F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Dee Zee tail gate assist but having problems with the ball that goes in the tailgate. I tightened it according to the instructions, but it came loose. I have now tightened it again several times. It tighten up very well, but after opening and closing the tailgate couple of times, its back loose again. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Not familiar with it, but is it some thing that Loctite would take care of? Or maybe even a few wraps of Teflon plumbers tape?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Its not the bolt that comes loose, it uses locktite, its the part that expands in the hole of the tailgate that keeps getting loose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have it the directions on putting the nut insert in wasn't the greatest but I read from other comments to give it a couple extra turns mine works great you will probably have to get a new nut insert at the auto part store

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went through 2 nutserts trying to install mine and never got it right. I decided to put an actual lock nut with a washer behind and it will never come loose.theres a YouTube video on how to do it if you decide to go that route. It's kind of a tedious process but I did it in less than an hour...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Use google and search "EZ Down nutsert problem solved". you should see the link. It has pictures and directions on how to do it. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks, I will do this. I did contact Dee Zee and they are sending me a new insert.

Not bad, 30 min total from time I read how to fix it, until I was done and back in the house. Thanks for the suggestion!!

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
torque wrench

Thanks, I will do this. I did contact Dee Zee and they are sending me a new insert.

Not bad, 30 min total from time I read how to fix it, until I was done and back in the house. Thanks for the suggestion!!
Did you . . . Holding the nutsert and tool tightly in the hole, do full (exactly) 9 turns of the nut while holding the hex bolt in place, remove the bolt&tool, insert & hand tighten the ball, torque down the ball to the specified setting?

I had no issues with mine following this method.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just Google the fix, I have had NO problems since fixing mine with the lock nut.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
The nutsert expansion is pretty finicky, because if you "under" expand it, it will come loose, and if you "over" expand it, you're totally screwed. It will strip out, and you have to cut it off with a grinding wheel. That said....it's pretty much the only way they can make it to accomplish a fairly quick/easy install, and also keep the price point down at 30 bucks retail. If the design was more involved, your average guy would not attempt the install, and then it becomes much more pricey when you add the cost of professional installation time.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
244 Posts
I followed the instructions to a t. All 3 times . This is a very common issue. The nutsert isn't a strong design.
I drill mine out

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
hence the torque specification . . .

The nutsert expansion is pretty finicky, because if you "under" expand it, it will come loose, and if you "over" expand it, you're totally screwed. It will strip out, and you have to cut it off with a grinding wheel. That said....it's pretty much the only way they can make it to accomplish a fairly quick/easy install, and also keep the price point down at 30 bucks retail. If the design was more involved, your average guy would not attempt the install, and then it becomes much more pricey when you add the cost of professional installation time.

That is exactly why I would say use a torque wrench. IMO, the instructions should specify that instead of leaving it optional. But, your point about "your average guy" comes into play there too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did the mod. Took 10 minutes if you have everything ready and a small impact to take the tailgate screws out. But it takes another 25 minutes to get your wrench out of the tailgate when your duct tape that held the wrench to the nut better than some cheap zip ties and the wrench stays in the tailgate

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was about to buy this from etrailer and in fact had it in my cart. None of the reviews there seemed to have any kind of problem, which makes you wonder whether those reviews have been scrubbed for appropriateness. Be that as it may, I'm having second thoughts about this item and so I'm glad I found this thread.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was about to buy this from etrailer and in fact had it in my cart. None of the reviews there seemed to have any kind of problem, which makes you wonder whether those reviews have been scrubbed for appropriateness. Be that as it may, I'm having second thoughts about this item and so I'm glad I found this thread.

I would not hesitate to buy it again, it works so well. I would suggest going ahead and doing the fix with the lock nut from the start and not use the insert they send. I love mine and will never have another truck without one.

Reactions: Platinum'12
1 - 20 of 22 Posts