F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of our trucks, except the Raptors, Harley's, and I believe some FX4's, have the tail lights that have regular chrome in the middle with a white ring around the outside. I think this can look good one some trucks, especially white ones, but my truck is dark grey, and has no white whatsoever on the outside, so it really stood out and looked cheesy. I ordered some Harley tails so I could get the blacked out inside and better reflectors, but they still had the white ring, so if you don't like it either, or if you have a truck you like to black out, here's how you do it.

What you need:

Auto lens tint spray (I use Rustoleum)
painter's tape - use as good as you can afford (Frog Tape)
newspaper
1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper
auto clear coat (I used Rustoleum)
polishing compound (I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound)
cleaner wax (I used Meguiar's Cleaner Wax)

How to:

1 - place tape very very carefully around the inside of the white ring, this will require cutting curved pieces of tape to match the corners
2 - once this is done, cut newspaper to cover the rest of the inside of your tail lights so you don't get any overspray - be sure to seal up any holes or open pages or overspray will get in
3 - all you should have exposed is the white ring, and the back side of your lights, now put tape over every hole on the back side
4 - clean the outside white ring, and backside with alcohol and a rag - do not use too much or you may make the tape come up - also do not touch this area after you wipe it
5 - now you're ready to tint, I went over it about 5 times around the outside of the lens, and on the backside where it curves into the back - this is important or you will still have white showing through
6 - when you have the front and back of the white ring tinted to your liking, let it dry - depending on the weather, and if it's sunny, follow directions on the can, but let dry completely for a day
7 - once dry, take off the tape, and wet sand (with dish soap) the entire tail light with 1500 grit sandpaper, just enough to get the whole thing roughed up and sand down your tint line JUST A LITTLE!
8 - rinse with water and scrub with your hand to get everything off, then dry with a hair dryer, no towels or rags since they have lint
9 - apply a fairly thick layer of clear coat, not enough to run, but a decent amount
10 - this is where you can clear coat to your liking, but I used about 5 layers before any sanding, allowing to dry 10 minutes between layers
11 - allow clear coat to dry for a day
12 - after drying, wet sand (with dish soap) with 1500 grit sandpaper again, being very careful not to sand too much in one spot, then rinse and scrub with your hand as before - after drying, you will see any areas you need to sand more to get a smooth surface
13 - after your surface has the pits and roughness out, give it a final wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper and be sure to rinse really well
14 - once dry, use your polishing compound - apply once evenly with some good pressure, wipe off, and then reapply with lighter pressure for more of a buff
15 - using your wax, put 2 layers, and apply the same way you did using the polishing compound, and you should have a nice clear shine

As always, any questions, please post on the thread and I will answer when I can. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Reactions: VolForLife

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
A few people just used nail polish on the inside edge and it turns out decent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This turned out really good, looks professional for sure. Plus, the whole light is protected with clear coat. I'm sure the other way is much faster though haha.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Thanks for this write up and I agree a thousand percent on the white ring even on my Harley tails. I still have my XLT tails, so I think I may try this.

Whatcha gonna do about those chrome bumpers?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried that, didn't work, that's when I came up with this idea, and just tinted the other ones completely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the chrome on the truck. I will leave it, I want a black, chrome, grey, and red theme. Center cap on my wheels has red lettering, and I am going to do red and black leather interior eventually. Wish I could change the blue dash listing to red like I could in my old Mustang.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased some oem looking aftermarket tail lights. Because they always leak, I ran silicone in the gap between the lense and housing. They don't leak, but you can see the clear silicone through that edge. I hate it! This thread looks like the solution I've been hoping for! Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts