F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about all the great things a tune will do. What are the disadvantages? Does increased boost cause head gasket issues? Any other issues?

I drive suburban roads to work, 16 miles round trip. I also tow a 7,500 lb travel trailer about once a month. Is a tune really for me?

·
Registered
216 Posts
The only one I can really think of is it voids your warranty.

Anytime you add hp and torque comes shortened life span but weather makes a noticeable difference is hard to say. There are guys with duratec foci doubling the hp and torque from stock by adding a turbo kit on a stock engine and getting 100k miles boosted and counting. I dont think anyone with a ecoboost has doubled the output yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It does not void USA warranty. Please read up on the warranty act in the USA.
A good calibration can actually improve engine life, reduce fuel consumption, and reduce emissions.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Like said above, adding a hot tune can cause motor damage if you abuse the truck, but for normal driving you shouldn't have a problem. Just make sure you put a good tuner on it, not all tuners are good for the motor...just do your research to see what everyone has had good results with.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Two disadvantages I can think of: 1) you should return to stock for a dealer visit 2)if you are not running a tow tune, you will need to load one prior to towing.
For item 2, 5 Star has a Perf/Tow tune that is good for all occasions. With others, you can run the tow tune all the time or switch between Perf/Street and Tow.

The advantage is that you will fall in love with your truck all over again.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Reactions: milesej05

·
Registered
191 Posts
Tunes may possibly void your warranty. I'm not sure what Ford's policy is, but if you get caught with a tune in a newer Corvette, GM can and will put a warranty block on your vehicle.
Tunes may cause damage to drive-train parts such as the transmission, engine and rear end.
Tunes probably violate federal emission laws.

Will a tune break something? It might and it might be just fine. When putting a tune on a turbocharged vehicle and raising the boost to obtain more HP you will be taking a risk. I am not sure anyone knows how big or small the risk is. Will I be putting a tune on my 2013 Lariat SCREW 4x4 Ecoboost? No way! I might get a tune for the Corvette though as it is out of GM warranty.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
What 1fastbob said. Also your dealership is a factor. Some are more accomodating than others.

I too want to get a tune, but I am holding off for now.

Reactions: 1fastbob

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Tunes may possibly void your warranty. I'm not sure what Ford's policy is, but if you get caught with a tune in a newer Corvette, GM can and will put a warranty block on your vehicle.
Tunes may cause damage to drive-train parts such as the transmission, engine and rear end.
Tunes probably violate federal emission laws.

Will a tune break something? It might and it might be just fine. When putting a tune on a turbocharged vehicle and raising the boost to obtain more HP you will be taking a risk. I am not sure anyone knows how big or small the risk is. Will I be putting a tune on my 2013 Lariat SCREW 4x4 Ecoboost? No way! I might get a tune for the Corvette though as it is out of GM warranty.
Most "canned" street tunes do not alter emissions and therefore do not violate any EPA laws or regualtions. My tuner has a 50 state C.A.R.B. EO number. As far as warranty, no sense debating the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act all over again here. I do however have the same concern as Bob above in regards to some guys "over -tuning" these trucks and what sort of power/drive train problems may surface down the road. You won't have that concern with a name brand "canned" street tune....but you also won't max out the highest potential power. It just depends on what you want from a tune. My humble advice....do your homework....read as much of this stuff for yourself (including Magnusson-Moss) and decide.

Happy Motorin' Man!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
750 Posts
Here's my question with regards to custom tunes vs. "canned" tunes. Please correct if im wrong but I thought a custom tune would be a safe option because of it being built to your vehicle while "canned" are more generic. I understand that a custom tune may push some thresholds of the drivetrain but I thought overall it was a safer option. Like I said I am new to tunes and just like most of you guys, I'm on the fence with tuning our trucks. Even if a tune creates a whole new animal out of your truck!

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Here's my question with regards to custom tunes vs. "canned" tunes. Please correct if im wrong but I thought a custom tune would be a safe option because of it being built to your vehicle while "canned" are more generic. I understand that a custom tune may push some thresholds of the drivetrain but I thought overall it was a safer option. Like I said I am new to tunes and just like most of you guys, I'm on the fence with tuning our trucks. Even if a tune creates a whole new animal out of your truck!
You're going to get a million opinions on that Pandora's box. In short, "canned" tunes by name brand companies like Hypertech and Superchips MUST be safe because they engineer and test them on bone-stock trucks and sell to the masses. They also have to pass emissions testing and safely "tune" the truck for all normal/practical every day use, such as towing. Custom tunes are typically done (not always but usually) to max out the potential of a driving style or application. Most of what are referred to as "custom" tunes, are (usually) guys that have a lot of experience "tuning" a particular type of set up, and they know what works....but don't mistake that for "custom matching" your personal truck. The only way to truly do that is to spend several hours of chassis dyno time at a "custom-tuner" who can tune YOUR truck in real time using software from companies like SCT, HP Tuning, etc.

Clear as mud.....;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
191 Posts
You're going to get a million opinions on that Pandora's box. In short, "canned" tunes by name brand companies like Hypertech and Superchips MUST be safe because they engineer and test them on bone-stock trucks and sell to the masses. They also have to pass emissions testing and safely "tune" the truck for all normal/practical every day use, such as towing. Custom tunes are typically done (not always but usually) to max out the potential of a driving style or application. Most of what are referred to as "custom" tunes, are (usually) guys that have a lot of experience "tuning" a particular type of set up, and they know what works....but don't mistake that for "custom matching" your personal truck. The only way to truly do that is to spend several hours of chassis dyno time at a "custom-tuner" who can tune YOUR truck in real time using software from companies like SCT, HP Tuning, etc.

Clear as mud.....;)
You are correct, a dyno is probably the only good proper way to tune a vehicle. One must have a competant dyno operator and tuner to do this. A proper dyno tune will help protect engines from being run overly lean (not good) on the fuel side, but ANYTIME you increase the power on any vehicle with a tune or install aftermarket performance parts there is a point that you will over-stress the drive-train. Nobody knows where this stress point is and if something is stressed beyond its design strength it may break. It may not break today or tomorrow it could be months and thousands of miles later. Please understand I am NOT saying a tune will break one of these Ecoboosts, but the possibility exists. I'm not even sure that the Ford engineers know the exact limits of the Ecoboost.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yea they really make it easy for you don't they? haha

I feel like I have a debate with myself daily whether to buy some an try them out or not. The only thing holding me back is that my truck is brand new at 8000 miles.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You are correct, a dyno is probably the only good proper way to tune a vehicle. One must have a competant dyno operator and tuner to do this. A proper dyno tune will help protect engines from being run overly lean (not good) on the fuel side, but ANYTIME you increase the power on any vehicle with a tune or install aftermarket performance parts there is a point that you will over-stress the drive-train. Nobody knows where this stress point is and if something is stressed beyond its design strength it may break. It may not break today or tomorrow it could be months and thousands of miles later. Please understand I am NOT saying a tune will break one of these Ecoboosts, but the possibility exists. I'm not even sure that the Ford engineers know the exact limits of the Ecoboost.
That's what I thought because all parts are designed with factor of safety. How large probably depends on the part but I guess like you said with adding aftermarket parts it may increase the load on a certain part. thus creating a shortened life span on the truck.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yea they really make it easy for you don't they? haha

I feel like I have a debate with myself daily whether to buy some an try them out or not. The only thing holding me back is that my truck is brand new at 8000 miles.
I guess a guy has to figure out how much risk he is willing to take. It may depend on what a guy has in the ol' bank account.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My truck (for now) is running an 87oct "canned" tune by a well-known name brand....and it just rolled over 2k miles....:cool:
You are not making my life any easier! haha
Between the tunes and the rigid light installs I can just see a very large purchase in my future.

Are you happy with your canned tune though at first I had no problem with having one but from what read eveyon is leaning towards tunes such as 5* or SSI

·
Registered
750 Posts
I guess a guy has to figure out how much risk he is willing to take. It may depend on what a guy has in the ol' bank account.
Isnt that the truth the price we pay to have fun.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Bob's point is right on target...in racing, you're always trying new strategies, parts, and theories....and you always, ALWAYS find the next weakest link. That's the part that breaks once you "improved" some other part to the point that the next weakest link fails....and so on and so on....same holds true for pushing the limits of a street driven vehicle....so for your 30k miles per year ever day guy like me....canned tunes is likely where I will stay - but that's just me.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts