F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying an F150 Ecoboost crewcab 6 1/2' bed to tow my ski boat. I have looked at one with the 3.31 differential. The combined weight of the boat and trailer is 4500#. Will a 3.31 meet my needs or should I go with a 3.55 rear end?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not sure if this helps but I have 3.73 in mine and it pulls 3 round hay bales on a hay buggy with no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

·
Registered
229 Posts
They are 700-900 pounds each so not quite the weight you're asking about but close.

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I see a lot of people towing with the 3.55. We have several people who tow regularly so hopefully they'll chime in

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I think a 3.31 should be adequate for that load. Boats are really easy to tow because they are so aerodynamic. That will be a breeze for the 3.31

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I always recommend the 3.73s to everyone that will tow. The MPG loss seems to be nominal from real life examples on this forum. To answer your question the 3.31 will be fine, but my recommendation is the 3.73s because if and when you upgrade or need to tow something larger you will be good to go.

SPPD

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 3:31 and tow a 21' Rinker on a tandem trailer and it pulls it very well. I lock out 6th gear and it pulls it without shifting out of fifth up hills easily, running 2,000 rpm at 70 mph. I thought I was buying a truck with the 3:55 (that's what the online option list read) but it ended being 3:31, it seems to work just fine but I would probably go with 3:55.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can someone actually explain these ratios. The little that I know is that the lower the number the better the fuel economy. Why would the ratio affect towing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
graysailor
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing