F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck shifts great "normal" driving, but when I GET on it around 70mph my trans makes my diff. feel like it wants to pass me up.
Need help/advice
Truck is a fx2 3.31 gears screw with a 5.5 bed

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't seen anything that would be loose but I've been told it could be diff wrap. It breaks them loose just fine 1-2 & 2-3 but on 3-4 at 70 it scratches and feels like the diff literally wants to get ahead of me. My thoughts were that the boost peaked and dropped too rapidly at that shift point and made the truck feel that way.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I guess it could be axle wrap and the only fix fir that is to stop it.
That would take a caltrac !
Although i havent heard of anyone else having the same complaint most people like myself just complain about wheel hop from tire spin

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'm confused... It seems like it's dog walking??

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
It's nothing new for Pinny the young grasshopper to be confused, but I too am wondering what the problem is. Truck feels like it wants to rotate on you? Also, are you bone stock?

Family First

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found the problem, my diff only stays looked up to 25 mph and disengages so when it shifts after that the power is only at one wheel and causes that feeling

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
You're not supposed to use the locker on dry pavement man. At least i think thats what youre saying. Leave it off and turn off your traction control and advance track instead. You will grenade your rear end like that.

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MadEcoboost

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Did I misread this or is the OP saying he's leaving his E-Locker engaged all the time on dry pavement?

·
Registered
868 Posts
thats what i see and yes the computer is set to disengage the E-lock at any speed above 25 mph but it doesnt engage until there is slack in the driveline.
i have one and i have done it on dry road pulling from a stop to 96 mph and i turned the locker off when i hit about 40 it was still engage even after i braked back down to 20 mph and made a turn the wheels were chirpin all the way around until i bumped the shifter into neutral and back to drive.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Holy $#!t man there are about a dozen reasons that is a REALLY bad idea. Driving anything with a locker fully engaged (like a spool) in anything other than a straight line OR where there's some traction slippage (not fully hooked up) is a freaking impending disaster!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No to having the E-lock on all the time. Yes only in a straight line, and I've only done it a handful of times before I heard/read stories of other guys breaking things then I had quit doing that in dry payment. I believe one guy on here was the first to have their truck down for a while because his rear end (slow I believe is his name) that I had read about. There's guys on here that do this with their trucks on 4X4 HI.

I'm going threw a shop near Houston that eliminates the E-Lock and installs a limited slip unit.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
No to having the E-lock on all the time. Yes only in a straight line, and I've only done it a handful of times before I heard/read stories of other guys breaking things then I had quit doing that in dry payment. I believe one guy on here was the first to have their truck down for a while because his rear end (slow I believe is his name) that I had read about. There's guys on here that do this with their trucks on 4X4 HI.

I'm going threw a shop near Houston that eliminates the E-Lock and installs a limited slip unit.
You already have a limited slip unit....

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Really confused, should not be doing that if the elock is disengaged not to mention if you ever drive anywhere slick aka mud or snow you will hate the limited slip unit, well IMO anyways

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I don't think so, if he has the electric locker...
The E-Locker is an open rear-end? That doesn't make sense to me....I'm gonna have to do some research....I have an E-Locker and I can get wheel spin from either side with T/C off, which should mean that it has clutches right?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The E-Locker is an open rear-end? That doesn't make sense to me....I'm gonna have to do some research....I have an E-Locker and I can get wheel spin from either side with T/C off, which should mean that it has clutches right?
In my experience I would say your correct, mine is the same way

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Yeah....I'm confused too..:confused:...maybe a Ford tech or some expert will jump in here....cuz I could be totally wrong, but that just doesn't add up for me...but then again, I have only used "posi" carriers (like Auburn or Eaton), spools, and mechanical lockers in the past, so this E-Locker stuff is new to me.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I was doing research because I wanted the E-lock to remain lock until a higher speed like the Raptor. I did some reading on another site that the computer ... even with TC Off, will "simulate" a limited-slip. The problem is ... it does it by robbing power - not like a true limited-slip.

From what I understand, Ford (and the others) have gone to this E-lock/Open Diff with computerized "simulation" to give the advantages of Limited-Slip at low/slippery conditions and to an open diff at higher speeds to have less parasitic loss and better fuel economy.

Ford only offered the real limited-slip on a very few truck combinations. The rest got E-lock. I really would have preferred a true limited-slip too. I find my rear right tire constantly 'slipping' when I am not even trying to do anything.

Reactions: scap99
1 - 20 of 75 Posts