 3 inches below the throttle body and about 3 inches toward the rear of the vehicle. This is viewed while standing at the passenger side headlight and squatting moderately.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's pretty much right in the middle of the engine towards the drivers side. It is connected to the orange plug in the photos

image-895765842.jpg

image-288719111.jpg

image-3059307368.jpg

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to get those pictures and post them. I appreciate it very much.

The location appears to be the extravagant thermostat housing. Where your heating element is inserted. I have the securing black clip and bolt, just no heating element or cord.

Looking up inside the orifice on mine where the heating element would go, two to three inches back it appears to be blocked off. I'm betting at the factory there were two different castings on this part, one open for the heater, the other casing blocked off for those trucks without the heater.

There's a Ford part number on my casting BL3E-8A587-BB. Well not to sure this is a valid part number. I don't get any hits on this number online.

Online it appears BL3Z-8A586-B is the water pump housing. Can't validate if this part number is correct for trucks equipped with the block heater. Online I'm also seeing BL3Z-6A051-A for the heating element, and BL3Z-6B018-C for the cord.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would pull mine to see what it looks like inside, but that's a bit of work. I would be willing to bet that the blocked off area you see is a freeze plug since it appears there is a gasket for the heating element. Just curious, but why is it you're wanting one? How cold does it usually get where you live? I usually don't even plug mine in until, 10-15 below or colder. With it unplugged at 10 below I notice no significant change from it being plugged in. There are other ways to heat the engine if you're just looking for it to save wear and tear of cold starts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts