F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2016 2.7 and absolutely love it. I have modded it with bolt-on parts and like the power gains and fuel mileage increase. I recently installed a SPD catted downpipe and I forgot to retune it and now I have broken cats. The tune I have on my truck right now is for and offroad downpipe. I did order an offroad pipe months ago but it never came so I bought this catted one. I'm trying to decide between replacing them and getting the correct tune OR cutting them and leaving the same tune. I know the pros and cons from both options and I'm fine with it. I do not live in a state that requires emission regulations. What would ya'll recommend?

·
Administrator
11,070 Posts
Who are you tuned with?

Everyone I have used for tunes would update my tune(s) with a revision for free.

Was your tune running too rich or something and killed the cats that way? If I were in your shoes, and the catted are on the way, I'd absolutely just buy another tune or get my current tunes revised vs gutting brand new high flow cats.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Because you had a tune for Cattless downpipes, all of the overtemp safeties were removed. So basically you just cooked a new set of catted downpipes.

If you’re going catted, you must get a revision. Otherwise you will cook another set. If cattless then you can keep your current tune.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who are you tuned with?

Everyone I have used for tunes would update my tune(s) with a revision for free.

Was your tune running too rich or something and killed the cats that way? If I were in your shoes, and the catted are on the way, I'd absolutely just buy another tune or get my current tunes revised vs gutting brand new high flow cats.

Thanks, I haven't done anything yet. I wasn't planning on gutting them, just cutting them out and replacing them with pipes. I will look into revisions for my truck and maybe buy new cats. I'm tuned with 5-star and thinking of going for brew city or there is a local dyno in my area specifically ford tuning

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because you had a tune for Cattless downpipes, all of the overtemp safeties were removed. So basically you just cooked a new set of catted downpipes.

If you’re going catted, you must get a revision. Otherwise you will cook another set. If cattless then you can keep your current tune.
I don't need to replace the piping right, just the cats. If I do go catless, Ill need to find a shop that will do a good job

·
Administrator
11,070 Posts
Brew City has just halted all tuning. If you bought the downpipes from 5* they will update for free. If not, I think they charge $60 or something. If Josh is doing your tuning with them I wouldn't be surprised if he'll cut you a little slack on that cost if you have multiple tunes to revise. I can't say for sure.

Gut, cut out, same difference in my opinion. Catted costs quite a bit more. I certainly wouldn't eliminate them.

Also, eliminating them, if you don't do I yourself, will cost more than new tune(s) or revisions. I think Unleashed usually charges something like $150 for two tunes. I think I bought MPT tunes for around that price too.

I'd recommend Boostking Tuning @Boostking or [email protected] for all of your tuning needs. I'd at least start there.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I don't need to replace the piping right, just the cats. If I do go catless, Ill need to find a shop that will do a good job
The problem being with aftermarket CATs, is they will all throw codes. Except Kooks. Just how picky our calibrations are.

But again it’s completely your choice catted or cattless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brew City has just halted all tuning. If you bought the downpipes from 5* they will update for free. If not, I think they charge $60 or something. If Josh is doing your tuning with them I wouldn't be surprised if he'll cut you a little slack on that cost if you have multiple tunes to revise. I can't say for sure.

Gut, cut out, same difference in my opinion. Catted costs quite a bit more. I certainly wouldn't eliminate them.

Also, eliminating them, if you don't do I yourself, will cost more than new tune(s) or revisions. I think Unleashed usually charges something like $150 for two tunes. I think I bought MPT tunes for around that price too.

I'd recommend Boostking Tuning @Boostking or [email protected] for all of your tuning needs. I'd at least start there.

I bought my downpipe from SPD and tunes from 5*. I just didnt revise them when i shouldve. I'll look into Boostking. I just think since they're already screwed, throw them out and straight pipe. I still have a muffler btw. I'll also look at SPD and how they do revisions along with 5*

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem being with aftermarket CATs, is they will all throw codes. Except Kooks. Just how picky our calibrations are.

I didn't have codes during the first week of owning it. When I heard the rattling, I knew they were screwed

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
If you had no CEL on your current tune with cattless or catted, your tuner most certainly turned off the rear O2 sensors.

That or they adjusted the threshold.

·
Administrator
11,070 Posts
I bought my downpipe from SPD and tunes from 5*. I just didnt revise them when i shouldve. I'll look into Boostking. I just think since they're already screwed, throw them out and straight pipe. I still have a muffler btw. I'll also look at SPD and how they do revisions along with 5*
I thought you said you've already ordered catted downpipes to replace them. If not, sure by all means I'd just have the cats eliminated from the downpipes you already have and roll on.

I think you can buy SPD downpipes through 5* and the revisions would come along with the purchase, but either way that ship has sailed. The update fee is still less than new tunes.

I'm going to use the SPD o2 foolers. Most of the guys using those with catless don't have a CEL, so I'm sure they would work if you DID have cats?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
152 Posts

That’s not true, my SPD catted downpipe on my 2.7 hasn’t thrown a code.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
That’s not true, my SPD catted downpipe on my 2.7 hasn’t thrown a code.
You will get a CEL. It just takes a bit of time. Some trucks report it sooner than others.

It’s all because they use a lower CPSI rating. That’s how they get their “high flow” CAT. Stock is about 400-450 CPSI(i believe).

·
Registered
152 Posts
You will get a CEL. It just takes a bit of time. Some trucks report it sooner than others.

It’s all because they use a lower CPSI rating. That’s how they get their “high flow” CAT. Stock is about 400-450 CPSI(i believe).
What’s the best fix for when and if it codes? O2 extenders?

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
What’s the best fix for when and if it codes? O2 extenders?
O2 defoulers would be your best option....but they are hit or miss. The only real way would be to tune it out, but as well know, that’s a big no-no.

It won’t effect performance at all having the code. You will just have a nice yellow CEL and you won’t be able to remote start the truck.

·
Registered
2019 3.5 XLT/SE 4X4 Magnetic SuperCrew 6.5 box 3.55 rear
99 Posts
O2 defoulers would be your best option....but they are hit or miss. The only real way would be to tune it out, but as well know, that’s a big no-no.

It won’t effect performance at all having the code. You will just have a nice yellow CEL and you won’t be able to remote start the truck.
That’s precisely my predicament, I want new catted DP’s next terribly but I’m not willing to throw the dice on the CEL, I can’t imagine life without auto start LOL

·
Registered
152 Posts

Well, i will do whatever it takes to keep that from happening. Is it illegal to tune out the CEL? I’ve heard yes and no. Well, given my truck doesn’t seem to be very sensitive is maybe a good indicator that it would be ok with defoulers if it eventually did through a CEL with my downpipe.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That’s precisely my predicament, I want new catted DP’s next terribly but I’m not willing to throw the dice on the CEL, I can’t imagine life without auto start LOL
My truck doesn’t have remote start so I don’t really care, just not thrilled about the possibility of having a yellow CEL on the dash

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Someone recently posted a link to some O2 sensors that had a little chunk of cat imbedded in the sensor. The marketing, of course, explained the science and all but guaranteed results.

It definitely was clever packaging.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts