F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
101 - 120 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I kinda do wanna explore the Godzilla route, I just dont know how I could control it. The problem is in the Superduty it has a 10 speed, so the PCM wouldnt function right with my 6 speed, and in the E series trucks its a detuned version mated to a 6R140 I believe.

i almost wonder if the 6.2L F150 pcm would be able to control it if you flashed over just the engine side. Similar to what the guy with that Transit van that he swapped the 2nd gen 3.5 into with the 6 speed.🤔

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 SCLB Max Tow
696 Posts
I kinda do wanna explore the Godzilla route, I just dont know how I could control it. The problem is in the Superduty it has a 10 speed, so the PCM wouldnt function right with my 6 speed, and in the E series trucks its a detuned version mated to a 6R140 I believe.

i almost wonder if the 6.2L F150 pcm would be able to control it if you flashed over just the engine side. Similar to what the guy with that Transit van that he swapped the 2nd gen 3.5 into with the 6 speed.🤔
You must learn young grasshopper then complete the swap!

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
532 Posts
I feel like if you can make that 4Runner climb mountains and go down the highway with 34 hp, then you’ll have no problem working your magic on a Godzilla transplant!

·
Registered
344 Posts
That sucks to see mass. Making me more and more worried with my high mileage Eco.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I am contemplating now if I need to install a door in the back of my garage. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,928 Posts

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I called Jasper Engines and they are saying unknown backorder. But the engine from them costs the same price as the long block from Ford. So that doesnt really help me time or price wise.

I also just called Fraser engines and the guy said they had them in stock and that its 2-3 weeks shipping. Price is slightly cheaper with the core charge @$6700. I don't think I will get a core since mine has a hole in it and it probably costs as much to ship the motor as they give me for it.

·
Moderstrator
1,912 Posts
Thanks kinda good news and bad news. Good they have a engine, bad you may not get a core refund.
May you can clean up the old one once you get everything off, take by an art gallery and sell it as modern art - title it “Overboost”, sell it for thousands, forget about the core loss.
:cool:

·
Moderstrator
4,498 Posts
This discussion has me thinking about the core charge and the damaged block.

Back in the day when I was young, dumb, still single, and was all about anything automotive, I wanted to build a table. I wanted this to be a "front room" table with a glass top, an engine with the side knocked out of it as the base, and 4 bent rods with pistons coming out of the end cylinders holding the glass up. The weight was impractical and that scared me away from doing it.

I did however make a pretty nice smoked glass topped table with shortened camshafts as legs. I had the cams chromed, the frame was 90-degree angled stainless that was polished. It was quite nice in a MotorHead kinda way. Wish I had a picture.

The best thing that ever happened to me and I took the apartment I was living in at that time. She of course has better taste in decorating. My roommate moved on and took the table. He was a car guy too and no doubt took good care of it. Wonder what ever happened to it.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
This discussion has me thinking about the core charge and the damaged block.

Back in the day when I was young, dumb, still single, and was all about anything automotive, I wanted to build a table. I wanted this to be a "front room" table with a glass top, an engine with the side knocked out of it as the base, and 4 bent rods with pistons coming out of the end cylinders holding the glass up. The weight was impractical and that scared me away from doing it.

I did however make a pretty nice smoked glass topped table with shortened camshafts as legs. I had the cams chromed, the frame was 90-degree angled stainless that was polished. It was quite nice in a MotorHead kinda way. Wish I had a picture.

The best thing that ever happened to me and I took the apartment I was living in at that time. She of course has better taste in decorating. My roommate moved on and took the table. He was a car guy too and no doubt took good care of it. Wonder what ever happened to it.
Yes I just came back to post about this.

The dealers original quote for the engine of ~$7500 does NOT include the core. This had not occured that the $7500 didnt include that since the $7500 actually seemed to be about the ballpark for a Ford sourced engine including core charge. Since my block is damaged I likely wont recover the core charge and its actually going to cost me $8500 just for the engine. Even though the $3300 of labor(which was the book value he quoted but said it could be more depending on if they run into issues) is somewhat reasonable, I am now looking at ~$12000 for the installation not including any incidentals and everything is "by the book".

So now I am thinking I might just go with the $6700 engine from Fraser that I can have in a few weeks instead of a 3-5 months. The only issue is that, if I don't have it installed by a "Licensed Auto Repair Facitiliy" I would not get the 3 year unlimited mile warranty on parts and labor.

Godzilla is out since its just too much of a task to tackle for a truck that I need to be a daily driver and reliable tow rig that can take me in and out of remote spots. The electronics will absolutely be an issue trying to get Godzilla to work.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I know jasper was putting upgraded pistons in their Ecoboost. Do you know if Fraser was doing something similar?

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
I know jasper was putting upgraded pistons in their Ecoboost. Do you know if Fraser was doing something similar?
Probably not. Jasper wouldn't even let me order since they had no idea what the timing was. Which makes me kinda suspicious that Fraser just has motors sitting around.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
This is their flyer:

Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,109 Posts
Definitely not a buyers market for anything the last couple of years.
But everything goes in cycles, so it's often just about timing.
Sure would be nice if this could just be put on a back burner. For how long? However long it takes for something fortuitous to land in your lap. :)

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Scrap yard motor and have a local shop rebuild? They're a pretty common motor. It's crazy the prices they're getting.
Thats the thing, when I was looking on Ebay people wanted 5-6k + shipping for 75k miles motors which seems completely dumb.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thats the thing, when I was looking on Ebay people wanted 5-6k + shipping for 75k miles motors which seems completely dumb.
That's insane. I know prices have gone up on everything but that's so close to new motor price it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
That's insane. I know prices have gone up on everything but that's so close to new motor price it's just not worth it.
They know they have you by the balls unless you are willing to wait 4-5 months for a reman.

I will sit on this for 5 months if I have to. My wife and I both work from home so we don't really need two cars, I have the 4Runner as a second car if needed, and my GX can tow the trailer if I feel like going camping.

101 - 120 of 167 Posts