F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started another thread about caltracs but the more I've been thinking about them the more I don't want them. I figured this might get more insight on what's best. My situation, I want something for performance(drag racing, sled pulling). I never tow or haul but still want to be able to if needed. I also want something that's fairly easy to install and remove if I need to go in for warranty work.

The caltracs were my first interest buy they seem difficult to install and remove if needed. Also I've heard that they're noisy and ride rougher. Also at some point they reach a performance limit and can still have axle wrap.

The RAS roadmaster active suspension. They seem to be the easiest/quickest to install and remove. They would be the best all around driving/towing/hauling but at some point they will have axle wrap as well.

Traction bars seem to be the best at eliminating wheel hop and axle wrap. Now which ones... The mounts MUST be bolt on, no welding and fit my 157" truck. I liked the pro comps but they won't work apparently. You can get them lots of places but I called pro comp today because everyone had them listed as fitting "super cab" trucks. That's all the specifics. The guy that I talked to from pro comp said they fit "crew cab short bed". I said ok that's the 145" what about the 157" trucks. He sounded like I asked him to explain the theory of relativity. He said "so that's the longer bed"? I said yes and he said they wouldn't work. I asked if the mounts would work and I could have a custom bar made and he said no because the front mount uses a body mount. Then he said that their bars will only work on lifted trucks. They won't work on any stock height trucks. I'm confused and I don't think he knew a whole lot about these trucks anyway. I also found the JLP bars. They look nice but can't find any feedback on guys running them. Also they look bolt on but where to they mount? I called JLP to get some more info and talked to some girl. I told her what pro comp said and she said theirs will fit the 145 and 157 trucks. I don't know how the same bolt on bar set could fit? So now I'm back to square one. Maybe I'll call JLP back and get more info. Any insight from you guys will help. Thanks.

BTW... All these kits are between $400 and $460 so price is not a factor.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yep those are the ones I called JLP about. I don't understand how they can be bolt on and work for both the 145" and 157" trucks though and the girl I talked to didn't seem to know much.

Lol not sure. I say call back for us and see if you get someone with more insight.

MPT tuned....Kings of the Street!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try again tomorrow. I was hoping someone out there has ran the JLP bars.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do some searching on the internet and you'll see that the JLP bars are some of the favorites by the Ford Lightning guys. I've got the 145" WB so the JLP's are what I'm getting.......not sure though if they would fit your longer 157" WB.....maybe....good luck

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do some searching on the internet and you'll see that the JLP bars are some of the favorites by the Ford Lightning guys. I've got the 145" WB so the JLP's are what I'm getting.......not sure though if they would fit your longer 157" WB.....maybe....good luck
Oh yeah I've read about the lightning guys loving them, in fact, that's all I can find. Not really apples to apples compared to my truck. Haha.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All though there was barely interest here, I figured I'd give an update of what I've found. I determined that the RAS and Caltracs just aren't going to meet my requirements and a set of full bars is a must. A guy on the F150forum suggested I contact Stifflers and they are finalizing a set of bars for our trucks. I called and talked to a very nice and knowledgeable gentleman who was happy to answer all my questions. They have some prototype bars on some trucks currently and are finalizing the production bars now. They are complete bolt on, no welding! The bars fit both 145" and the 157" trucks as the mounting point on the frame is in the same location on both trucks. The price he told me is $475 which is only $25 more that the JLP bars. The big difference is the the JLP bars use bushings where as the Stifflers bars use adjustable heim joints! So for basically the same price the Stifflers bars are way better than the JLP's. He said the bars are about 3 weeks out. I'm going to call back in a few weeks and check, hopefully I can have them on my truck before the first pull on May 16th. If anyone is in the market for some sort of traction bars, I highly recommend calling Stifflers and just shoot the **** and he'll lead you in the right direction. Here's their link. Stifflers Automotive and Suspension Products Plainfield Indiana

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Oh yeah I've read about the lightning guys loving them, in fact, that's all I can find. Not really apples to apples compared to my truck. Haha.

I'll try again tomorrow. I was hoping someone out there has ran the JLP bars.

Yeah I've run them with excellent results....on my Lightning. I don't see why they wouldn't work just as good on our trucks though.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I've run them with excellent results....on my Lightning. I don't see why they wouldn't work just as good on our trucks though.
They look like a decent setup, but for virtually the same price, the Stifflers with heim joints versus the JLP's with bushings is a no-brainer. In fact, even if the Stifflers were $100 more they would still be worth it. Also from making phone calls to both places, Stifflers is 100x better customer service.

Reactions: Raiderfan1890

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so here's an update if anyone cares.. I was holding out for the Stifflers bars. 2 weeks ago they told me it would be 2-3 weeks until their bolt on bars were ready. I called back yesterday and they said the bars weren't ready yet and didn't know when they would be. He said he could sell me a set with the bolt on rear brackets but the front one would need welded to the frame... and they would cost the same as the bolt on set($475+shipping). No thanks. I need bars on my truck by may 16th for a sled pull. I called JLP and ordered a set($450+shipping). Theirs are full bolt on and in stock. She said they would ship today and I'll have them Friday hopefully. I'll post pics of the install when I get them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok so here's an update if anyone cares.. I was holding out for the Stifflers bars. 2 weeks ago they told me it would be 2-3 weeks until their bolt on bars were ready. I called back yesterday and they said the bars weren't ready yet and didn't know when they would be. He said he could sell me a set with the bolt on rear brackets but the front one would need welded to the frame... and they would cost the same as the bolt on set($475+shipping). No thanks. I need bars on my truck by may 16th for a sled pull. I called JLP and ordered a set($450+shipping). Theirs are full bolt on and in stock. She said they would ship today and I'll have them Friday hopefully. I'll post pics of the install when I get them.

Thanks for the update. I am going to be taking my truck to the track sometime soon and have been researching traction options. My truck is 2wd, so I know it is going to be a bit more difficult launching from a dead stop.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

Awesom please keep us informed. I may have to go this route to. If you can take as many pics as possible of the install...and take notes for this Cajun. Thx bud

MPT tuned....Kings of the Street!
[email protected] & [email protected]

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep will do guys. They said the kit is 100% bolt on with all hardware included. Should be a fairly easy install I'm hoping.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's my plan. I have a nice flat driveway I'm just going to crawl under and bolt them up.

Reactions: scap99
1 - 20 of 66 Posts