F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone of the ecobeast have extremely dirty exhaust? Just getting to 6k miles and my tail pipe is black. Nothing seems to be running bad, no lights, loss of power or anything else. Just curious if this is normal. My Subaru sti turbo did the same thing so I assume all is good.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah I'm getting black soot on the chrome tailpipe extension. That may have to come off, makes me want to clean it and "ain't nobody got time for dat".

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
This is totally normal for a turbo vehicle!

SPPD

·
Registered
589 Posts
Like SPPD meantioned very common on gas turbos..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to hear. I figured it was and like everyone else just wipe and go on.
Thanks for all that chimed in.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mine is the same way. Seems to run rich on a stock tune!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I also noticed this at appx 2500 miles and seems about the same now at 5000 miles. Mine looks like it is somewhat wet when it comes out. Haven't noticed any amount beneath where I park my truck but I park outisde so ti probably blows away. I have not cleaned it yet but I was a little concerned with it as it stands out quite a bit on a relatively new muffler - thanks for bringing it up as it sounds like it is normal.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Very common on DI turbo'd vehicles. If your sick of having to clean off your exhaust, get some high heat black paint and paint your tip/exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was thinking about getting a black tip when I get my new cat back. Because the rest of the truck can be totally clean but then u see the black tip and its like wow maybe the truck is dirtier then it is lol.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just ordered a new tip from an Austin,TX Ford Dealer via eBay, about $70 shipped. I'll do some research on high heat paint (which I recall is usually flat black) and try to paint my old tip (no use screwing up the new one!)
I was also wondering if getting the tip powder coated black would work. Anyone know if powder coating can handle the high heat?
Pics will be posted for this little experiment.
Here's the current one...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371511870.393206.jpg

·
Registered
373 Posts
My tip with my exhaust was black powder coated, and it chipped. But I don't have mud flaps, and both my winter and summer tires are aggressive/mt. My parents 12' ecoboost.. I painted from the axle back flat back high heat paint, and it has held up. Trying to coat your old chrome tip may not work, with out a good shot at removing the chrome surface.(I've painted some chrome on older vehicles and I didn't prep then properly and it flaked. Properly prepped newer attempts at painting the chrome has held up a lot better)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts