F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody explored disabling auto stop start using FORScan? I understand it factors things such as battery state of charge and ambient temp into the equation but it really is pretty aggressive. Shutting off even in fairly cold temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,520 Posts
Another vote for hitting the button.

Apparently when you disable it in Forscan it actually also disables BMS also. Not sure what side effects that may have.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Administrator
770 Posts
Auto Start/Stop Disable
BCM 726-48-02 x0xx xxxx xxxx (Disables Auto Start/Stop)
FCIM 7A7-01-01 xxxx x0xx xxxx (optional - disables switch - the button to turn off)
IPC 720-01-01 xxxx 1xxx xxxx (optional - disables stop/start message center in the trip/fuel IPC menu)

You can also unplug the battery monitor from the negative battery terminal. No issues in doing this and effectively disables auto stop start.

·
Administrator
7,848 Posts
Dude, seriously?!?!?

A VERY quick google search will yield you at least 100 different threads on forums regarding this. So, in turn, I thank you for making yet another useless thread.

tenor.gif

·
Administrator
10,520 Posts
If you absolutely must, I vote unplug the BMS sensor. There is a plug under the dash a lot of folks unplug, but it must be plugged back in before towing.

To the best of my knowledge there are no real side effects to unplugging BMS, aside from the extremely miniscule amount of gas BMS saves by cycling the alternator on and off. I'd imagine not you're disabling auto start stop you're not concerned with saving small amounts of fuel. It's essentially doing the same thing as when you turn it off with Forscan, but without having to buy the dongle and learn Forscan.

Personally, I leave my auto start stop on most of the time. When I want it off, I press the button Ford gave me.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Administrator
10,520 Posts
Sport Mode disables it, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
As long as he has an '18. I know this is the 2nd gen forum, so I'm assuming he does.

Sport mode does not disable auto start stop in the early gen trucks with Sport. ('15-'17)

My '16 will shut off in Sport mode all day long.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
If you absolutely must, I vote unplug the BMS sensor. There is a plug under the dash a lot of folks unplug, but it must be plugged back in before towing.

To the best of my knowledge there are no real side effects to unplugging BMS, aside from the extremely miniscule amount of gas BMS saves by cycling the alternator on and off. I'd imagine not you're disabling auto start stop you're not concerned with saving small amounts of fuel. It's essentially doing the same thing as when you turn it off with Forscan, but without having to buy the dongle and learn Forscan.

Personally, I leave my auto start stop on most of the time. When I want it off, I press the button Ford gave me.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
In real life scenario, BMS does not save any fuel, because it drops the voltage low enough, then the alternator has to charge for longer.
It is purely set up to get better mpg in the EPA testing cell. It may be a very marginal savings, but multiply by millions of trucks, it helps the CAFE rating in a large way. Just like the variable displacement oil pump... again, no real life advantages.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As long as he has an '18. I know this is the 2nd gen forum, so I'm assuming he does.

Sport mode does not disable auto start stop in the early gen trucks with Sport. ('15-'17)

My '16 will shut off in Sport mode all day long.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
My '17 also. Sport mode is the way to go if Im in a crabby mood and dont like the button. Sport mode, set it and forget. Only downside is you have to select Sport mode every startup just like pushing the button so it moot I guess....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,520 Posts
My '17 also. Sport mode is the way to go if Im in a crabby mood and dont like the button. Sport mode, set it and forget. Only downside is you have to select Sport mode every startup just like pushing the button so it moot I guess....

You have a 3.5 with the 10 speed? I think the sport mode turning it off came in with the 10 speed, but it's been hard figuring out exactly when that change started.

If it comes with the 10 speed that explains the difficulty, because the '17 2.7s would still shut down in sport, the 3.5s wouldn't.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
75 Posts
Or the OP can get this solution and have the ultimate solution. If you want start stop ON, then press the button ONCE and ONCE only. If you want auto start OFF, then press the button ONCE and ONCE only. Works great

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

Reactions: christopherori

·
Registered
44 Posts
You have a 3.5 with the 10 speed? I think the sport mode turning it off came in with the 10 speed, but it's been hard figuring out exactly when that change started.

If it comes with the 10 speed that explains the difficulty, because the '17 2.7s would still shut down in sport, the 3.5s wouldn't.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
Yup. Just re-verified after a neighborhood spin. Sport and T/H make the auto-start light eluminate "OFF" on 2017 3.5L, 10speed auto, 4x4. Either way you are pushin a button. I even tried a jumper a few months ago but each time the ignition went on/off the computer would not let the jumper keep it OFF.

Im with you, JUST USE ONE OF THE DAMN BUTTONS everytime and make it habit if it annoys you. I prefer to use the dashbutton and not run in Sport mode for the fuel economy unless Im feeling spry ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
A 1 inch piece of wire shuts it off forever too... Who would pay 100$ to shut off a/s/s
Jumper didnt work on 2017 3.5L with 10speed auto. Computer kept resetting it during every on/off cycle. I saw on the earlier Gen1s that this worked. What year is yours that it works on?

·
Administrator
10,520 Posts
Yup. Just re-verified after a neighborhood spin. Sport and T/H make the auto-start light eluminate "OFF" on 2017 3.5L, 10speed auto, 4x4. Either way you are pushin a button. I even tried a jumper a few months ago but each time the ignition went on/off the computer would not let the jumper keep it OFF.

Im with you, JUST USE ONE OF THE DAMN BUTTONS everytime and make it habit if it annoys you. I prefer to use the dashbutton and not run in Sport mode for the fuel economy unless Im feeling spry ;)

That pretty much settles it then, it came along with the 10 speed tranny.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

1 - 20 of 26 Posts