F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I have read most of the threads in this forum and i can tell you guys will have the best opinion on what my company is trying to create so i will really appreciate your help in this (this is not an add or advertising)

I have a company specialized in turbochargers and we are developing a performance upgrade on the F150 2011-2012, i have seen several other upgrades in the market and we believe there are 2 options for them

1) Develop a compressor wheel with a better airflow, lighter and get a bit more HP, not modifying the Compressor housing

2)Create a new compressor with bigger inducer and modify the compressor housing for the fitting of such compressor.

There are obvious perks to both of the ideas, option 1 is you wont modify your OEM turbo and option 2 you get a better upgrade to your truck but you will modify your OEM turbo

Please feel free to give me your opinions and i hope this thread does not break any rules (None to my understanding)

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Is this even a real post?

1. Google "BATMO wheels" or search here or any other F150 forum. In my mind this idea isn't popular because of costs and time involved to pick up, what, 30 horsepower?

2. If you can beat what BW did with the "GT" turbos or what Cavelli is doing with theirs, more power to you.

Any why limit yourself to the 2011-2012? You're leaving out most of the market.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im familiar with Batmo, the cost of making those is way too much for what the results it provides, to my opinion ,

The compressor cavalli has is pretty impressive but i believe it can be done better, even upgrade the turbine also to really be able to get potential out of a bigger compressor

I mentioned the 2011-2012 turbo because is the one i have most in stock, I Know it is the same up to 2016 with a BOV block-off plate just mentioning the one im working on

I dont see the problem on this thread but thanks for your feedback i guess

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
11 and 12s actually use a bit smaller of a turbo than the 13/14+.

And honestly your talking trucks that are already 7 model years old. 80% of those turbo's aren't going to come apart without damage or being worn.

Best option is a full turbo change.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts

And honestly your talking trucks that are already 7 model years old. 80% of those turbo's aren't going to come apart without damage or being worn.

Which there is already a reasonably priced option designed by a large turbo charger manufacturer with many many years of experience and R&D under their belts. And at $1100 a turbo its not poorly priced.

What about balancing the rotating assembly if we swap compressor wheels? Is that a concern? Do we know if the stock rotating assemblies are balanced as one unit or as separate parts before they get put together? If they are balanced as a unit that would make swapping compressor wheels a PITA.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Which there is already a reasonably priced option designed by a large turbo charger manufacturer with many many years of experience and R&D under their belts. And at $1100 a turbo its not poorly priced.

What about balancing the rotating assembly if we swap compressor wheels? Is that a concern? Do we know if the stock rotating assemblies are balanced as one unit or as separate parts before they get put together? If they are balanced as a unit that would make swapping compressor wheels a PITA.
The average joe doesn't want to go through everything you're suggesting, at least this one. Time effort and cost is better spent just putting GT's in.

And to answer your question with a question....do you not know the impacts for said modifications to the snails? Asking for volunteers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,794 Posts

The average joe doesn't want to go through everything you're suggesting, at least this one. Time effort and cost is better spent just putting GT's in.

And to answer your question with a question....do you not know the impacts for said modifications to the snails? Asking for volunteers ?
When BATMO wheels were the rage (for a few months), I remember reading that it was a simple wheel swap and no balancing was required. I even went so far as to buy a used set from someone on a forum. They sat in a box on my desk for probably a year because I didn't have time to pull the turbos out of my truck and, deep down inside, I knew it was foolish to put stock turbos back in (even slightly upgraded) after spending the time to remove the turbos. Not to mention having to crack them open and replace the wheel. It might've been easy but my luck is such that I probably would've ruined a turbo or a wheel.

Regarding modifications to the snails, is this not what LET did with the 58's? They made pretty decent power (490-ish rwhp I believe) with those as long as you had basic supporting mods.

I'd love to see the OP develop additional turbo options for the EB platform. Competition is good for all of us.

Reactions: bespurcell

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
When BATMO wheels were the rage (for a few months), I remember reading that it was a simple wheel swap and no balancing was required. I even went so far as to buy a used set from someone on a forum. They sat in a box on my desk for probably a year because I didn't have time to pull the turbos out of my truck and, deep down inside, I knew it was foolish to put stock turbos back in (even slightly upgraded) after spending the time to remove the turbos. Not to mention having to crack them open and replace the wheel. It might've been easy but my luck is such that I probably would've ruined a turbo or a wheel.

Regarding modifications to the snails, is this not what LET did with the 58's? They made pretty decent power (490-ish rwhp I believe) with those as long as you had basic supporting mods.
I guess that's my point. If I'm removing a turbo the last thing I'm going to do is Frankenstein a new wheel into the original set up when i can just bolt a better turbo up and be done

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I guess that's my point. If I'm removing a turbo the last thing I'm going to do is Frankenstein a new wheel into the original set up when i can just bolt a better turbo up and be done
Keep in mind that there are folks driving these trucks that are a bit more strapped for cash than high rollers such as yourself <evil grin>. Having the option to upgrade the stock turbos in your driveway is neat, though it hasn't proven very popular.

Reactions: aboostedf150

·
Registered
90 Posts
this would probably more suited to the 2.7, as i haven't seen or heard much support for the head mounted turbo. I figure it will be coming in the next year or so, but as of now???

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Keep in mind that there are folks driving these trucks that are a bit more strapped for cash than high rollers such as yourself <evil grin>. Having the option to upgrade the stock turbos in your driveway is neat, though it hasn't proven very popular.
ROI.

·
Administrator
11,174 Posts
Upgrading the wheel was a hotly contested topic when I had my 7.3. A "wicked wheel" was the upgrade there. Those turbos were very prone to ridiculous compressor surge. That was the reason for the upgrade, not more power.

The conclusion most came up with was it was a bad idea without sending the turbo off to be balanced with the wheel. After that was done it wasn't very cost effective.

With that said, I never found a report of anyone who actually did it, but did not balance, and had a problem afterward with premature failure.

Still, I decided not to do it. Even after buying the wheel. I decided to spend $400 on a ported housing instead. My thoughts were, why risk it?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

You are correct and i was not clear with my thread, what i mean is offering the complete turbo NEW without the need of you returning the core, i plan to upgade the turbo and balance the complete catridge to the new compressor, the reason is to offer a better option to your damaged turbo, if a customer can replace their damaged turbo with a new one upgraded for the same cost i believe it is a better option,

Offering it at the same price will of course damage our profit but at the end of the day is better selling a product than just having it in the warehouse,

Let me try to explain better why i question the 2 upgrade options

if your turbo is damaged and you decide to change it for my upgrade instead of the OEM (again same cost with no need to send your core)

once the turbo i gave the customer fails for some reason in 2 or 3 years, if the upgrade was just modifying the compressor without porting the compressor housing it can be repaired in any shop but if the upgrade was a bigger compressor porting the compressor housing either you have to get it repaired with me or you have to buy a new turbo

i know im thinking too much into it and i really appreciate all of your feedback i just want to make sure i can offer the best experience to the market

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Well I see it this way.pls don't take any negative feed back to heart..anytime there's a company that's willing to go forth and build upgrades for a platform such a the Gen1 ecoboost it's a good thing.the Gen2 is going to be where the biggest interest from major companies because of the raptor & the fordGT even if they are a small limited run platforms..they directly carry over to 10's of thousands of gen2 in other models,& will make more power with less effort while being more cost effective for the owners....
Currently I believe a new ford or rebuilt stock set of turbos can now be found for 650-900$ A pair while a Oem Gt upgrades is about 22-2400 bucks & there's lots of ppl who don't make that in a month yet still drive a ecoboost gen1...
As the gen1 gets older ppl with less income then begin to buy used vehicles. No matter your income bracket there's always ppl who enjoy a little extra power..
So if there's a reputable & reliable company who can offer rebuilt modified OEM turbos for the price of a stock turbo I think it would be very well received by many..that said having another LET here today & gone tomorrow doesn't help anyone if there's a warranty issue although he was from what I understood was having them farmed out..
My advise would be to not even focus on the 11-12 models it would be to just offer 13-16 turbos as a replacement for all gen1 yrs period since the 11-12 turbos are smaller...
thks for the interest..if you wouldn't mind what's the companies name ? Do you solely focus on turbos only ? Thks..

·
Administrator
11,174 Posts
Well I see it this way.pls don't take any negative feed back to heart..anytime there's a company that's willing to go forth and build upgrades for a platform such a the Gen1 ecoboost it's a good thing.the Gen2 is going to be where the biggest interest from major companies because of the raptor & the fordGT even if they are a small limited run platforms..they directly carry over to 10's of thousands of gen2 in other models,& will make more power with less effort while being more cost effective for the owners....
Currently I believe a new ford or rebuilt stock set of turbos can now be found for 650-900$ A pair while a Oem Gt upgrades is about 22-2400 bucks & there's lots of ppl who don't make that in a month yet still drive a ecoboost gen1...
As the gen1 gets older ppl with less income then begin to buy used vehicles. No matter your income bracket there's always ppl who enjoy a little extra power..
So if there's a reputable & reliable company who can offer rebuilt modified OEM turbos for the price of a stock turbo I think it would be very well received by many..that said having another LET here today & gone tomorrow doesn't help anyone if there's a warranty issue although he was from what I understood was having them farmed out..
My advise would be to not even focus on the 11-12 models it would be to just offer 13-16 turbos as a replacement for all gen1 yrs period since the 11-12 turbos are smaller...
thks for the interest..if you wouldn't mind what's the companies name ? Do you solely focus on turbos only ? Thks..
I mostly agree. The 2200-2400 is steep. Once these trucks are older and more are buying them used, say an old tired turbo starts to go out, why NOT upgrade it if the cost isn't that much more? If my turbos are ever done for out of warranty I'll probably be looking to upgrade if one is available (2.7).

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I have a feeling it might be a while as the 2.7 is part of the head isn't it ? Maybe some one will start selling a head/turbo upgrade all in one..never know..i for one will have my truck till i die most likely,so it would be nice to still have someone offering service 10-15 yrs from now..

·
Administrator
11,174 Posts
High tech turbo offers a set now, which will be available through TheF150Shop (reportedly) soon.

I'm not sure how the deal got started that it's part of the head. The head and the exhaust manifold are 1 piece, but the turbos bolt to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Thank you so much for your feedback

The problem here is the following, i am focusing on the 1 gen turbos because i got so many of them in stock, and they dont help just being stored, so i thought an easy way to sell them was upgrading them and offer them online or somewhere else, however if even upgraded they will not sell my investment will be worthless. at this point i only care about giving a quality product that helps my consumer and helps me on moving this product faster. as you said an upgrade is 2200 dlls and you need to send the core back, this upgrade if i decide to do it would be arround 800 a bit more depends on a lot of things

About the warranty we cover unlimited mileage and because i have the capability to repair the turbo and the stock to rely on, the customer gets another pair sent back asap.

Again im not trying to advertise just answering questions

About my company i didnt say the name because i wanted to respect the forum and not see it as an advertising, we focus on turbochargers and we also sell Fan clutch and charge air coolers, we just started in Texas and we want to start operations with the right product in this case this turbo, we have 3 other companies in mexico, Relationship with OEM providers and aftermarket (That is the reason we can offer the product at the same price), we know what we do and what we do is turbochargers repairs, upgrades and all of the single components to a single bearing

1 - 20 of 80 Posts