F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a thread about this, but it is for 2015-2017. I also realize the thread indicated it *should* work for 2018.

But I was hoping someone could post up that they successfully did it on a 2018 F150 (I have a 2.7 XLT) and what the steps/code was just so that it is settled/definitive here in this forum etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know there is a thread about this, but it is for 2015-2017. I also realize the thread indicated it *should* work for 2018.

But I was hoping someone could post up that they successfully did it on a 2018 F150 (I have a 2.7 XLT) and what the steps/code was just so that it is settled/definitive here in this forum etc.

Thanks!
I had done it on my 2018 XLT 3.5 for about 1 year. I have since restored it back to stock. It works, it does disable it. I know the title states 2015-2017, but it the same codes work for the 2018 model year. There was 1 item that didn't work, had to do with Power Fold mirrors, but that is it. It has not yet been tested for the 2019 model year. Will probably be confirmed as more 19 models get out there.

How ever there is a downside in disabling ASS using Forscan. It ends up disabling the Ford BMS system (Battery Management). Unknown to many people at the time, the new Ford trucks have factory installed AGM batteries. This type of battery requires a different charging rate than standard Lead Acid batteries. Thus the reason for BMS. Now whether not using the correct charging sequence with an AGM battery will reduce the life of the battery, your guess would be as good as mine. Battery experts say yes, but there have been ford owners that have disabled BMS for years and are still on the original battery. Could be just the luck of the draw.

I spent some time observing the BMS in action using Forscan Monitoring and indeed the charging sequences are quite different with BMS disabled vs it being enabled. Like I said, I turned if off after about a year because I found a reasonable hardware substitute. I bought and installed one of these: https://www.aaselectronics.net/

Its been installed for about 2 months and works well and doesn't disable the BMS system. The price is not cheap, but not very expensive for the way it handles this problem.

If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
storageman, thanks for the tip on that Auto StartStop module. I've seen a couple of others, but they were substantially more than $99. I've only had my truck a week, so I'm going to try to get used to ASS, but that module seems like the way to go if I decide I can't live with it.

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
Call me crazy but hundred bucks seems pretty cheap to me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Says the guy who has spent every bit of his Mega-Millions lottery winnings on a new engine and supporting modifications. LMAO!!!!

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
You don’t see me over here complaining about driving a 2018 around either, do ya?!

Good point, good point! ;)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I had done it on my 2018 XLT 3.5 for about 1 year. I have since restored it back to stock. It works, it does disable it. I know the title states 2015-2017, but it the same codes work for the 2018 model year. There was 1 item that didn't work, had to do with Power Fold mirrors, but that is it. It has not yet been tested for the 2019 model year. Will probably be confirmed as more 19 models get out there.

How ever there is a downside in disabling ASS using Forscan. It ends up disabling the Ford BMS system (Battery Management). Unknown to many people at the time, the new Ford trucks have factory installed AGM batteries. This type of battery requires a different charging rate than standard Lead Acid batteries. Thus the reason for BMS. Now whether not using the correct charging sequence with an AGM battery will reduce the life of the battery, your guess would be as good as mine. Battery experts say yes, but there have been ford owners that have disabled BMS for years and are still on the original battery. Could be just the luck of the draw.

I spent some time observing the BMS in action using Forscan Monitoring and indeed the charging sequences are quite different with BMS disabled vs it being enabled. Like I said, I turned if off after about a year because I found a reasonable hardware substitute. I bought and installed one of these: https://www.aaselectronics.net/

Its been installed for about 2 months and works well and doesn't disable the BMS system. The price is not cheap, but not very expensive for the way it handles this problem.

If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to answer them.
The BMS system is also implemented in the earlier trucks. It has to do with EPA mpg testing, not because of battery type.
I don't like the "smart" charging system, same goes for the variable displacement oil pumps in the newer trucks. Both don't actually do anything wonderful in real life scenarios.

·
Registered
38 Posts
AGM batteries have been around since the 80's, and people have been swapping their lead acid batteries for AGM in multiple aplications for years. Nothing special. They do not require any different charging method vs lead acid.

One reason they are becoming more common in vehicles is because they recover/recharge quicker, which makes them a better choice for ASS vehicles.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
AGM batteries have been around since the 80's, and people have been swapping their lead acid batteries for AGM in multiple aplications for years. Nothing special. They do not require any different charging method vs lead acid.

One reason they are becoming more common in vehicles is because they recover/recharge quicker, which makes them a better choice for ASS vehicles.

I am no battery expert, but I question your logic. Just because people have been doing it for years, doesn't mean its the right thing to do. If this was a no brainer, why did Ford expend all the effort to create a battery management system for their later model trucks ? Maybe they had to to achieve the EPA mileage goals ? I really don't know why but it does things differently.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am no battery expert, but I question your logic. Just because people have been doing it for years, doesn't mean its the right thing to do. If this was a no brainer, why did Ford expend all the effort to create a battery management system for their later model trucks ? Maybe they had to to achieve the EPA mileage goals ? I really don't know why but it does things differently.
My thought is for the same reason they spent the time, energy, and money on the ASS system to begin with...fuel mileage and rating.
Neither ASS nor BMS are there to help the battery live longer, thats for sure.

AGM batteries just help the ASS system work better and are overall a better battery. However, they dont need any different attention to charging.

Use the Deltran battery tenders as an example. They are the same for AGM vs. lead acid. Same charge/float process.
And this is a company where their primary business is battery charging/maintenance.

ASS saves a bit of fuel, BMS saves a bit of fuel only charging as little as it has to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
And I use a similar logic, except in reverse. Just because the ASS and BMS systems can be made to work, and save a little bit of fuel, doesn't mean its the best solution for general driving and reliability for every end user.
Just my opinion..

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Yup been driving with no BMS for years on my 2011 been flawless! Got a $450 AGM battery in my Scout SSII and charge it with the same ol charger I use for any other low maint or deep cycle battery.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
And I use a similar logic, except in reverse. Just because the ASS and BMS systems can be made to work, and save a little bit of fuel, doesn't mean its the best solution for general driving and reliability for every end user.
Just my opinion..

Look at everybody’s MPG. The savings, are arguably negligible [if any]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Look at everybody’s MPG. The savings, are arguably negligible [if any]

Somebody did a calculation on using ASS vs not using one. If you drove 30k per year, with 50% highway & 50% city for 5 years, with a average price of gas @ $2.90 a gallon, every year you would save $.16 per year. That would be a real boost to your christmas savings account.

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
For a semi-permanent fix for the auto stop-start, i installed the Curt 58261 4-way flat connector tester. $4.00. It makes the truck think its towing a trailer and disables the stop start.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
Just my opinion..

I don't mind auto start stop at all and leave it on, but I certainly won't disagree with that statement.

However, where I personally have a hard time accepting all this whining is, we have a perfectly good button that turns it off. No side effects.

So what you'll have to do it again the next time you start the truck? You also have to shut the door, buckle the seatbelt, turn the key, and move the gear shift. No big deal to also press a button on the dash.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

1 - 20 of 20 Posts