F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a question for you experienced eco boost owners.
I purchased a 2016 F-150 with 3.5 eco boost. Changed the oil and filter. Added 6 qts. Of full synthetic. It’s been about 2k miles now. When I check the oil level it shows a little over full. Is this normal? I had a 2005 that showed a little low after adding the correct amount. Found out it was a glitch with that model and it was normal to show a little low. While I’m here I’m about to change the plugs. Which is best Motor Craft or NKG?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Does the oil smell like gas?

Stick with motorcraft parts, the trucks seem happiest with those.
I didn’t notice a fuel smell but I’ll check it again in the morning and see. What does it mean if I smell gas?
I’m coming across different Motorcraft spark plugs that say there for my truck. Sp580 , Sp520 , Sp560 etc.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You need to chart the oil level over a period of time. Slightly overfull may be simply an overfill. If your engine is "making" oil (gas or coolant getting into the oil), that's a bigger problem. My experience is the oil in these always smells somewhat like gas.

As for plugs, the only non-Motorcraft option that anyone seems to like is the NGK Rutheniums, which are more expensive than the Motorcraft. If you aren't tuned, there's likely no point in it. The correct plug is the SP580. They come stock gapped at 0.035, but many (especially those who are tuned) seem to have better luck at 32. Make sure you have a set of feeler gauges to confirm the gap on each plug. And don't buy them off Amazon - the amount of counterfeit crap on there has increased dramatically.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts