F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious if anyone has had issues doing their own oil changes when it comes to warranty claims. Every time I've had a warranty claim they asked for detailed oil change documentation, I've always had it done at the dealership when my trucks are in warranty just for that reason.

Just curious how everybody is going about documentation with oil changes.

Had my brand new 2019 in the dealership, just happened to review my dash cam video because of a different incident and came across this. I had my 2 year old daughter with me and she had a meltdown when we got there so I was rushed to get out of the truck, I accidentally forgot my phone in the truck, you can hear his comment after I walk away.

There was a few things that pissed me off that day, the other thing was an older gentleman that came in with his brand new truck with a TSB letter he got for the Frozen latch, he told the service department guy he wanted to leave his truck to have it taken care of and the service department guy said it doesn't apply to him because he doesn't live in a cold climate, as if no one travels I guess.
After talking with the old guy he said he actually has property where it does actually freeze and in the mornings he has to bring two cups of hot water out so he can get into his truck.
On top of that I don't think I've ever been charged the same price for an oil change at this place

Anyways rant over, just mainly wondering how people are documenting their oil changes

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
as long as you have the date and mileage when it was performed you are just fine

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious if anyone has had issues doing their own oil changes when it comes to warranty claims. Every time I've had a warranty claim they asked for detailed oil change documentation, I've always had it done at the dealership when my trucks are in warranty just for that reason.

Just curious how everybody is going about documentation with oil changes.

Had my brand new 2019 in the dealership, just happened to review my dash cam video because of a different incident and came across this. I had my 2 year old daughter with me and she had a meltdown when we got there so I was rushed to get out of the truck, I accidentally forgot my phone in the truck, you can hear his comment after I walk away.

There was a few things that pissed me off that day, the other thing was an older gentleman that came in with his brand new truck with a TSB letter he got for the Frozen latch, he told the service department guy he wanted to leave his truck to have it taken care of and the service department guy said it doesn't apply to him because he doesn't live in a cold climate, as if no one travels I guess.
After talking with the old guy he said he actually has property where it does actually freeze and in the mornings he has to bring two cups of hot water out so he can get into his truck.
On top of that I don't think I've ever been charged the same price for an oil change at this place

Anyways rant over, just mainly wondering how people are documenting their oil changes

Lol I love how he makes sure I'm good and far away before he says what he says.
So yeah [email protected] that place, and sadly that's the best service department out of about 7 other dealerships in my city, so I will be changing my own oil from here on out and avoiding the dealership like the plague.

I called the dealership and let them know they may want to watch what they say when they are in customers Vehicles because a lot of people have dash cams in their vehicles nowadays

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as long as you have the date and mileage when it was performed you are just fine
I just found that Carfax app, that is pretty sweet, you can actually take pictures of your receipts also

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I keep a log book in my glove box. It lists the date, mileage and brand, type and weight of oil and filter. It also lists the little things I do like installing Bilstein’s, alignments and rotation intervals (same 3000 mile interval as my oil changes), fender liners, when it was sealed or coated etc. It’s pretty detailed but its really only for my eyes and memory. I don’t have any idea if that would be acceptable in the eyes of those providing a warranty.

·
Administrator
7,826 Posts
I keep a log of ALL maintenance done on the truck as well as all the money I spend on accessories, maintenance items, etc. I haven't had to print it out as of yet, but just trying to protect myself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I keep a log book in my glove box. It lists the date, mileage and brand, type and weight of oil and filter. It also lists the little things I do like installing Bilstein’s, alignments and rotation intervals (same 3000 mile interval as my oil changes), fender liners, when it was sealed or coated etc. It’s pretty detailed but its really only for my eyes and memory. I don’t have any idea if that would be acceptable in the eyes of those providing a warranty.
This is what I do except in an excel spreadsheet. Very handy for knowing when the last time and mileage something was done.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
It's a law as you all know you can do maintenance yourself.

How does a receipt prove anything anyways? I can show i bought oil but it doesn't mean it was changed.

That being said i track my oil changes in Excel and i also have proof of oil analysis.....will i ever go to a dealer for anything? No.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
It's a law as you all know you can do maintenance yourself.

How does a receipt prove anything anyways? I can show i bought oil but it doesn't mean it was changed.

That being said i track my oil changes in Excel and i also have proof of oil analysis.....will i ever go to a dealer for anything? No.
Excel doesn’t prove anything either as well as an oil analysis. I can fake a spread sheet and have the oil in my lawnmower tested and say it was from my truck. Just saying.

Maybe be we can video record ourselves while the oil is actually coming out of the pan. I guess if there was a problem it’s going to be our word against their word. And you know how nasty the warranty guy can be.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If they really want they will fight it and since the dealerships and manufacturers have the money they would probably win.
I keep a binder with all receipts for oil changes with date/mileage done and I make a copy of the receipt since the thermal receipts will fade. I do this for air filters, brakes, tires, rotation, install of any new/replacements parts as well. Then when I sell the vehicle I can also show the potential buyer this. People do like to see service records and it helps.
As far as warranty, luckily I've never had a vehicle in for a warranty issue that I would have to prove oil was changed.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Excel doesn’t prove anything either as well as an oil analysis. I can fake a spread sheet and have the oil in my lawnmower tested and say it was from my truck. Just saying.

Maybe be we can video record ourselves while the oil is actually coming out of the pan. I guess if there was a problem it’s going to be our word against their word. And you know how nasty the warranty guy can be.
An oil sample holds weight because it is a third party and they can confirm oil was received and probably have data across every car, machinery, including lawn mowers etc and can disprove that.

At the end of the day the law is the law, you are allowed to do it yourself. The dealer would have to prove/determine the oil was the reason on whatever damage occurred IE they sampled the oil themselves when the warranty work ws brought in and determined it was not changed and had been severely degraded causing a bearing to wipe out.

·
Registered
573 Posts
An oil sample holds weight because it is a third party and they can confirm oil was received and probably have data across every car, machinery, including lawn mowers etc and can disprove that..
Eh, like receipts who says the oil actually came from the vehicle the owner claims. It's all a crap shoot but if the dealer is honest they can tell if the engine has been taken care of or had the same oil in it from 50-60k miles.
I just do it and don't worry about it. I have as much loyalty to any company as they have to me so if something happens and they don't believe me I won't buy form them again. I know they really won't care but that's life.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure about oil changes, but when the dealer found a handful of pricey issues with my 2011 at 130k (warped exhaust manifold, leaky turbo coolant fittings, leaking water pump, leaking transmission bulkhead connector, a couple oil leaks) the dealer's Lifetime warranty that came with the truck (we purchased it new) should have covered all repairs... they denied our claim because we could not "prove" that tire rotations were performed at the specified intervals! Guess that uneven tire wear caused my exhaust to overheat... We had all service done at the dealer from the day it was new, but took it to the tire shop for "free" rotations after every oil change. At one point the service manager tried to claim that my handwritten log wasn't valid because to be valid, he said, service records have to be "computer generated..". this was obviously total BS and is not stated anywhere in the warranty paperwork.

This isn't the same as the factory warranty but it sure did chap my a$$!!! Bottom line, if you have a crappy dealer or service department, there is no telling what they may try to pull.

And now I'll digress a bit as this may interest some of you... they found the problems above when we took it in with CEL and complaining of limp mode upon heavy acceleration. The fix, "you need new plugs, again..." no acknowledgement of the CAC issue which I found to be full of sludge while going through the list of common issues once we had given up on fighting the warranty claim.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I keep all the bills of sales and I take picture of , oil jugs , filter , and truck on ramps + the dash milleage indicator and dates of the pictures taken , it would be hard for Ford to deny warranty without proving that my records are not valid

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I keep a google doc for my truck and jeep. I write down the mileage, what was done, and the exact parts used(oil filter brand/pn, oil brand + type). Ill even track tire rotations in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts